GEB

Lone Chicken

Is it too cruel to keep one on her own?

We had been planning to increase our flock this year, but due to uncertainty at work with reduncancies we decided to put these plans on hold for a while. Both mine and my fiances jobs are uncertain at the moment and if either one of us finds ourselves out of work we will most likely have to move house. We thought it better not to complicate things by having a larger flock of chooks to think about.

However we didn't anticipate that our flock of three would become one so soon. Two of our chooks have died suddenly in the past month and so we find ourselves with just one.

I would rather wait till we know our financial situation etc before getting any more (infact we've talked about maybe being chook free for a year before starting again), but I would not do this if it really is too unfair on our remaining chook. I don't want her to be miserable, but it just feels like the wrong time to be getting more! Could she be ok on her own?

So far (although it's only been a few days) she seems ok. She is eating, laying and behaving normally. Would it be ok to just see how she goes?

Honest opinions please.

Am sorry to read about your work situation we have been through that a couple of years ago but he lost his job and it was a nightmare we had our 2nd child on the way too.Me personlly would have minimun of 2 hens it would be better for her as she must get lonely.However l do understand hope things pick up soon for you both and your lone hen.Sorry l could not be more help.

Hi

My lone chiecken started to SERIOUSLY pine for her lost friend within a few days of her death.

She was really miserable - I was surprised how quickly this happened.

Introducing 1 new hen (presumably younger) to an established hen might be problematic (see other threads) - so realistically, I think you should get 2 more for company. Sorry, thats probably not what you want to hear. Or as suggested above, perhaps you could rehome her ? or are you too attached ?

H

Hello sorry to hear about your situation, it must be a big worry. I would definitely get at least one other chicken as they do need company. I think it will be a bit easier to introduce one more rather than two more, my friend ended up with one chicken and a week later got another one and they got on together straight away (though this could have just been down to luck!). If you can't afford to buy another hen there are always plenty of rescues going on each week, either through the BHWT or you may have a local hen rescue?

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. If you really don't want to get any more hens at the moment, which is understandable in the circumstances, I think it would be kinder to rehome your lone girl. She will not be happy on her own for long - as has already been said, chickens are flock creatures and need the company of others. If you decide to get her some company, 2 friends would be better than one.

Getting the new chooks isn't a problem money wise, i was more worried if we ended up having to sell the house. Looks like we'll get a couple more girls shortly as I really don't want my little girl being miserable.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I had a similiar conversation with myself when I went down to one chicken earlier this year and circumstances meant it is not a good time to get any more. Hermione has now been on her own since February and so far, is absolutely fine - I do make sure I give her attention and she does get to mix with the rabbits when I do the big weekly clean out. Obviously, I would look to rehome her if she seemed unhappy but just wanted to let you know that it can work.

I went down to one last month when Annie died.

I got Millicent a friend purely because Millicent decided I could take on that role. She started coming down to the back door to call for me. Knocking with her beak until I opened it. She followed me everywhere. If I sat in the garden she was there, beak in my tea even.

I decided it had to stop and we bought Marigold. Marigold unfortunately bought her friend Mycoplasma :( but they were both treated and she recovered really quickly and Millicent has shown no signs. I didn't quarantine them as I had nowhere to do so and to be honest, I wanted a friend for Millie so there seemed little point. Also what would I have done, had Marigold PTS as there is no getting rid of Mycoplasma?

Millicent bullied her to start with, a lot of that's mine, that's mine, that's mine, oh and that's mine too :lol: Very like toddlers, but Marigold learnt to stand like a statue and avert her eyes and it soon stopped. She still gets the odd peck, mainly if she forgets her status and definitely if she talks to much, think that gets right on Millie chicken's pip :wink:

Two chickens take up very little extra room than one chicken and if you already have everything I would get one more.