norledge

Council Complaint...

Hi all! First time poster, long time reader!

I've got 3 bluebelles and an ex batt in a 10 foot by 6 foot area in my back garden.

We get on well with our neighbours, we supply them with eggs and they are happy for the chiicks to be there...

Get home today to see a letter from the council, someone has made a complaint about noise... as you all know chicks are quiet unless startled, which is maybe once a month!?

What i want to know is, apparently the complainer has to keep a diary of the noise for a month and then the council will take 'suitable action'... what is 'suitable action' are they able to take the chickens off me? :(

Have a look at Migsy's post about Environmental Health. There is a process that the Council has to take if someone complains, but my observation from reading posts on here is that EH is very sensible and the issue is usually resolved as it's difficult to substantiate excessive noise from " clucking" etc! But someone should come along with more help. Don't give up

Tricia

I would doubt very much that the Council will do anything, more a case of them having to follow up a complaint. If you had a cockerel then you could understand neighbours complaining, but hens generally aren't loud enough to bother anyone. We have 4 ex batts and generally they are very quiet, but some days head hen Bella can be quite loud. I can be sitting in my TV room which has another room behind it, then a conservatory, then the hens about 60ft further down the garden and still hear Bella when she wants to be heard. However the noise she makes is nothing compared to the noise of dogs, kids playing, people playing music in their gardens and all the usual noisy stuff you get this time of year.

Agree with the above - it will be a standard letter that they send out if it's a complaint about loud music, loud vehicles or loud chickens! Unlikely that your chooks will break any decibel levels. It's a good idea (I'm sure you do anyway!) to make sure everything is clean and tidy just in case EH call round and want to make sure there's no environmental health issues.

I think some people are just as anti social as they claim you are being, by complaining about a few hens!.. I would ask around and I bet noone owns up to it, but at least they will know you are thoughtful and concerned.

My take on this is that people had better get used to the sound as more and more homes are in ownership of chickens these days and soon it will be as acceptable as all the other sounds in suburbia, which are far worse!.. :x

the council would use sound monitoring equipment before action was taken someone would visit the persons house who complained and monitor sound levels and how often they are and how long they last. that's the process our council goes through. this is done in there house with windows shut! i can barley hear my hens with my windows close in the morning and i've only got a little garden.

a letter from your immediate neighbours is a good idea maybe also go further down the street both ways and do any houses at the back of you, you never know you may come across the person who complained.

Some people really haven't got anything better to do with there time. hope all works out for you.

Have you called the EH and spoken to anyone? Maybe they will be able to explain what has happened and what the next step will be. I know when I had ordered my hens I rang the Council and explained that I was getting some hens and they were fine - I was probably being over cautious but I felt much more reassured having spoken to them. Good luck, that said I am sure you will be fine :)

I feel so sorry for you :( Hopefully it wont come to anything. These people are so irritating, its as if they have never made a loud noise in their life. I dont understand how people can complain about the sound of some chickens when there are the sound of cars, music and maybe aeroplanes nearby.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the noise doesn't have to be loud, just persistant and causing a nuisance to those who hear it. Some noises, like bass, can't be measured in terms of volume, but still cause a nuisance.

I'm sure the EHO has to send a letter to the person supposedly causing the noise without first checking if they are. Then the onus switches to the complainee to keep a noise diary and further along the line recording equipment is used to pick up the alleged noises if the diary deems it necessary. I would contact the EHO and invite them to have a look at your set up, and if you are really worried about it, keep a diary of you chickens noises yourself.

I had a complaint letter about my cockerels last year, which came to nothing as they were for the pot anyway. It did freak me out when I got the letter but I did a bit of research and kept them for a further 8 weeks until they were killed. Funny thing was I know who complained and they are the noisiest people in the street :evil: