WitchHazel

Salami - now with pics

We've been making sausages for a couple of years now, and we've decided to try our hand at Salami.

As I trype, DH is busy mincing the meat, fat, spices, salt etc, the casings are soaking, and I'm disinfecting the stuffer.

It'll be 6 weeks before it's ready.... we've bought what seems like a lot of meat (2kg shoulder pork, 1.5kg lean beef, 1kg hard back fat), so I hope it'll be OK.

We're sausage making immediately afterwards.

UPDATE:

All done! We now have 4.5kg of salamis hanging from hooks in the kitchen. They'll be here for 36 hours until the fermentation is well underway, then we need to move them to dry them for 6 weeks.

We started with 1.5kg lean beef, 2kg pork shoulder, and ikg of hard back fat. The hard back fat was minced and put in the freezer to chill. The rest of the meat was seasoned, then co"Ooops, word censored!"ly minced.

THe natural casings were rinsed and soaked

efd4726f.jpg

1dd5a579.jpg

The fat, culture and curing stuff was added, and the whole lot minced again, finely this time.

Meanwhile, I washed and sterlilised the Stuffer.

Next, we were ready to stuff. Bit of a hitch. The large stuffing horn didn't fit the machine properly. We decided to use the next size down. Started stuffing.

226726fd.jpg

We thought 3m of casing would be far too much...but it went on, and on and on. In fact, we used ALL the casing and still had a small amount of salami left

16fe6c82.jpg

We discussed our options, and decided to use some of our collagen sausage casings. Because salami is cultured and cured, you can't just fry and eat leftover mix, as one would with sausages.

We hung the salamis from hooks over the kitchen workbench. The longest one is 45cm.

667e084b.jpg

They already smell authentic, so it'll be interesting to see how they develop.

Anyone else made salami?

Is that a cat eyeing the salamis up in the third picture? :lol:

Well spotted! We moved the bar stools away from the breakfast bar so we could do the salamis and sausages, and the cat got up to watch. Nosey thing she is. Well out of paws reach, fortunately.

Where do you get your casings from?
Usually from Weschenfelder as I get their cumberland mix as well, probably my favourite sausage seasoning mix. We've also bought from sausagemaker and designasausage, and I see you can now get them from Ebay.

We've always used collagen for sausages, but now we've used this beef middle for the salami, I think we'll go for natural casings for the sausages next time.

Thanks for your interest. I'll update this thread when there is any news :)

Well, twenty-four hours on, and the colour has now changed, The whiteness of the skin has gone, and the skins are translucent. They look like salami would look if you peeled off the skin.

b8d0618a.jpg

It's also stopped dripping now. We're leaving it in the kitchen util tomorrow morning, then it's going into the loft. Our loft is well kitted out and very clean, and DH has put up a hanging rail towards the back so we can hang them up out of the way.

Not sure if it'll be quite the right atmosphere - we're looking for dry with some humidity (which sounds like a contradiction in terms, to me).

I'll update the thread with more pictures when there is any news.

Thanks for reading.

Very interesting - I've never thought of making salami. We have a sausage making friend so I'll mention it to him as well. We have made chorizo 'mix' from a HFW recipe but not stuffed it into skins, so I suspect maybe its not the same as salami, we made it into patties and fried bits I seem to remember. I much prefer natural skins on my sausages, but I've never thought about what a salami skin is made of. Thanks for posting :D

:clap: Wow, they look really impressive :clap: . Please let us know how they mature.

I've also been making sausages for a couple of years now. My OH bought me a sausage stuffer for my birthday - oh what a romantic! :roll:

I use natural casings and never really got on with the collagen ones. I have bought from ebay before, but I now get them from our local butcher. They are more expensive, but are really a lot better. Every now and then we have a sausage evening and make big batches of various flavours that we then freeze. I like to experiment and have had successes (caramelised red onion and pork is my favourite) and some failures - the duck sausages and sun dried tomatoes were not a success!