Janty Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 Pity we don't all live closer to each other. If we did, we could swap all our useless gadgets for ones that we would like. I am about to order a new breadmaker yet others have said how much theirs is a waste of space. I envisage a sort of grown up Swap Shop. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 and yet, still, no-one wants rid of a waffle maker! *tut* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bluekarin Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 microplane grater but they keep breaking and bending and they are not cheap so this is a sort of love/hate thing I am with you on these. I had a co"Ooops, word censored!" grater which my mum bought me for christmas. The plastic edging started cracking and then broke and everytime I used, sorry, Tried to use it, it would bend in half. So in the bin it went. They are quite pricey so I was very disappointed I quite like the ones the tv chefs use now with the metal frame and they have a sort of built in stand, if you know what I mean. Like this linkydink Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majorbloodnock Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 I must admit I've little time for gadgets per se, so all my "must haves" are very basic. Heavy non-teflon cast iron saucepans (so happens they're Le Creuset). Heavy non-teflon cast iron frying pans (set of three). Kenwood Chef mixer and Gourmet food processor. Not even sure the latter is still made, but both take the same attachments, so I can swap around. That said, most of the attachments are irrelevant to me most of the time. Particulaly important, though, is the Chef's bread hook, since that plus an oven is almost as convenient as a bread maker yet gives far better results. Preserving pan Saucepans with steamer tops to them. I have two, and they're both lovely big saucepans, so allowing me to heat enough water to cook pasta properly, or to boil a joint of bacon, or make a big pot of soup, or, or, or.... Crock pots and Marmites. Fill 'em up, chuck 'em in oven and wait for wonderful casseroles. Who said cooking needs effort. Decent knives and a diamond sharpening steel. I hate using blunt knives. A wok, once again non-teflon Don't use list: Since I only cook chips less than a dozen times a year, I've no need whatever for a deep fat fryer. I do the chips in the wok, then can reuse the oil for other things. I won't use anything non-stick. If I'm heating something enough that it might stick, I'm heating it high enough to damage the teflon. All my cast iron frying pans are well seasoned, and I've never had anything stick to them, so for me teflon is a complete (and restrictive) waste of time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 Love Bread maker mini chopper stick blender food processor Slicing machine (great for the bread , if I cut a loaf with a knife we only get 4 slices per loaf) waste of space Mouli (got it to make purees for my DD but it was too much hassle to clean) smoothie maker pasta maker (in loft) George Forman (Not used in years) Pressure cooker (used as a large pan) Sage Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 Used a lot Vitamix Kenwood chef Stone ware square baking dish (Pampered chef) Rectangle pyrex dish Expensive cake tins Tefal jam maker decent corkscrew Not used much or at all. Panini press Sandwich toaster George foreman oven ( not grill) George foreman grill Popcorn maker Easiyo yogurt maker silicone baking trays or muffin trays Microwave omlette maker / egg poacher Marble mortar & pestle. ( why)? Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
C&T Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 Love: Bread Maker - although not used all the time as not good for waist line! Good non stick frying pans (sorry Major!!) Large Jam Pan Good Sharp knives & Sharpener Steamer Food processor / Liquidiser My Nan's old hand held electric whisk - who knows how many years old and still working! My Nan's old cake tins - again years old - great cakes every time! Waste of time: Sandwich Toaster Old set of cheap knives OH won't throw away Silicone bake ware (no matter what I do it sticks and I get a pile of crumbs) My naff cheap Rolling Pin. Rubbish. A new one is on the Christmas List! Undecided: My new Dehydrator - dried fruit great, but the strong smell of the dried fruit was bad for Morning Sickness... Will try again when not pregnant! 