jsbates65

chicken names. . .

First a question. . .I've heard that Silkies can not fly and that they are relatively quiet. Is this correct?

Now for the names. . .I am getting a light buff & a white silkie. Name considerations right now: Esther & Fanny (2 b streisand characters), Judy & Liza (garland & minelli), Louise & Marlene (brooks & dietrich) , Stevie & Carly (nicks & simon). .. I'm sure I'll come up with more name-pairs, but any thoughts? ;-) I want the perfect chicken names. . .

8) Hi, all those names sound great. A lot of us take a theme to choose names for pairs or groups of hens.

Maybe with those ideas in mind, you will know which to pick according to what suits the birds you get when you see them.

Sorry, I don't know much about silkies myself, but good luck with the chickenkeeping & welcome to the forum. :)

Hello and welcome.

Names are sooo important aren't they.

You'll know straight away when the right ones present themselves, so don't rush.

I personally like the food theme.

If its pairs you are looking for there are always

Cagney and Lacey

Posh and Pecks

Trinny and Susannah (There are a few of these on the forum)

Sam and Ella (think about it!)

Yoko and Layla

Rita and Mavis (Quite a few of these too)

Good luck!

I wanted to call my two Poo and Lay so I could shout "PooLay" down the garden and it would sound like I was shouting chicken in French. Plus poo-ing and lay-ing are two things they excel in!

BUT.....

...OH said "no way" so we named them Gwen and Doris instead :roll::lol:

A theme is good, but beware of pairs of names ... sadly, you might end up with just one. A friend called his cats Scribble and Doodle, which we thought highly amusing, but sadly Scribble met with an accident :( He was left with a cat called Doodle, which just sounded a bit odd! Make sure the names work on their own as well. As someone has already said, your hens will have their own personalities.

Buurk - i usually scream this at bad drivers! :lol::lol::lol:

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I couldn't possibly name my chooks what I shout at drivers - what would the neighbours think?!

Buurk - i usually scream this at bad drivers! :lol::lol::lol:

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I couldn't possibly name my chooks what I shout at drivers - what would the neighbours think?!

'That bl**dy neighbour next door :roll: shouting all kinds of rude words in the garden again, you know i think shes not taking her medication!' :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Hi,

Good luck with your new girls :lol:

Our 3 GNR's are obviously foodie related. My hubbo also named our other 2 Bovan Nera's as Patty & Selma (Bart Simpsons aunties) and sadly we only have Selma left. If I had chosen it would have been Jennifer & Clarissa (2 fat ladies) so good luck whatever you choose.

Sal :wink: