Griffin Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 (edited) Bridget Brahma has hatched one of the FW Marans It's a massive chick and I'm amazed to see it because I really didn't expect it to hatch. 5/6 eggs arrived smashed in the post, this egg was the sole survivor but as it's shell was so dark I couldn't candle it. I'm so pleased and hoping it's a girl because we're keeping at least one of these. Bridget still has another two eggs under her. Francesca has two eggs now too, but she's sat on, squashed and murdered another egg during the night Poor thing was fully formed aswell, so near yet so far The seventh egg went missing a few days ago Edited May 9, 2010 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 What a roller coaster Griffin wonderful news about the hatcher , but sad about the lost ones Fingers crossed for the last 4 Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 6, 2010 Author Share Posted May 6, 2010 Francesca has been removed from the broody coop She's smashed another egg, this time I found the chick under her still alive encased in membranes and crushed shell. I've carefully got it out, minimal blood loss and the yolk had been absorbed. It's obviously not in the best shape possible but it's alive and now in the care of Bridget with it's sibling and the remaining eggs. I think Francesca is just too clumsy, I'm sure she doesn't mean to hurt her chicks but I guess she can hear them and the excitement made her fidget about a bit. I can't risk her damaging any more with her clumsiness so she's now back with the rest of the flock, running around, wings outstretched saying RRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR Hopefully in a day or two she'll calm down. I'll not be using her again Bridget on the otherhand is doing a brilliant job and I hope by tomorrow morning she has a lovely little family to care for. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 6, 2010 Author Share Posted May 6, 2010 Squashed chick is doing well Another egg has pipped so fingers crossed when I go out in the morning Bridget has at least three fat chicks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Aw what a shame but fingers crossed for the survivors Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 6, 2010 Share Posted May 6, 2010 Congrats about the broody - didn't you expect her to be the good sister out of the two? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 Yes Francesca has a calmer nature. Bridget is the one that screams! I do think it's in Francescas best interests to be back with the rest of the flock. She looked really pale earlier and feels as light as a feather. I'll be spoiling her rotten to fatten her up again Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 Squashed chick is doing brilliantly I'm so pleased Still the pipped egg and two unpipped ones to go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Glad to hear little chickies are doing well! I had a cold wet slightly squished and thrown about chick last week when Maria Silkie didn`t take to motherhood. Redwing suggested a light blow-dry - worked wonders Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 Number one and Squashy have been joined by another chick I can't hear anything from the remaining eggs so I think Bridget will be a mum to three Number one is out and about already, it's so sweet. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 7, 2010 Author Share Posted May 7, 2010 Georgia has named the third chick Sandra Number one is now named after her best friend, Bessie. I'm insisting number two keeps the name Squashy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 She can't grow up as squashy she'll never get over it. Congratulations Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 8, 2010 Author Share Posted May 8, 2010 Before I left this morning for work I picked up one of the eggs and felt someone inside it move! Just got home and went out there to see if it's hatched but it still hasn't pipped. I've candled it and can see it breathing. Lord knows what it's up to, Bridget is still sat on it so we'll wait and see. If it does hatch tomorrow it'll be 4 days after Bessie hatched Bridget is still sat tight on it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 It's pipped internally because I can hear is cheeping this morning Come on little chicky! You can do it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 It's pipped internally because I can hear is cheeping this morning Come on little chicky! You can do it! Any news? Good luck! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 It hatched tonight! The chick that hatched on Thursday is about four times the size of it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Ooh ooh! Do we get to see photos? Pretty please? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 That's great news, I've been pacing up & down all day. Your topic is very helpful for understanding the realities of hatching, I'm enjoying reading it, congratulations! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 I'll go see if Bridget will allow........ Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Introducing Bridget Brahmas babies of varying ages All French Wheaten Marans Bridget said some very rude words but I explained you all wanted to see her new family: Tonights latecomer: Next to a sibling: In danger of being squashed by them! Sandra: Squashy: Big Bessie: Number four is safely tucked away while the others wonder if it'll ever be time to go out to play in the run: Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tutti Frutti Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Oh wow! I love them all! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Look at Bridget what a lovely mum Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Congrats! Very cute Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 How lovely. Congratulations. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...