10 tonnes of tuberware - no idea where comes from, or why there is never a matching lid/box combo when I want one - but never gets thrown, and just lurks at the bottom of the cupboard, jumping out when least wanted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 Couldn't live without Food processor Electric hand whisk Lakeland yoghurt maker Coffee grinder (manual - I have a strong right bicep! ) Ancient victoria sandwich tins 'borrowed' from my Mum Like... but not used a lot Juicer 3 tier seed sprouter Panini press Waste of space Rubbish stainless steel victoria sandwich tins - result, leaden cake Onion chopper thingy with mandolin attachment both of which are totally blunt Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Couldn't cope without My Le Crueset casseroles and frying pans. Huge stainless steel preserving, stock pan Silicone spatulas, but I love my small wooden spoon for white sauce and custard making. Kenwood Chef Major for bread and pastry making, prefer a hand held mixer for cakes. 6 slice Dualit toaster, we have had it since last Christmas and at last we can toast bread for 5 Gaggia coffee machine Stick blender, so much easier than a liquidiser and so easy to clean. Toasty maker, lovely toasties for lunch or supper in the winter Large deep roasting tin, only problem is that the handles stick up and take up a lot of room in the oven, it looks lovely and cooks food really hot and fast though. Smaller must haves Victoinox speed peeler, I hate holiday cottages because they never have good knives or peelers. Victorinox paring knives, I also have a lovely large Victorinox knife that my OH bought for me as an anniversary present a few years ago. He said that real love is buying your partner a large knife. Spice grinder, it is actually an ancient Krups coffee grinder that we bought for 50p at a car boot, but it grinds spices very finely. My new Egg Clacker, it actually does work to top an egg Use occasionally but wouldn't part with Ice Cream maker basic frozen bowl type meat slicer, for slicing thin gammon or beef. I hate cleaning it but OH usually uses it, so he cleans it. slow cooker, very useful if you want a hot meal but haven't got time to supervise it. Otherwise I prefer casseroles cooked in the oven. Pasta maker. Microwave, hardly use mainly for quick defrosting or a quick bowl of porridge. Should get rid of. Juicer, too fiddly to clean and not fussed on the juice that it makes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 Hmm, electrically things.... Used all the time: Tefal slow cooker / rice cooker - use this several times a week, absolutely brilliant! Toaster Breadmaker Braun stick blender Actifry Not used very often: Spare slow cooker! Once owned but long since disposed of: Juicer. It was cheap, hard to clean and started to smell a bit like it was going to explode when I used it. Wouldn't bother with another one. There isn't a great deal of stuff I have that I don't use. I've just inherited a load of kitchen stuff - not quite sure what yet! - including a Kenwood chef that is probably about 30 years old. Looking forward to getting my hands on that! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted November 15, 2010 Share Posted November 15, 2010 I LOVE this thread My top loves: My kenwood food processor Breadmaker Vacuum sealing machine Water bath for Michelin style cooking Professional knife set Pasta machine A load of old vision (glass) saucepans, have bought loads on ebay too which live in the loft in readiness for the inevitable breakages My other loves: Egg poaching pods Sonic blade electric knife Proper pizza baking stone, about 3cms thick and stone The ice machine on my freezer Wide necked thermos flasks for soups and stews for work Waste of time: Popcorn maker (although OH loves it) Deep fat fryer, bought a tiny one to do chips for OH but find they are better made in a frying pan Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted December 18, 2010 Share Posted December 18, 2010 loves: Morphy Richards twenty year old four slice toaster; Sabatier Knives (also 20 years old) ; Cutco vegetable peeler (yes also 20 years old - I think I would actually fade away if I ever lost this lovely thing). A very old tupperware salad oil mixer thing. A zyliss salad spinner -although current one not as good as the old one it replaced! Swiss gold coffee filter thing that sits on top of a mug (from Whittards a long time ago) and makes excellent filter coffee. A cheap stick blender. waste of space: Ice cream maker (so annoying because my oH told me it would be!) slow cooker (gone to the tip - everything tasted the same) an extremely expensive egg poacher gadget, that I bought from Steamer Trading can't remember the make, also relegated to the tip I have a Panasonic breadmaker which isn't used very often because my son doesn't like the bread it makes and I have given up eating bread. However, I will use it over Christmas whilst my DD is home from Uni. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...