Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and can't believe I didnt see it sooner :oops:

Your girls are lovely, and I can't wait to see pics of the finished WIR :D

Your location is beautiful :mrgreen:

As Claret said, get a couple more :wink: although hen addiction is a very dangerous disease, so many of us have caught it and what started out as a few layers in the garden has ended up in vast flocks :lol: I started with 4 :shock:

Awww thanks guys - i just want the girls to have the best life they can, i get such a kick out of seeing them happy.

A couple of questions - should we make the roof of the whole run see through perspex? The ground they are on is slabbed, so its not like it will get horribly muddy, but i thought all perspex would still let the light in, but would give them some protection against bad weather. Any thoughts?

Also, the coop we have says it can take 4 chickens, however i think this would be a real squeeze, i take it adding one more to the two we have would be bad for the single newcomer?

The door of the run is now on, and although there is no roof yet, they have been out pecking around this morning (with us there) - they have been in around Gordon's feet as he makes adjustments and have been having a nosey at everything! Once the rain stops i'll get some pics.

Thanks for all your advice. :D

I have a corrugated Perspex roof and Its great :D

Seeing your house, 4 would be fine to sleep in there, its the run space that is the issue :wink:

I wouldn't introduce a sole hen, you are far better off introducing 2 new hens. There's loads of fab advice on introductions on here :D I have followed it with every set of introductions I have done (7 sets of intros so far :shock: ) and it has always worked a treat :D

From what i've read on here about introductions, it seems to be best if you have a separate area to begin with to put the new hens in? I dont have that - there is just the one coop and it would be fairly tight for space with 4 - especially if there was infighting..the two we have get along all the time, although Ginger is definitely the boss, there is no squabbling, i'd love to get another two but am worried that they will harm each other. :?

Ok..thoughts...i can pick this up tomorrow and as she needs rid of it quickly, i can get it for £20 - would this be suitable for the new hens to begin with and could it be left in the run for an extra shelter once they all get on ok?

http://dundee.gumtree.com/dundee/77/70933477.html

My husband says he can try to adapt it and make it ok for temporary accommodation.

Now..all i have to do is find 2 hens!!

This is maybe a dumb question :oops: i'm guessing it wont matter if i dont get the same type (they are hybrids) as Babs and Ginger?

Ginger and Babs have only been out in the WIR once (today) - so i am hoping that they maybe dont view it as 'theirs' yet - would this help with introductions - or is nightime roosting the real problem?

This 'disease' of hens is sooooooo infectious.... :oops::oops::oops::lol::lol::lol:

Finding hens is proving difficult! Have got possibility of bantams - but can't see them til next week. Just collected hutch - looks fine - Gordon going to adapt it later today. Other option is to get another 2 girls the same as we have, but do fancy something slightly different. Would bantams be ok with our 2 hybrids? My neighbour breeds Shetland Ponies, so is going to ask a few local farmers today if they have anything. There seems to be a distinct lack of hen breeders locally.

It's touch and go as to whether they will mix or not, some people have had success, but I've heard more tears than joy stories and would avoid it myself.

Ask some of the Scots lasses on the forum if they can recommend anywhere (ANH is a good starting point), or see if you can get some large pure breeds to go with them, then the sizes would be the same. The ads in the back pages of Practical Poultry mag are always a good place to start. I'll ask Jude if she knows of any suppliers up there, remind me of where you are Wendy....

We're in rural Angus.

Today has brought some options...

Option 1...a pair of Buff Laced Wyandottes - 6m old.

Option 2...a pair of Rhode Island Reds

Option 3...another pair of hybrids the same as Babs and Ginger.

Help!

I can go and visit the first two options, the second option of the Rhode Island Reds is about 10minutes away - both of the first 2 options are £15 per hen and option 3 are £5 each.

What would you all choose?

Wendy, since you have 2 reliable egg layers would you be interested in a couple of "interesting" pure breeds? Can't unfortunately recommend any breeders close to you as the only ones I know of are a distance away :( However the back pages of PP is a good place to start. :D See how addictive chickens are :!: Make sure your WIR is big enough while you're still building just in case you're tempted in the future :lol: Alli xx

I've been through all the list on here - unfortunately everyone is a good distance away. I just spoke to someone in the village who also has hens from the Rhode Island Red breeder that lives locally, he let me see them, they are lovely looking birds who were very friendly.

Jo, my younger daughter loves the hens, so we've given her the choice of a hen tomorrow that will be hers. She's currently reading this forum and thinking of names!

So, it looks like it's going to be the Rhode Islands.

I really liked the idea of more ornamental types but maybe that will be for the future. :wink:

The perspex roof is now on the WIR - there are a few sections still to be wired and guttering to be put up - buts it's almost finished. :D Gordon is adapting the hutch just now so that we can let the new girls integrate slowly.

Its been thick horrible fog all day today, but if tomorrows bright, I'll take some pics. :mrgreen:

I never imagined hens and a new run could be soooo eggciting (sorry!!) :doh:

I just may be becoming a hen anorak. :whistle:

I just may be becoming a hen anorak. :whistle:

Yes they don't tell you that "hen anorakism" is a direct consequence of having chickens :!: Oh and are you getting one or two more hens :?: I only ask because it's said to be easier to introduce two hens rather than one. Good luck withthe intros whatever you get. Alli xx

Ahh well, I'm in good company! I love this forum! :mrgreen:

We're getting 2 Rhode Islands - I didn't think it would be fair to introduce 1 hen to 2 existing ones...our two are very calm and placid with us, but they might pick on a single girl.

The guy we are seeing tomorrow said just to put them all into the coop tomorrow night at dusk together :? He said that they won't fight in the dark, then first thing the next morning just let them all out in the WIR with fold treats spread around - he said there will be a bit of squabbling until hierarchy is established.

Does this sound right or should we use the new hutch/run for a few days first?

He said they will first squabble when they first meet so better to get it over and done with? I don't want any if them to get hurt.

Jo has decided her hen will be called Poppy. So we'll have a Babs, a Ginger and a Poppy - any suggestions for number 4?

Some people adopt the putting in at night, however, I think this is a rather "old school" method of intros which can be a recipe for disaster.

I think separation and then sensible intros is the best way forward, also useful to keep the new hens separated until you have had a chance to assess their health for a few days :D Not that there will be a problem, but best safe than sorry :wink:

Ahhh ok, your method seems much 'kinder' and less stressy for all concerned.

So...do I keep my original girls in their coop and run and have the other two in the hutch with a wire run attached - or do I let the original girls out to run around in the WIR whilst the new girls are also in the WIR but within their run (if that makes sense??)

How long do I adopt the above for? At what point do I expect them to be 'together'...will they begin to want to roost together?

Help! I want to get this right and not upset any of them.

There is fab advice on intros in the FAQs section.

I'd leave the original girls in their current house as it's familiar. After a few days, you can let them free range together, there may be some scuffles but you can squirt them with water to stop them :wink: I keep a plant watered for this purpose and put it on spray mode :lol:

Once they have had a few days of successful free ranging you can merge them :D

Times can vary, my shortest intros have taken 9 days, my longest 6 weeks :wink: just work at the girls pace, they'll tell you when they ready, but on average I would say it takes 2-3 weeks :D

Am off to have a read..i couldnt find the threads re intros, but i was looking in the wrong place! :roll: D-oh...got it now though.

My husband is going to make a boxed run for the new girls tomorrow morning - so that both sides will be safe but will be able to see and hear each other whilst the intros take place...am off to have a read now and get more tips.

Thank you so much for all the help and advice, sorry to ask soooo many questions. :oops:

Don't apologise for asking :D we've all had to start out :D I know I was such a panicker when I did my first intros :wink: by the 7th set though, you chill out a bit :lol:

Yikes....7..you're an old hand at it now! :dance:

Have read the FAQs and they make perfect sense....am on the countdown now to having 4 hens...woooot! :clap:

My friend has just named the 4th hen 'Thistle'. :dance: