Cinnamon

Woodchip questions

I am re doing the ground cover on the hens walk in pen soon & think I would like to try some woodchip as a base.

But,I am having a horrible time trying to get hold of it :?

Whenever I ask for wood chip or chipped wood I am either offered sawdust,wood shavings or chipped bark :roll:

I assume its much chunkier than sawdust,right?

So it isn't light enough to be at risk from the wind & blowing into the girls eyes.....

And what colour is it....lighter than bark,is that right???

So many questions - sorry :lol:

It's chunky! You could try putting a plea on your local freecycle - I got a pile once from there, or phone round tree surgeons, or the parks department of your local council, as they will both have a fairly regular supply of wood chips, from putting old branches through the chipper. If you get a generous tree surgeon, you'll get it for nothing. :D

I used bark chips at first and it's soggy after it rains. Woodchip is far superior and doesnt have certain moulds in it (allegedly).

I bought Woodchip from my local Wyvale garden centre - they had it in a couple of colours but beware its expensive buying it like that. About £6.50 for 80 litre bag.

Tree surgeons are glad to get rid of it and will sometimes drop you a load free or for the cost of the fuel. It will be fresh straight from the last trees that they cut down and has a great new wood smell.

OK, I think I have found the right stuff :P

My 2 local Wyvales don't do it ("won't bark chip do???" :roll: ), but a local builders yard does.

They can do one of those mega bags that comes on a crane for £50, & I have seen it & it is the right stuff,not sawdust. I think they are cubic metre bags,so it will be plenty for my 2 pens,plus a bit left over.

Starage is no problem for any spare stuff...it can go under the carport with all the other essential stuff we seem to accumulate!

I have been put off trying a tree surgeon as a friend had a load & it had leafs & twigs & all sorts in it.It was more like a proper mulch than the chunky stuff I saw at the buliders yard. I worry that the hens might find a poisonous leaf or something.

I am looking forward to having it there now as I think the light colour will look really good too.

Thanks everyone :P

My last lot of woodchips came from the school where I work :D

Quite a few trees had blown down in the storms. The gardeners had chopped up the trunks and there were huge piles of chipped wood just lying around :D I spent a happy hour bagging up the wood. It had lots of pine cones, twigs and leaves in with it. The Hens went mad scratching through it all looking for insects :D

I wasn't keen on the B&Q woodchips as they seemed to rot down really quickly and never seemed to dry out even though the chicken run is covered.

My local council sell woodchips. The wood is rescued from landfill sites. chipped and then sold.

I would use Aubiose,because I really like the stuff & think its brill in the litter tray & nest box.But I HATE the way it sticks to your shoes in a walk-in pen,then gets trodden all the way up the garden & usually into the house too :roll:

I worry its a bit light too, & will get kicked out of the pen by my big hens really easliy - better for Bantams maybe???

Shame because its great stuff & really convenient to use.

I have been put off trying a tree surgeon as a friend had a load & it had leafs & twigs & all sorts in it.It was more like a proper mulch than the chunky stuff I saw at the buliders yard. I worry that the hens might find a poisonous leaf or something.

I feel exactly the same. I put leaves in the run sometimes, but I know where they have come from.