phenna_family

Soggy Chickens!

Wow it's chucking it down here and has been all day.

We have had our chucks for 3 weeks now but this is the first rain we have had. Is it alright to let them run around in the rain looking like drowned rats?

Do you have to give them a bit of a rub down after they have finished playing or will they dry out naturally?

Thanks

Reg

Yes it is fine - mine just love the rain - and rarely go in when it is raining - unless it is freezing rain and goes on forever in the winter.

It brings all the worms to the surface - disturbs all the insects to a feeding, scatching frenzy for them

They don't need a rub - they just shake their feathers out - and before you know it they are clean and dry and gleaming.

Lucky you with rain

Does the rain aggravate any sniffles they might have? Ours are perky, but were sneezing a bit since they arrived a week ago. We put it down to the stress of travelling, and they've been perky and sneezing less after cuddles and Citricidal.. but I'm a bit concerned that the rain might make them sniffly again. Thoughts?

We're not really at the stage of familiarity where we can bring them in for a session with the hairdryer! (I got a funny look when I approached with a towel earlier.)

So do mine.

It rained quite heavily just after we got our ex-batts and they did not care at all - everything about the real world was so strange to them anyway. Cilla just stood there for hours and ended up looking like a very small bedraggled fluffy toy that had been left out in the rain. No ill effects.

We've had ours for three weeks and they don't seem to mind the rain at all. They were out all yesterday just wandering around with a "couldn't care less attitude" about them. Happily picking at grass and getting on with it. I checked all was dry in the Eglu for when they went to bed and they seem as happy as larry.

our girls HATE the rain.

If they get wet, we open the garage door and they stand in front the tumble dryer vent drying off their soggy knickers :lol:

That's such a lovely picture Chelsea :lol:

Mine like getting wet too, and the oil on their feathers means that they dry off pretty quickly, but they will insist on mud-bathing and get absolutely filthy!