Rachel

Peritonitis?

Hi

Don't know if this is any help to people, but I lost my last chicken, Ginger, at the weekend, she was 3 and a bit. Nancy died last summer about 2.5.

I spent ages in the early days looking for a good vet who knew something about chickens to help me when my girls seemed to be looking a bit off colour - not easy in the middle of Birmingham!!

Anyway eventually got lucky and found a fantastic chap who used to keep and show his own, he told me that the chickens provided with eglus are hybrids and are only supposed to live for a year, lay loads of eggs in a battery cage and then get slaughtered. Consequently they are prone to a lot of problems pure breeds are not. Mine both suffered the same fate - an egg got stuck and prevented any further eggs being laid. These backed up eggs eventually caused an infection ?peritonitis? which spread to their digestive system and stopped them absorbing any nutrients from their food. It just goes to show how amazing and hardy chickens are as they survived for a long time living off their fat and showing no outward signs of being ill until over a couple of days they went down hill fast, not eating, standing in one position with their eyes closed or not even venturing out of the eglu at all. I felt awful like I’d let them down but there was nothing that could be done in the end and I was lucky to have them for as long as I did.

I will definitely be getting some more chickens in time as it has been a fantastic 3 years having them and I have some wonderful memories and millions of photos, but will go for pure breeds next time, fewer eggs maybe but a longer life.

Happy hen keeping

Rachel

(yellow eglu)

Thanks for letting us know what your vet has to say Rachel - and congratulations on finding such a helpful vet.

I'm not sure that all hybrids are destined to lead short lives. The hybrids used in the broiler industry do have very short lives because they are fed to bulk up so quickly if they are for meat. We have had two batches of these chicks and we grew ours for 9 months before despatch. Even though we grew them slowly, they do get very big and their hearts can't cope.

The egg layers though will live a good few years - albeit not as long as pure breeds. I'm not so sure it is a clear case of pure breeds versus hybrids when it comes to health problems - from reading Practical Poultry forum, there seem to be as many problems amongst the pure breeds as the hybrids. Also, hens rescued from commercial laying units - battery hens - seem to live fairly long and very happy lives once rescued.

These are only my own observations and I'm happy to be corrected :D

I now have both pure breeds and hybrids - and have had problems with both.

Do come and let us know how you get on with your pure breeds - and we love to see photos :D

Edited by Guest

We've had problems with Clarry since she was a year old. She had been laying soft shelled eggs regularly then became very ill in the June of 2005. The vet hadn't got a clue what was wrong with her and gave her antibiotics. She's not laid an egg in the 2 years since. She fills up with fluid so that her abdomen feels like a balloon every few months. Apart from walking like a duck and having the odd off day, this doesn't seem to affect her and she's as full of life as she ever was but I read about a condition called Sterile Peritonitis where the abdomen fills with non-infected fluid so I suspect this could be her problem. I don't know what will happen to her. It disappears from time to time and she's just a skinny old bird underneath and I wonder whether the fluid will continue to appear and will eventually put such a strain on her internal organs that she'll die. We take each day as it comes with her and will take her to the vet the moment we think she's suffering. We love her to bits as she's so full of character but we wouldn't want her to be sick and miserable. At the moment, although she's got a big fluid filled belly, she can still run for treats and seems as full of beans as ever, bless her.

we have 2 rescue chickens that were destined for meat, but were runts so wouldnt have made the slaughterhouse, so hubby rescued them.

We were told they would never lay (by my dad who has been in the poultry industry for 40 years)....much to his annoyance my lovely girls have laid beautiful big eggs daily for ages now...there isnt a week goes by when we dont get double yolkers either !! :lol::lol:

touch wood *knock knock* we have had no health problems as of yet.

Both girls were breed as "free range" chickens and we have let them free range in the garden ever since as we want them to stay active because as Lesley says they do tend to get very big and "go off their feet" if they are confined.

I just happened to be browsing and read your comments on Sterile Peritonitis Kate .... I'm wondering if my Marigold has the same as Clarry ... we've had problems with her all along .. soft eggs and bouts of illness, the latest couple of episodes resulting in loss of appetite (absolutely refuses to eat layers mash!), and a balloon-like feel to her under-carriage. She hasn't produced an egg since last Sept. We're treating with baytrill at the moment, but, like you, taking things one day at a time. She's so brave.

I have lost 3 hybrids under the age of 2 so far, so was beginning to wonder if I'm doing something wrong (even became completely paranoid at one point and thought my garden must be contaminated with some toxic substance!?!!).

At least reading your comments, I now feel that maybe I've just been unlucky? Anyway, I wouldn't be without my girls for all the world now, and would eventually like to gain enough knowledge/confidence to take on some ex-batts!!

Hi Buffie, yes Marigold has had the runs, but I put that down to the antibiotics ... although, even before starting the baytril, she was eating so little that there were very few droppings. Mostly greenish/yellowish in colour. It's really odd, because she will follow the other girls around the garden doing 'chickeny' things, even dustbathing today, but she walks more slowly (john wayne-style!) and retires to bed early. The only things she has eaten in the last few days are rice, brown bread and worms etc while free-ranging. It's all a bit of a mystery!

