MadAboutChooks

The final Introduction! or Not?

Hi there, I have been trying to introduce my chooks for about 2 weeks now. They have shared the same divided WIR and been FR together for that time. Apart from chasing and pecking there have been no major problems. Each day after their FR time I have taken their divider out in the WIR to see how long they can tolerate each other. Today the 3 new ones although perched out of reach!! have been in the WIR for about 2 hours. The trouble is I now dont know whether it is time to bite the bullet and leave them together or not. The moment they get on ground level they get chased and pecked but they are tolerating them in with them but out of reach. I have put water and food within reach of them. Do you think it is time to go for it :?

Mine are all in together now after 10 days - 2 days next to each other with old girls fring around, then 7 fring together and 2 nights just in sleeping in cube - there is the occasional peck but no injuries or feather pulling. Portia the smallest sometimes takes herself off to the cube as I suspect she is bottom :( Good luck :D

When I got my new girls, the lady I got them from told me to introduce them into the Eglu at night with the old girls and just leave them. I let them all out together the following morning and there was a bit of squabbling and squawking but they were all absolutely fine. I put out extra food and water stations so there was plenty for everyone and after a couple of days they were behaving as if they had always been together (although I did keep an eye on them just in case). I had been quite worried about what would happen but I would be confident now about introducing new girls in exactly the same way. I know not everyone agrees with just "chucking them all in together" but they have to do it eventually and providing the new chooks are mature enough to hold their own I can't see a problem. The lady I got my newbies from had a fantastic poultry farm and really knew her stuff so I felt happy that I was doing the right thing. Good luck!

I've been free ranging mine for a couple of weeks now but still wouldnt trust them together in the run. They are sharing food now but there's still a bit of chasing and pecking happening which I dont like the look of if they were shut in the run.

They do manage to sneak in to the cube though to sleep.

Personally, I would rather take things really slow than shut them in together too soon and have to take a step backwards.

Good luck though - stressful isnt it :roll:

Thank you for all your replies. Yes it is soooo stressfull, they are still all in together, and Margo the Orp is now on the ground hiding under the cube (but at least she has come down off the perch!) the columbines which are younger are now settled on the cube. I think tonight I will leave the (green eglu) and the (cube purple) there and I guess they will probably sleep in what they know. If all goes well tomorrow I will remove the (green eglu) and leave them all to sleep in the (cube purple) tomorrow night.

I am glad that all your Intro's went well scarlottohara! Its good to know that others are going through the same thing as you. How are you getting on with getting them back into the WIR? you were having to catch them in a net last I heard! Mine are improving regarding returning to the WIR. Fingers crossed our Intro's continue in harmony!

Glad your intros are going well! It's Day 14 for our new littlies (they're POL but our others are laying, at 1 and 2 years old). Our main issue is that two of the new girls (Columbine and White Star) are jumpy breeds and acting true to form! Things are improving a little each day - they eat from my hand now and recognise the rattle of the mealworm tub!

But, when the big girls are bimbling in the run, these two dash around squawking and set the big girls off! But at least there's not shouting or jealousy. We've had a few feathers lost but, fortunately, Gabby still has her hairdo :D So I think we'll carry on with the mini intros - this evening's went well... for a while! We know there'll be some pecking to establish the order but we'll leave the run divided a little longer and wait until the newbies are less skittish :)

PS Actually, the jealousy kicks in when the treats are out!

Mine were worse when I gave them all treats together and they seemed to think that the newbies had much better food and water than theirs in the little run inside the WIR and were always completely desperate to get in there.

They are all mixed in together now (four weeks on) and appear to get on for the most part. They do seem to like to pic on my (white chicken) I think its because she likes to get into the middle of everything whereas the (Bluebelle) tries to stay out of the way. A lot of the time they just ignore each other though.

It has been stressful and I wouldn't look forward to doing it again but they are addictive so no doubt will go down that route again at some point. :roll:

I was quite lucky introducing 3 new POL marans to my Gingernut after Pepper died. Took about a week but 3 weeks on Ginger still tries to hog the nesting box and goes to bed early and blocks the Eglu door. Eventually she apparently goes to sleep and the new ones push in. However if I am in the run or by the wire Ginger gives the new ones a neck peck. Can Chooks get jealous I wonder.

It took 9 months for me to introduce 2 new ones into a trio of cockerel and his two ladies - so be prepared to be patient. We had several " final" integration attempts earlier which almost resulted in tragedy for one of the newbies (who is still bottom of the pecking order). A cockerel is supposed to help integration but in my case, his first wives defended him against all intruders! Slowly, slowly is best even if you don't take as long as me.

Tricia