emmat Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Morning all. Our 3 and a half year old Ginger Nut was found dead in the run this morning. No sign of illness or injury of late - she was running around like usual yesterday. Poor soul. Do you think it was old age? She had her henopause about six months ago. What would you recommend we do with her now? I don't want to bury her if it'll encourage foxy loxy into the garden. Could we have her cremated at the vets? Any advice? Thanks xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Sorry to hear that Emmat A vet will be able to cremate her for you. Just pop her in a box and take her along. There is usually a small charge. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emmat Posted May 9, 2010 Author Share Posted May 9, 2010 Thank you I'll give them a call in the morning. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cathybc Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 sorry to hear abour Hilda, glad she had a nice last day. My vet charged £15 for a chicken cremation - that was the cost of a rabbit, a cat was £35 so we decided poor Hedwig was more rabbit sized Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Sorry to hear it I took Eider to vet but wasn't charged. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickiepiggies Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 sorry to hear that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 9, 2010 Share Posted May 9, 2010 Its not everyones cup of tea but its ok just to double bag the body and put it in the dustbin Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
emmat Posted May 10, 2010 Author Share Posted May 10, 2010 Lol Tasha I couldn't do it! I'll call them this morning. Peggy is looking off colour now. Might startva new thread on the clinic... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Sorry to hear about Hilda Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 10, 2010 Share Posted May 10, 2010 Our poor chicken Chestnut (RIP) started showing signs of old age at just 2. She was clearly in pain and not enjoying life so was killed to put her out of her misery. The rest of my family ate her (I am vegetarain) but we buried the head under her favourite bush. Most hybrids only live 2-4 years so it was probably old age. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Its not everyones cup of tea but its ok just to double bag the body and put it in the dustbin Lol Tasha I couldn't do it! Sorry if this is a bit morbid.... Taking the body to the vets is fine too, and originally I was going to do that. I realised though that, unless you go for a proper (rather expensive) pet cremation, the body will just get incinerated with the rest of the veterinary waste, so there wasn't really much difference between that and the bin. I couldn't bring myself to just pop the body in the bin (even double bagged), so I ended up with a bit ot a ritual which helps me say goodbye and to show my girl that I cared. I wrap the body in one of my good handtowels, then put it in a cardboard box "coffin". We say our goodbyes to the girl, then I double bag the coffin... and put it in the dustbin. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cluckingmad Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 Sorry to hear about Hilda - We buried our first two girls to go in the garden (Millie under her favourite snooze spot by a (now very) large bamboo, Maggie by the garden gate where she liked to watch me gardening (with a beautiful evergreen clematis growing on her grave), so now I feel like my baby girl is still watching me when I'm working out there Martha was our last to go and I wasn't allowed to bury her (as we're running out of garden to dig up!) so she was taken to the vets. I do, however, fully intend to plant something in her memory though... x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 When my little Tulip was killed by a neighbour's dog we rushed out and bought a russet apple tree to plant over her very deep grave & slate lined grave in the front garden....it's in blossom now , Buffie has a small bed of lavender plants over her which the bees will enjoy later in the year, and I have yet to plant something to commemorate my darling Hazel's passing , she hasn't got a grave as a dear friend took her away with him to help her on her way, as it would have caused unnecessary upset to the neighbour's daughter who was hovering at the time We'll have a lovely garden if we carry on burying & planting RIP Hilda Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cluckingmad Posted May 11, 2010 Share Posted May 11, 2010 glad its not just me that likes to plant something to remember them by ! Lovely hubby just emailed to say he's got hold of a japanese cherry tree in memory of Martha, she died just after we came home from Japan where the cherries were in full bloom so it'll be a very fitting memorial to her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...