Hi Lindsay

Harrie is very pooey and I am not sure if she is losing her appetite a little more. It's hard to say as she will gobble tuna and rice. I am going to give some more remedies etc today and assess tomorrow and then the vets. I am not sure there is anything that can be done but it may be kinder for us to consider letting her go. Breaks your heart. :(

Keep us posted

BBx

I have Hybrids & pure breeds (Bantams), & have lost 1 Hybrid (sour crop) & 3 Pure breeds (all deaths unexplained,but not linked).

Of the 3 Pure Breeds I lost,all were young & my vet said that their immune system is just not as strong as the Hybrids.

We were told that our Hybrids should live for about 3 years,& as several people on here have Omlet girls of over a year old I would say that the chap you spoke to Rachel is either mistaken or exaggerating :?:?:?

2 of mine are Omlets & the other 3 are Medowsweet Hybrids, which are the same thing with a different name.

When my girls go to the big Eglu in the sky I will 100% get Hybrids again :D

I think 3 years is perfect, & to be honest a small price to pay for the year round eggs, lack of broodyness & the tendancy to moult less 8)

There's pluses for them all, the constant egg laying is hard on a hens system. I would have a mix as I have now, love them all.

Harrie is still holding her own so I will let her carry on until she doesn't want to, she may improve ...fingers and toes crossed :D

BBx

Hi everyone,,

Buffie, I'm glad Harrie is fairly stable ... I do hope she will be ok. I thought I'd give you a quick update on Marigold. She has improved a bit over the last few days and has been eating more. She actually runs up to the food along with the others now, instead of just looking at it and walking away. I haven't seen her drink much (though she may be taking a sneaky sip when I'm not looking!), but her comb is not as floppy or pale as before. Her energy levels have also improved and I even saw her dustbathing yesterday! As far as droppings go, they look more normal, but I still see the odd yellowy, runny one.

I'm still taking things one day at a time with her, as I'm not convinced that once I stop the Baytril, she won't go down hill again? It's such a worry, but I'm just trying to let her go about her usual business and I think her quality of life is decent at the moment. She now seems to be almost enjoying her nightly cuddle to administer the baytril!

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the remedies, as I have never tried them on my animals, only occasionally on myself!!

It's really interesting to hear about other people's experiences with hybrids vs pure breeds, and all in all it seems the hybrids are a tough little bunch, considering their egg-laying routine! I will definitely keep going with them in the future.

Help I have a two year old chicken which is currently being treated for peritonitis. She is on her second course of antibiotic injections which seem to be helping.

Has anyone had any experience or knowledge etc about chickens having an hysterectomy. I have read on the internet that this is a possible treatment but would like to know the risks involved.

Does anyone know of any other long term treatments available.

I talked to a"bird vet" about having a hysterectomy for my gorgeous Gerty but she became far to ill and weak to have survived an operation. The vet did however explain a bit about the condition and operation to me which I'll try to explain as best as I can:

Egg peritonitis is caused by an ovum (yolk) being released from the ovary but not entering the fallopian tube and instead staying in the body cavity. Or by the egg going back up the falopiaqn tube into the body cavity. The hen's body reacts to this and produces a lot of fluid in the body cavity (ascites). The body eventually seals off this foreign material (the yolk or egg material) in an abscess and the hen recovers, until the next time it happens. This peritonitis can easily become infected from bacteria in the gut and unless treated with antibiotics the hen will die.

When the vet performs a hysterectomy not only must the reproductive organs be removed but all of the abscesses which have been previously formed must be found and removed too. This operation is very tricky and as you can imagine requires a vet skilled with birds. The hen has to be in a strong condition (no peritonitis at the time) to stand any chance of survival.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone considering this route for their sick hen.

Havent logged on for a while till today as veronica our pepperpot has been off colour for a while been to the vets , poos been investigated negative ,temprature was up and she went on a course of antibiotics for two weeks, and she was laying shellless eggs now no eggs at all.She has always been smaller then her mate gladys the gingernut ranger but she seemed to be getting smaller.She has been eating well and doing all the usual chickeny things but now seems to have slowed right down,back to the vets blood test results show prob peritonitis so going back on antibiotics and steroids in hope to help her feel better so after reading previous posts sounds the same very good vet in lye stourbridge blacks, lady vet miss wilkens she has chicks of her own so knew all about them and very nice.

yes thanks for replies veronica is still here dosing her daily with baytril and metacam she does not like me any more!!!! as i have to catch her and syringe it down her throat!!! plus both of them are going through a heavy moult poor veronica lost her whole tail over the weekend and the top of her wing feathers so she looks worse then ever!!!! no amount of her favourite tit bits is making up for me having to man handle her :cry:

Sorry to hear Veronica isn't well. They can pull through Nikki! :D

Babs has had egg peritonitis 3 times this year. The last time she stayed at the vets for a week. She is back to her old self again now. She will forgive you for the syringing, i'm sure.

Hope she is better soon.

C x

veronica is now much better back to her usual inquisitive self eating fine and her feathers have grown back still no eggs but may be in the spring when the weather and day light hours get better gladys is also fully feathered now its only taken over 12 months for her red bottom to disappear and her beautiful fluffy looking knickers to come back, thank you for asking .