Dilli

Gingernut wanted!

Got my eglu and chooks last week. Am delighted they are such fun. But Oh so sad today. This was their first full day out and about and nasty next door's dog got my beatiful Amy. :cry: And I haven't even got a photo to remember her by.

Anyone got a spare Gingernut Ranger wanting a good home in Wiltshire? :?:

So sorry Dilli!

Whereabouts are you in Wiltshire? I am on the borders Hants/Wilts. There is a lovely lady down the road from me that sells hens, If you are not too far from me (SP11) then let me know and i'll sort out the details for you. I am at work tomorrow til about 2pm (Air traffic control permitting)!

All the best

C x

I am so sorry to hear your news Dilli - I do hope your neighbour has promised to keep her dog under cotrol around your hens in future :?

Try the Medowsweet site, I know there are a few agents in Wilts & their Rhode Star is the same breed of hen as a Gingernut Ranger :D

Best of luck with it :D

How Awful. What is your neighbour thinking off allowing her dog to roam like that. I hope s/he is going to pay for the new chicken at the very least. What a dreadful thing to happen.

I agree, I wonder if there are rules about dogs attacking livestock/pets that have been broken?

What a bad start, hope it's all smooth sailing from now on.

Oh Dilli! Poor you! What a rotten start to your life as a chicken keeper! You must be devastated! :cry:

There is a Meadowsweet agent near Malmsbury that I have used, if you are set on getting another "Gingernut ranger": As Cinnamon says, they are really called Rhode stars. You might just go there an want soemthing different though! :D Just try to get one about the same age, so that they get along really quickly.

Good luck!

Merlin Cottage

(Meadowsweet Agent).

plus bantams, ducks and geese and wooden poultry houses:

Cloatley Road

Hankerton

Malmsbury

Wiltshire

SN16 9LQ

Telephone 01666 577613

I am so sorry to hear your news Dilli - I do hope your neighbour has promised to keep her dog under cotrol around your hens in future :?

Do we know whos garden it happened in?

Not that it makes it any less sad. I hope you find a nice new friend soon

I was sure Meadosweet Ranger=Gingernut Ranger :?

You could be right :?

When we picked Pansy who is a Rhode Star she was in a big pen with MS Rangers in the pen next door, & they all looked identical (apart from Pansy who my Husband insists smiled at him,which is why we picked her!)

Thanks for all your kind messages. I'll certainly check out the Meadowsweet site and their Rhode Stars.

With regards the dog, the owner could not have been more apologetic and was brilliant at getting the Amy from the dogs mouth. They met on the communal path linking the houses in my corner of the village. And yes, she has already volunteered to pay for a replacement. Amy didn't appear to be injured at all. We think it was the shock that got her. The chookd and the dogs/cats in our little corner had all met before and all the neighbours love having them wander in and out of their gardens.

I'm now investing in netting to keep them confined to my garden! Poor Lulu is missing her companion and fretting. I'm sure she'll be OK as soon as I get her another friend.

Dilli