Got the garlic powder yesterday - it stunk my car out all the way home. I put it in their food this morning (mine is a brown blended type apparently - the garlic that is) and my stomach somersaulted :vom: . Now I am not opposed to garlic at all, we cook with it all the time, but I think I am going to struggle with this stuff :( . Is there anything else I can use instead? Could I use fresh garlic ????

Sorry this is another daft question :oops:

Claire x

I used to use a clove of garlic in their drinking water, but Belle took a liking to it, and would run out the Eglu in the morning and gobble it up, before anyone else had even stretched their wings.

The garlic powder does have quite a strong odour, but you soon get used to it, I promise!

A warning though.......if you spill some on the floor, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you hoover it up - use a dustpan and brush - as every time you turn the hoover on fior the rest of it's working life, you will fill your house with the unmistakable odour of garlic powder..... :vom::vom:

Edited by Guest

What does garlic actually do? I'm sure it's up somewhere - I've put up a search for it but there are so many references to go through.

Feel my two are missing out as they only get pellets, mash, s"Ooops, word censored!"s and grit. And tonic in their water after their moult to build them up.

Thanks - might try the clove of garlic in their drinking water.

I give our dog a garlic capsule every morning because someone recommended it whe she was a pup but I can't remember why. That must be for general health and immune system boost, too, I suppose.

What does garlic actually do?

I believe it's a natural worm-deterrent, wouldn't want to rely on it, but if they have it in their gut it's supposed to put worms off. But it really does stop the poo smelling, I don't understand why or how, but I don't really care :) I don't kow why it doesn't taint the eggs, either, but they taste absolutely fine!

PS never seen a vampire in the garden, either! :wink:

:lol: All I can think about now is chookiehen and her garlic hoover! :lol:
...Yep...sounded like the voice of experience speaking..... :lol:

Eeuuww! What a thought .....

Although it might actually be better than the smell of sweaty dog that normally comes from our hoover :roll:

I tried the clove of garlic in the drinking water - it floats, so they picked it out, threw it on the ground and trampled it :evil::roll:

:lol: All I can think about now is chookiehen and her garlic hoover! :lol:
...Yep...sounded like the voice of experience speaking..... :lol:

Oh believe me.....it is! The worst of it was, about two days after 'garlicgate', as that fateful day will forever be known as, our lovely next door neighbour popped over and said, "My hoover's on the blink, and the nurse is coming round to see to the wife - can I borrow your hoover please" :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Does it not taint the eggs...I've often wondered?

The only time we had a problem is when my daughter over garlicked the hens (she added about a cupfull to their grub :roll: ), & we had a couple of days of slightly garlicky eggs & a garden that smelled like Pizza Express :lol: