ValerieR

advice please! Getting 3 ex-battery chickens on 24 April

Hi everyone!

I am very excited - have finally bought an eglu classic off ebay and am getting 3 ex-batt girls on 24 April. I am new to this and I am sure I willl be on here often picking up tips and asking questions!

First daft question - when I get them home where do I put them? Should I put them straight in their wee house or just into the run? Will they find their way into the nesting area ok? I am sure I read somewhere about them hurting their wee legs if you dump them on the roosting bars? And should they be kept in the run for a while or is it ok to give them the run of the garden?

I am buying sacks of ex-batt feed from the co-ordinator and I know to make sure they have fresh water. Does this feed need to be supplemented with anything? How soon can I give them treats without giving them the squits? Do they need to be on the ex-batt feed for ever or one the 40kg I am buying runs out can I change to "normal" food?

Our garden is quite big for a modern house - It is an L shape, with several raised veg beds and a greenhouse at one end . There is a 6 foot wall most of the way round and a 6 foot fence round the rest. I have just had a new 6 ft wooden gate fitted as I thought they would be able to squeeze through the wrought iron one there previously. I am keen to keep the chickens out of the veg! I already use netting to prevent my 3 cats using them as deluxe litter trays but I doubt that would keep the hens out! SO - I can either erect another 6 foot fence right across the garden (30 feet!) to demarcate the veg area - or - a less drastic (and expensive!) solution - use the poultry net stuff which I think is only 4 feet high? Would they fly over that do you think?

The area the girls will get to wander in is about 30 feet by 70 feet I think. The grass is already very squelchy and liable to turn to a muddy morass if walked upon - I cant wait for the sun to come and dry it out before the girls arrive!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice

Val

Wow that is a lot of questions :wink:

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your soon to arrive ex batts :dance:

-when I get them home where do I put them? Should I put them straight in their wee house or just into the run? Depends what time you get them home, if its after dark straight into the house, if its daytime into the run (although they will probably need help into knowing where to go at bedtime :wink:

Will they find their way into the nesting area ok? Probably not initially, my ex batts just laid anywhere where they first arrived, but you can encourage them by putting a china egg in the nesting box so they get an idea

I am sure I read somewhere about them hurting their wee legs if you dump them on the roosting bars? Not heard this about roosting bars, but they are weak initially so do need TLC initially whilst they get their strength

And should they be kept in the run for a while or is it ok to give them the run of the garden? You need to keep them in their run for the first 5 days so they imprint where home is before you let them free-range

I am buying sacks of ex-batt feed from the co-ordinator and I know to make sure they have fresh water. Does this feed need to be supplemented with anything? Is it the ex batt feed? As that is great. Putting lifeguard in their water is great to get them in great condition

How soon can I give them treats without giving them the squits? They will probably have upset stomachs for the first 10 days or so. However, you can give them treats straight away, although they may be wary initially as they would have never had treats before

Do they need to be on the ex-batt feed for ever or one the 40kg I am buying runs out can I change to "normal" food? They will need to be on layers mash, and can be introduced to pellets gradually (by mixing the 2 and varying the quantities). Ex batts food is good, but other pellets will be fine after a while[/color]

Our garden is quite big for a modern house - It is an L shape, with several raised veg beds and a greenhouse at one end . There is a 6 foot wall most of the way round and a 6 foot fence round the rest. I have just had a new 6 ft wooden gate fitted as I thought they would be able to squeeze through the wrought iron one there previously. I am keen to keep the chickens out of the veg! Good luck with that :lol:

I already use netting to prevent my 3 cats using them as deluxe litter trays but I doubt that would keep the hens out! SO - I can either erect another 6 foot fence right across the garden (30 feet!) to demarcate the veg area - or - a less drastic (and expensive!) solution - use the poultry net stuff which I think is only 4 feet high? Would they fly over that do you think? Initially no, after they have regained their strength no problem. My ex batt Ace is often demolishing my veg beds :wink:

Hope this helps :D

Hi - Well done on choosing ex batts, you'll love them!!

