Hi everyone, i've been trying to find out if i can sell my eggs cos we can't keep up with the amount the girls lay, friends, neighbours and relatives are becoming egg bound :oops: !!! my husband has a delicatessen and we thought it would be great to sell free range eggs in it, i've been to the NFU but they are a bit stuck for an answer,any ideas? :roll: Ta Fiona :D

Hi Fiona

Now I have 7 girls, I have been selling my girls eggs to colleagues at work and friends mainly just to keep my girls in food, hemcore and associated costs. From what I've read I don't think there is a problem with this scale of sale (I'm selling about 18 eggs a week) and doesn't seem to break any regulations. However, I think that if you are selling in a shop some regulations may kick in since it may fall into commercial production - not sure and maybe wrong. I'll check my books and let you know. Off the top of my head I think there is some regulation about marking eggs but as I say don't have the detail at the moment. Maybe the Defra site may have some information.???

I'll see what I can find out.

E

Hi Fiona, I know that this has been discussed in the past, although right now I can't find the relevant threads :oops: Obviously not looking hard enough, sorry :roll: I'll have another trawl later.......... unless some other kind person who has the legislation close to hand comes on in the meantime. Lesley :?

But, as I understand it it's OK for us to sell the eggs to friends, neighbours or even at the front door, although we can't advertise them as free range, most people opt for a phrase like "eggs laid by happy hens" etc.

But in order to sell in commercial premises you need to be registered (not sure who with.......... DEFRA?????????) and to fulfill all manner of health and safety, hygiene requirements and so on that it's generally not worth it for small egg producers like us.

At least I'm fairly certain that it's something like that, but as I say I'm sure someone else will be along later to explain better, and no doubt with more conviction.

Why not just put a sign outside the front door, attract a little passing trade?

Hi everyone, i've been trying to find out if i can sell my eggs cos we can't keep up with the amount the girls lay, friends, neighbours and relatives are becoming egg bound :oops: !!! my husband has a delicatessen and we thought it would be great to sell free range eggs in it, i've been to the NFU but they are a bit stuck for an answer,any ideas? :roll: Ta Fiona :D

:lol: hee hee...this made me chuckle!

I sell from my door, but I know that selling them to a shop who will then sell them on is a different ball game all together.

The little village shop up the road told me you have to be liscenced in some way to sell eggs to a retailer, as they used to sell another chicken keepers eggs fat the shop.

I am sure DEFRA will know :P

...........haven't had any yet :lol:

I mostly get local villagers & walkers - & they all have been really nice & just happy to be buying lovely fresh eggs from well cared for hens :D

I also do a few drop-offs to peolpe who can't get out & about so easily.

In my thinking if they are dodgy, they won't want my eggs anyway 8)

I have a notice up in the window although in a cul-de-sac i don't exactly get much passing trade. I have sold a few boxes to people who knock trying to sell me something!

Mostly, my husband sells the eggs through his office to colleagues. I usually have a waiting list and had to get eglu number two to cope with demand! Lots of repeat customers too :D

Just be a teeny bit careful about asking Defra about selling eggs in your shop as this will alert them to the fact that you are "commercial" and you will have to register your flock with them. Not that there is anything wrong with registering, but once it's done, it can't be un-done.

I don't know an awful lot about it, just that the general consensus on other forums is that if you don't have to, don't do it?!?!

If anyone on here is registered (probably Lesley??), maybe they can advise you (and the rest of us!)?

Your son will love it! We have only just got our ex-battery girls but when they are settled in we are going to let our daughter (who will be 6 soon) set up shop on the drive on Saturday mornings. Mike has already started to design a flyer to put through our neighbours' letter boxes (he wants her to learn about 'business' so no doubt he will make her produce a profit and loss account too...).

We are going to promote the work of the BHWT and give a 5p donation from the sale of each egg to the BHWT.

As far as I'm aware (I find the DEFRA site very confusing :roll: ) you can sell direct to a consumer and you can't label them as Free Range or Organic unless you are correctly certified to do so.

Selling through the shop would cause too many problems so I think the other ideas are the best - sounds like a great idea 8)

I sell to some of the Mums at Lauren and Jake's school and Carl takes them to work with him.

I think you're right, i'm going to forget the shop idea, although saying that i had taken some for the chef to take home for his family, his little girl is fascinated by the whole idea, and i had put them on the counter whilst i was talking to a customer and then a lady asked to buy them..... :o i was a bit stuck for words but managed to explain the situation and she bought them anyway....my son is now armed with flyers to take round the neighbours....i'll stick with that i think....thanks for your comments, designing my garden now to accomodate, my girls and my dog cos he's a true retriever and i'm not totally confident he wouldn't try and retrieve!!! Thanks again.

Fiona :D