jellykelly

Scary moment with fox

I was just in the girls run when one chicken became agitated and started really boking. I looked around and could see nothing - until there was an enormous thud and Mr fox landed on the roof.

It scared the life out of me, no wonder the chickens were frantic. I banged the roof and it got off. I popped outside the run to it see it standing on the 7' wall waiting to see what I was. Only when I hollered and ran at it did it move.

Nasty brazen fox!

I only ordered a better run (hubby biult the current wonky one) yesterday. I now can't wait until I receive it!

Supersoaker? I don't know about that!! I've got a chair leg standing up against the run (just in case).

I'll be hiding in there again tonight at dusk!

Although hubby's run is a bit wonky, it is secure so I shouldn't really worry - it is just quite scary to see them try it on, no fear at all.

Oh gosh! :shock:

We have a dog that is supposed to keep foxes away with his scent and apparently if your OH pees around the boundary it should help too.

Maybe you could get some prickly strips to go on top of the wall too.

And some barbed wire. And a couple of land mines. Maybe i'm getting a bit ott - i'd be so worried :oops:

We had a badger that was coming through the garden, it left some HUGE footprints on the veggie patch (and stole a cabbage shoot :() and i went around and blocked off it's suspected route with rocks and planks and nails and plants and a privacy screen :lol: I'm super paranoid since i decide i love them and they love me :lol:

Hopefully your new run will be there asap :)

I have considered the rolled razor wire and land mine idea. Apparantly I need the neighbours permission before setting live explosives though. Grr - red tape!!

Hubby claims that he doesn't really 'love' the chickens as much as I do. However, when I came in and told him about the fox, he was straight out there, peeing along the perimeter - It wasn't even really dark, so I bet the neighbours got an eyeful :lol:

I was told that foxes are a far bigger problem in towns than in the country. At least where we are "Ooops, word censored!"ody would care about the occasional gun shot and the foxes haven't become so brazen as to come into gardens in broad daylight (see them across the fields but not the gardens). I'm guessing that you're in a town so guns aren't an option?

, 2010 8:05 pm

I have spent a fair bit of time working with foxes and I can guarantee you that human scent (wee!!) in a garden will NOT deter them, so don't bother! The only legal chemical deterrant that I know works is called Renardine. You soak clothes/absorbant material with the Renardine and place at your point of entry for a fox - it can also be painted on a fence (as foxes can easily scale a 6ft fence). That being said, Renardine is washed away (partially) during rain and so must be used long-term to be even a bit effective. Foxes are creatures of habit, but your chucks are most at risk during the late summer when the foxey sub-adults are leaving home and all looking for new territories - around end August/September. Apart from electric fencing or covered runs, there simply are no guarantees. However, the presence of a dog - or even a feisty cat in the household will also be a deterrent.WildeWoman

Freshly Laid Egg

Private messageE-mail WildeWoman

However This "Renardine" is banned in the UK.

last 2 nights fox has been in the garden 1-2 meters away from me and my OH . The fox comes round at about 7.30pm then back again an hour or two later- sits on a neighbours roof and waits, then jumps down into garden, about 6-7ft and walks up and down the run tormenting the girls. AND we have a fox watch!The first night we had just closed the run door as they had been free ranging for a bit- very near miss.

Our Neighbour kindly got his dog to come and go round the garden today, but not sure how long this will last, and if the fox is that bothered. The fox didn't move when I saw it, I had to run towards it growling!! feel a bit stupid, but it was instinctive!I like the idea of using the hose! Hope he gets fed up soon, been no visits for months then he appears and he is massive! :anxious: Think he must have just had some cubs....

I've not seen my fox since that night - although I know that doesn't mean he isn't visiting.

I still have the chair leg beside the run, just in case. I have also seen the chooks practising they're tai-chi moves in the garden.

Leg stretch back, wing out stretched and breathe. They've become quite practised in the art!

yes, fox watch plugged into mains I can almost hear it squealing?? it certainly pips?? Have tried it in a few positions, think the fox maybe deaf or desperate. It's not been around so far tonight, but I have spent the morning increasing the fence height, they are pampered chickens...I have had numerous offers of wee and dog poo- I'm sure this is a good thing, although not sure it will work long term, just have to keep vigilant and keep the hose handy...the girls don't help by staying up late and looking at me as if to say 'why are you looking at me?' oblivious to the threat... :roll:

yes, fox watch plugged into mains I can almost hear it squealing?? it certainly pips?? Have tried it in a few positions, think the fox maybe deaf or desperate.

I came to the same conclusion with our fox watch...certainly wouldn't rely on it...

we are similarly targeted by a local fox although semi rural, and electric fencing or a WIR is really the only way forward imo....but the hose/water may work because it's a bit of a "magic"deterrent..i.e. they don't necessarily associate the scary spray sensation with the non scary human..

Needless to say..don't leave them unsupervised even for a few minutes...I lost one of my girls in no time at all!

yes, fox watch plugged into mains I can almost hear it squealing?? it certainly pips?? Have tried it in a few positions

ah ha...

YOU are not supposed to hear it!!! except the pip thing!

It IS faulty..

the company I purchased mine from said it was fine but the b thing drove ME nuts I couldn't bear to sit out with it but when I read up on the makers website I thought I dunno.... :?

so I rang them and thy confirmed it should be in audible to our ears.

sent it back and replacesment came week later.

As I said previosly I was unlucky enough to have 2 faulty, the 2nd one randomly pip pipped then pipped like a machine gun.

changing it MAY "help" deter.

also heard they don't like the hose deterrrant either!!!

good luck

It was back. Scrawny little thing had the nerve to walk straight past my living room window practically blowing raspberries as it went by :evil: . I rushed out in dh's too big trainers to flap, growl and swipe at it. It ducked away. By the time I had got to the end of the garden to fetch a broom, it was sat on the wall glaring at me. I had a swipe but it moved too quick.

My misson for the next few evenings is to thwack a fox! Should I not succeed, I will be giving the father in law a ring and asking hm to bring up a lovely rifle for an evenings shooting!