First answer - For me, where I would put them would depend on the time of day. If daylight I would put them in the run and leave them to investigae. If dark - straight in the eglu for the night. If put straight in the run, expect them to just stand there, shell shocked!

I'd give them a few days to adjust before allowing them to free range. With mine, even when I opened the gate to let them loose, they remained in the run until they felt brave enough.

With the food, When you've got half a bag left, start mixing through layers pellets. Gradually add more layers pellets then ex batt food, they'll never notice the transition!

Treats - slow and steady! Some things they'll look at as though to say...'and what is that :eh: ?

Protecting your beds with 4' high net - maybe? I know it would be fine with mine.

Good luck and Enjoy!!

Hooray for getting ex-batts! You will just love them :lol:

Loads of good advice already posted, but basically...

Be prepared to put them to bed for the first few nights as they are used to going to sleep where they are.

Be prepared for eggs to be laid all over the place at first but they will get the hang of the nestbox sooner or later.

The ex batt feed is great, just dish it up as it is - no need for supplements. It contains everything they need. Up to you whether to keep them on this food forever or switch to cheaper mash/pellets in the future.

I wouldn't even bother with treats for the first few weeks, mine looked at me like I was gone out the first few times I gave them something other than their ex batt crumb! I found shredding things into wormy shapes or bite sized pieces helped them to recognise and eat it as food.

As for the 4ft netting, I use this to section my garden off and my girls have never so much as bothered to go over it, although I know they are quite capable. However they have squeezed under on numerous occasions - I recommend tent pegs! :lol:

As you watch your new chooks grow in confidence you will soon see how strong a chicken's instincts are. They will learn all by themselves how to be normal hens - preening, dustbathing, laying in a nestbox, scratching for food... it really is heartwarming to watch :D

Thanks guys!

Debs what is lifeguard and where can I buy it??

Another silly question - do I put the straw or shredded paper or horsey stuff I am going to try and buy just in the nest box or do I put on the bars as well? Am concerned about the cold, what with all this wind we are having! Should I put a shower curtain or tarp on the run because of that? The eglu shade thingy wont offer much protection from the elements and its always windy where I live - at the top of a hill!

Jellykelly I see you have ex-batts - and you reckon a 4ft net would keep them out? Mmmm am in a quandary ..... the fence is going to be expensive but I wouldnt want to ruin all the veg ....

Another question - do most people buy feed off the internet or is that the kind of think big pet superstores sell? Or should I try and find a farm shop or poultry supply business nearby?

I am so delighted to be giving these miserable wee souls at least some happiness in their lives! Can't wait.

I will get them home about 5pm ..... so - run or hoosie do you reckon??

val

Welcome and congratulations from me too!

Debs what is lifeguard and where can I buy it?? It's a liquid supplement which is a good health tonic. You can get it on Ebay or I've just noticed it for sale in my local Wyevale garden centre. I think Countrywide also sell it?

Another silly question - do I put the straw or shredded paper or horsey stuff I am going to try and buy just in the nest box or do I put on the bars as well? Just the nest box is fine :)

Am concerned about the cold, what with all this wind we are having! Should I put a shower curtain or tarp on the run because of that? The eglu shade thingy wont offer much protection from the elements and its always windy where I live - at the top of a hill! Yes, I would fit a shower curtain (in fact, I have!)

Jellykelly I see you have ex-batts - and you reckon a 4ft net would keep them out? If you buy fabric netting, it's soft and floppy and puts them off as they can't flap up onto it and perch - it just sags. We're trying 50cm plastic netting at the moment to protect our new lawn - it's working on 3 out of 4 of them! It's psychological warfare and I've conned 3 but one's wised up already :lol: If I had a pound for every time I've put her back today... :shock:

Another question - do most people buy feed off the internet or is that the kind of think big pet superstores sell? Or should I try and find a farm shop or poultry supply business nearby? I buy exbatt pellets from a poultry supplier but buy from Countrywide if I get stuck.

I will get them home about 5pm ..... so - run or hoosie do you reckon?? I think I'd say house and leave the door to the run open in case they fancy a wander... but it depends on them and how shocked they are. You'll all be exhausted by then! We got ours home at 11am and it was hours before they ventured out of the house into the run :shock:

Good luck! Once they settle in and start to show their characters (and they do have the MOST AMAZING characters), you'll love'em to bits! I've got one barking mad one and one really affectionate :D

Just to add to the good advice on there that if you give the BHWT ex-bat careline a ring they'll be able to tell you your nearest stockist of ex-bat feed if you want to go down that route. Tel: 01362 822 904.

Also my current new ladies (rescued and picked up 27 March) are only now just discovering the wider garden. They currently reside on our decking and consider that their kingdom even though they are free to roam. 2 are more confident and will come down but last night I carried the others down on to the grass and they loved it when they got there - it just hadn't occurred to them to try it :D

Good luck, you'll love having them!

Hi Valerie, cant add anything else to the excellent advice already given just wanted to say hello :D

Its such an exiting time, getting your first chickens, i bet you cant wait to get them now :lol:

Dont worry at all, if you do have any problems, worries or concerns you can be sure of a quick answer on here.

Dont forget to let us know when you have them and we do love photos :wink:

:D

Congratulations, you'll love them.

I got mine mid Feb and due to unforseen circumstances they had to spend the first couple of days in a livestock trailer, not ideal but still better than where they had come from. I waited until it was going dark to post them into the eglu and then let them out into the run the next morning. They did need a bit of encouragement to go out the first time but managed to put themselves to bed that night.

Mine have laid in the nesting box right from the start. I use chopped straw in mine, we get big bales for the horses but you can get smaller vac packed bags from pet chops.

I had heard about them not being strong enough for the perches but in the end just let them get on with it and they were fine.

Mine are on the ex bat crumbs and are doing great on them, their feathers have more or less come back.

I got the winter shade thing with the eglu which has been great for keeping the rain off the run the last week or so but if you are wanting a wind break too then it wouldn't go far enough down the side I don't think.

Treat wise I put some corn on the cob in the run one day and they looked at it like it was a bomb about to go off, left it for a few days and then devoured it, they love it now. Afternoons they get some boiled up veg s"Ooops, word censored!"s mixed with some of the ex bat crumb, the first few times they left it, now they are waiting for it and calling out, you can barely get the dish in the run for pushing and barging!

A lot of people told me that they would hardly lay when I first got them, but in less that 2 months we've had over 90 eggs :D

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I am :D

Thanks everyone! I can hardly wait! My husband is not too keen but I am sure they will win him over. He says his work colleagues are starting to call him Farmer Barleymow! :lol:

I have decided I am going to name the girls after my sisters - Joyce, Janice and Sheila! :lol:

Don't worry, they will win him over.

It took me four years :!: to persuade my DH to get some chickens. He wasn't very impressed with them at first and called me the mad chicken lady on several occasions in the early days (and not in an affectionate way :lol: )

But he loves the girls now, sneaking out in the garden to feed them worms, always asking how many eggs they have layed as soon as he comes home from work, watching them out of the window when he thinks I'm not looking. He says he wouldn't be without them now :dance:

BTW I love the names you have chosen - very suitable for hens!

MY hubby was quickly won around too - though he still insists he hasn't been . I catch him leaning over the sink just watching them. He's constantly trying to grab them for a cuddle, whether they want to be cuddled or not.

We'll have to start taking votes on how quickly your three hens turn into, five, seven, ten or even more!!

Lavenders Blue - my sisters will be chuffed when I tell them they have good hen names! :P

When I got my fourth cat my husband finally gave up all hope of trying to curtail my activities. My son (aged 5 at the time) went around saying "My mum says cats are like shoes and handbags - you can never have too many!" I suspect he will soon be saying the same thing about chickens...... :roll: