jen

building a run

Hi there Jen, i made my run using weldmesh. I found a supplier through google - just tapped in weldmesh and quite a few popped up. :D

When constructing the run we took the width of the weldmesh and placed the treated posts just slightly less than the width so we could tack the mesh on vertically top to bottom.

We also left some extra weldmesh at the bottom to act as a skirt which we laid slabs on top of.

Hope this helps and happy building! :D

We bought rolls as they worked out better than sheets both financially and for ease of use too.

With the sheets your posts and measurements have to be very accurate but we found the rolls gave us a little flexibility :D

We measured from the top of the posts to the bottom then added 50cm for the skirt and just cut the rolls to length. Tacked them in at the top of each post and then just worked our way down. It is a two person job and a good pair of wire clippers are needed! :wink::lol:

Now we've started I've realised how complicated it is! We are now tring to decide how to attach the roof as it gets very windy up here. I think we are going to use rolls of wire as it seems easier and cheaper. I had a look at the pictures and they were a help...thanks.

Starting to wonder if it is a good idea!

Don't be put off Jen, we figured out how to do it as we went along. For the roof we used that corrugated perspex sheeting from B&Q which you attach with special nail on fixings. We just bought loads of fixings to make the roof as secure as possible.

My OH usually plans everything to the nth degree so i was shocked that he just started building the run. It looks great though, i'll try and get some piccies on tonight.

Jen building your own run is a great idea but i know how you feel right now - thinking it is too complicated and wondering if it will ever match up to the vision you have in your head - been there done that! :lol::lol:

Trust me on this - it will be worth it in the end.

Like Helly Welly we used the perspex sheets and they work really well - just get more fixings that you need and secure it to the hilt! :D

Cant wait for the pics Helly Welly! 8)

Thanks for the encouragement! Pictures of your run would be great to see. Need inspiration.

I'm also a bit concerned about putting my hens on the same bit of soil for a long time. I was planning to put a layer of hemcore down. I have noticed a few people have concrete or slabs underneath. Does this stop them having a scratch?

There you go Jen, as promised pictures of the new run are now in my album, click the link in my signature.

Any questions and i'll be only too happy to answer them. The run may not be the Hilton but the girls are loving it so far and i've re-seeded the garden in preparation for a long hot Summer :pray:

Jen i put a thick layer of hemcore down on the soil in my hen hotel and change it every few months. If you think the ground is getting tired you can add lime to it - i havent done this only having my chickens a short time but i think you have to use a special kind of lime.

Helly Welly your run is great!!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the replies and the pics! A great run there! We didn't manage to get started this weekend as it took longer than expected to remove conifers. Fingers crossed we will this weekend, the wood is in the garden ready to go. I have just seen the new eglu too and I think I may have room for it! :lol: I have a birthday coming up too, so some major hinting may have to be done!