lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 After a weekend of gardening and cleaning the ladies out i have a sore lower back, I haven't really suffered before (i guess it's called getting older). Does anyone have any advice to help sooth it? I'm just keeping it warm at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Just keep it warm and keep moving. I suffer with a bad back after being passenger in a bad car accident 20 years ago - I have two discs which tend to prolapse. I see hector Wells, (Osteopath) on Bloxham Road, let me know if you need his number. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Author Share Posted November 23, 2010 I have one of those sticky warming pads on, My muscles seem to be hard on the right side (maybe a knot). There's pain in my glute and down my left leg, I might hijack a wheelchair at this rate. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Oh dear, sounds like you may have trapped your sciatic nerve keep warm and see how it goes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Sounds like a spot of sciatica ( that is the pain in the glute and pain in the leg). I am prone to this............ my physio tells me to lay on the floor ( on your back), raise the legs and put the afflicted leg at 90 degrees ( or thereabouts) over the knee of the ok leg. Then try to pull the bent leg ( afflicted one) towards the chest. Stretches the glute a treat ( and in my case releases the trapped nerve). It might be best to give it a few days then if it's no better take yourself to Claret's chappy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Author Share Posted November 23, 2010 Ok Thanks, I shall take it easy for a few days then try that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Good tip about the sciatica, I suffered a lot when pregnant and still get the odd attack from time to time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Author Share Posted November 23, 2010 ooo it's not nice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 the other thing you can do - if you can bear it - is to apply a pack of frozen peas, rather than a heat pad. it is not nearly as soothing, but I am told that it is a better way to reduce muscle inflammation/swelling etc. make sure you wrap the pack in a tea towel or something else it will 'burn' your skin. also try taking ibuprofen and then paracetamol 2 hours later - you can mix the two the like this. best of luck, back pain is the worst Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 the other thing you can do - if you can bear it - is to apply a pack of frozen peas, rather than a heat pad. it is not nearly as soothing, but I am told that it is a better way to reduce muscle inflammation/swelling etc. make sure you wrap the pack in a tea towel or something else it will 'burn' your skin. also try taking ibuprofen and then paracetamol 2 hours later - you can mix the two the like this.best of luck, back pain is the worst I'd echo that I suffer from back pain intermittently and I find that I can largely prevent it by doing abdo crunches to strengthen the core muscles that support the spine. If I get lazy and do none for a few weeks the niggle returns and gardening is the worst trigger Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Author Share Posted November 23, 2010 I'm very fit - Gym three times a week, I think thats why it's taken me by suprise. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 Me too, but two days of heaving boxes around at The National didn't help mine.. it's stiff rather than painful though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 I'd do as others have said and alternate between heat and frozen. When I was pregnant I loved putting ice on the site as it seemed to provide more pain relief than the heat did - or maybe the cold was more uncomfortable than the pain so distracted me! If you can find the trigger point apply pressure with your knuckle or thumb. You can often find the knot yourself and although the pain is worse while you are doing it you feel so much better afterwards. If all else fails see a physio/chiropractor/osteopath type - a good one can be worth their weight in gold. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 23, 2010 Author Share Posted November 23, 2010 oooo ouch.... i think i have found the knots! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted November 23, 2010 Share Posted November 23, 2010 I had a painful lower back recently (for the first time ever) and saw a local physio just twice and it was fixed . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 the other thing you can do - if you can bear it - is to apply a pack of frozen peas, rather than a heat pad. it is not nearly as soothing, but I am told that it is a better way to reduce muscle inflammation/swelling etc. make sure you wrap the pack in a tea towel or something else it will 'burn' your skin. also try taking ibuprofen and then paracetamol 2 hours later - you can mix the two the like this.best of luck, back pain is the worst I agree with this. Ice is supposed to be better than heat in the initials stages. It gets more blood, not less, rushing to the area. Might be a good idea to do some gentle stretches before a heavy gardening session an other time. The exercise you have been given is very soothing for a sore back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
lillybettybabs Posted November 24, 2010 Author Share Posted November 24, 2010 It's feeling a little better today, Other half did the hoovering last night for me, I tried the cool pack out of the freezer but was a little wimpish and couldn't keep it on for long I shall keep trying, Thank you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 ANH saidI had a painful lower back recently (for the first time ever) and saw a local physio just twice and it was fixed If it continues it may be worth seeing a physio. Years ago when I was pregnant with YS I got backache from carrying my laptop around and ended up limping around as if I was really arthritic. I was bad enough doctor referred me to a physio on the nhs and I could not believe how much difference it made , one session sorted me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...