Luvachicken Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 When I had 3 chickens obviously the flubenvet got shared round more, but now I only have 2 chickens so how does it work when the same amount (6g) goes into 2kg of the food. 2 chickens must take longer to eat the food than 3 would have done so do they just get more worming powder in the end? Does it matter ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 They'll just eat the same. So top up as needed and throw away at end of 7 days the same. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 I'm glad you replied Plum because I didn't realise they only ate it for 7 days and throw the rest away. Thats probably because last time it all got eaten. Thank you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 So long as the pellets are dosed according to manufacturers instructions, the hens will get the correct dose according to their age and weight. Feed the dosed pellets for 7 days and then discard any leftovers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 Thank you xxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 sorry if daft question Why, how do you use flubenvet???? I use v-mex.Is that not so good??????? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 You mix in 6g of powder to 2kg pellets and feed over 7 days. But I also have another question...I read on another bit that chickens might moult round about now so is it a good idea to worm them now - basically can you worm them anytime? I must admit I feel a bit of a dummy today Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 so is it same as verm -x or not so good. My girls are used to verm-x so is it o.k to stay on that or should i change?????Is other stuff expensive or hard to find???? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Vermx is a preventative and makes the gut inhospitable to worms. Many use it and have no problems with it. Flubenvet is a chemical wormer that will eradicate hens from a hen's gut. Mine are all moulting and I am using flubenvet at the same time. They are eating lots due to moulting Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 I'm so glad they can be wormed if they are moulting as I just mixed up the stuff earlier ready for tomorrow. I bought my flubenvet from a big country store - sorry can't remember name or how much - in Waterlooville (Hampshire) but when my dog was poorly recently I did see that they had it for sale in the vets but I forgot to ask how much it was but thats where I'll get from next time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 You can get Flubenvet on any animal medical web site. Verm-X is a herbal remedy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 thanks everyone. i love this site Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Dizzy-Deb Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 Am doing my girls this week, and picked up the flubenvet mail order too. Have to say think the stuff is working too as sure sure evidence of dead worm in a poo yesterday . I didnt look that close but certain it was. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeeMeadfan Posted October 7, 2010 Share Posted October 7, 2010 HaHa! seems we're all worming at the moment. I saw a worm aboyt 5-6cm long in one of my girl's poos so quickly got on internet to order Flub. Despite reading about worms I didin't realise how long they could be - realy gross!! I was umming & aahhing over whether to do the 'grape method' or the 'proper method' as only got 3 chooks, but probably use 'proper' method. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennie wren Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I'm puzzled as well. i have 4 ex batts.I have mixed a 6g scoop with 2kg feed but not sure if this will be enough for the 7 days or to much. if not enough do i mix up some more for the remainder of the 7 days or will they have had enough?hens seem to be having a bit of a moult as well and have had the odd soft shelled egg during this time as well.new feathers growing nicely now and they have become really friendly since i collected them in august.all having a nap on the decking outside my backdoor at present. they are real characters and time wasters! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Make up some more, feed the medicated feed for 7 days then discard the leftovers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennie wren Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sherbet Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 I have just finished 7 days of worming, i posted 'how much flubnevet' for my 2 chooks, was told 2kg of food to one scoop of flubnevet, when i weighed it out, i thought ' oh my god they will never eat all that' but guess what...they did, with just a bit left on day 7! I also let them FR for about 1.5 hrs at night, as they make such a fuss when i get home to be let out, i just couldn't ignore them! Who says chickens have no brains Mine definately have brains! and i love um! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LeeMeadfan Posted October 8, 2010 Share Posted October 8, 2010 Started my girls on this today! aahh! We do love them don't we? Mine are lovely & I've made some lovely cakes from their lovely eggs today - Yum! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angie Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 I am on day 2 of worming. I followed the directions , a cup full of pellets ,mix, and add more pellets till all 2kg are well mixed. This morning when topping up the days rations i noticed that there is a lot of powder in the bottom of the mix in the bowl.....sssoooo i gave it all another really good mix, ( as i was assured that the powder is so fine it will bind to the pellets.) But this tea time there is still a lot of powder in the bottom of the bowl. Should i add some cod liver oil to make the powder stick better? I gave it a really good mix honest and it isn't pellet powder as it is grey. I just want to make sure my girls are getting a good dosage to do the job. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted October 10, 2010 Share Posted October 10, 2010 Adding a bit of cod liver oil won't do any harm and does help the powder adhere to the pellets. Mine are on their last day today. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...