Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

Cheers guys, we've only got this far with your encouragement and advice...so huge thanks to all of you too. :clap:

Gordon is one of these people that has an image in his head and can build pretty much anything - me... :oops: i cant put together an Ikea unit! :roll: He loves to make things :pray: ..which is lucky as i love to add animals that need things!! :whistle:

The only 'scuffle' there was lasted seconds and was between the obvious dominant two - they seemed to be making a point with a bit of noise more than actually going at it hammer and tongs.

Does there reach a point after mixing them that one day there is no more squabbling..or does the squabbling continue for a while? At what point do you step in?

When i look in the original coop, i cant imagine them all sleeping in there somehow? :? Will they in time, tolerate being that close to each other when there is no food to keep them occupied?

I have two of everything, two feeders, two drinkers and two ceramic dishes where they get their porridge/scrambled eggs/veggies etc...hopefully this will mean that food wont be a flashpoint?

There will come a point where there's no squabbling, how long it takes varies from intro to intro. As for bedtime, they will like to cuddle up :D

I only intervene when it's gets nasty, a bit of squabbling is to be expected.

They will all become one happy family :D

Sorry..more questions! :oops:

So, do i keep on with the daily intros during the day and once they are playing nicely :lol: do i then start to put them to bed together...and not before then? Also, should i leave the old hutch that the new girls are in...or will this just confuse things?

The RIR's seem real toughies, whereas the Hybrid girls are real softies...or maybe i am just humanising them. :roll::oops::lol:

Yes, keep on with the intros during the day, once they are fine it'll be time to just leave them too it :D

I'd leave the rabbit run in for th time being. I have a rabbit run in my WIR which I leave in all the time, I have put perspex sheets on top to create a mezzanine level :wink: when I'm doing intros though it is shut off :D

Yours girls and WIR are lovely and what a beautiful view. As someone else said you have moved so quickly - I thought my Morehens disease was bad :lol:

Ahhh Morehens disease...i seem to have that b-a-d!! :twisted: I looked at the Patridge Laced bantams today and could feel myself thinking....'oooohhhhh...' :mrgreen:

I dont know if you can see it on the photos very well, but on the RHS on the shed there is green 'mesh' stuff on a wooden frame - it fitted along the dry stone dyke and was here when we bought the house - Gordon has used it to form a part of the WIR but we never did figure out what it was used for before...really odd..the different panels are hinged and open and close too. :think: It has to be said that there were a lot of 'odd' ideas in this house..i guess this was just another!! :eh:

What kind of chickens have you got?

I too only have 4, however would love to get some more in the future! I've only had mine for a month or so and I am already toying up the idea of expanding! I bought all of mine at the same time though, so didn't have to worry about intros! They seemed to get a pecking order really quickly and they never (while I'm watching!!) squabble; everyone knows their place and gets on with it!

chik.jpg

Heres a small picture of them when we first got them. It's been so cold, wet and muddy recently I haven't managed to take any nice picture of them or the new WIR! But we now have 2 laying :mrgreen:

What kind of chickens have you got?

I too only have 4, however would love to get some more in the future! I've only had mine for a month or so and I am already toying up the idea of expanding! I bought all of mine at the same time though, so didn't have to worry about intros! They seemed to get a pecking order really quickly and they never (while I'm watching!!) squabble; everyone knows their place and gets on with it!

chik.jpg

Heres a small picture of them when we first got them. It's been so cold, wet and muddy recently I haven't managed to take any nice picture of them or the new WIR! But we now have 2 laying :mrgreen:

Awww, they are beauties...what kinds are they? Is that a Black Rock?

They are all hybrids from Cotswold chickens. Black star PP Amber Lee (white chicken) Goldline GNR and a Cotswold black tail GNR I can't remember exactly what breeds they are crossed with though. Good luck with the intros though, I can imagine it being very rewarding seeing all the girls together at the end :D

I love the blacktails 5am, so soft and cuddly.

Kalico, black rocks are very hardy so would be suited to your climate, but can sometimes be inclined to be pecky:?

Funny you should say that, we were offered Black Rocks but my neighbour had some and he said they were really evil to each other, despite the fact they came as a foursome, apparently 3 killed the 4th one and even the 3 that are left mutilate each others eggs. :? Then today, the man who we got the Rhodies from said that he got rid of his Black Rocks because they were 'sharp'. He called them the 'German Shepherds of the poultry world'. :?

I love the blacktails 5am, so soft and cuddly.

They are all lovely girls! I'm so pleased I got the breeds I did, the gingers have such funny personalities and are so tame and the Amber lee is so small and cute and makes really soft bok boks! Seeing as you live in Banbury Claret, I could imagine it being so tempting to pop to Cotswold chickens all the time! :lol::lol:

Well...the girls are all out together and have been since 10am - there was a slight scuffle between Ginger and Poppy when they first came out - Poppy tried it on with Ginger who promptly floored her, thereafter, Poppy retreated into her bed and watched whilst Thistle, Ginger and Babs pecked around together, she emerged after 15 minutes of being in her bed and immediately deferred to Ginger who appeared to like this newly reformed Poppy and didnt do the whole hackles up thing - there is the occassional slight fleeting peck if someone gets too much in the face of anyone else - but apart from that for now harmony reigns. Gordon is working on the WIR so is keeping an eye/ear on them. At one point Thistle followed the two two brown girls up the ladder and went into the coop and sat down with them, Poppy clearly still a bit miffed stayed at the bottom of the ladder staring up..if she waiting for an invite it didnt come...well, not today...but considering they have only 'known' each other for 24hrs, all seems well.

We are going out this afternoon so will separate them again and try them together again tomorrow. :clap:

Thank you, it was the views that sold the house to us, I love the openess of it.

The girls had a spell separated this afternoon then another 30 minutes together..they pottered about together and the only bit of chasing happened when all 4 ended up in a corner of the WIR, 2 seconds a few squawks and peace reigned again.

I've separated them for overnight, but will put them together again tomorrow for a while. Without doubt Ginger IS the boss, Thistle is bottom and the other two somewhere in the middle. I love watching them!

I feel more chilled about them all today.

The girls spent all day together, few squabbles and the odd peck but no hackles or feet being used. Tonight as it got dark, we made the decision to put the girls to bed together :pray: there was a bit of scrabbling around and then silence, we hung around for a while and have been out several times to listen - silence :shh:

We plan to let them out just before it gets fully light just incase they are getting a bit ansy if they are hungry etc.

It's very, very cold here tonight, already -6 so am hoping that all 4 together will keep each other cosy.

Please keep everything crossed :pray: that the girls keep going on the way they are. :angel:

Kalico, black rocks are very hardy so would be suited to your climate, but can sometimes be inclined to be pecky:?

Funny you should say that, we were offered Black Rocks but my neighbour had some and he said they were really evil to each other, despite the fact they came as a foursome, apparently 3 killed the 4th one and even the 3 that are left mutilate each others eggs. :? Then today, the man who we got the Rhodies from said that he got rid of his Black Rocks because they were 'sharp'. He called them the 'German Shepherds of the poultry world'. :?

Well done Kalico and hubby! The WIR looks amazing, your new hens look lovely and it sounds like the intros have started well. So far so good! :D

I've heard nothing but good of Black Rocks and was going to get one next, but I don't like the sound of that! :(

My elder daughter's boyfriend's parents own a farm, they had a 15 strong flock of Black Rocks that they used for eggs and as table birds, they said today when we were talking hens (my new pastime!!) that they had problems with them cannibalising each other and also constantly eating each others' eggs. They ended up slaughtering the whole flock and now have Marans which are fine together.

A bit like 'give a dog a bad name' - I'm sure there are lots of nice Black Rocks out there. :D

I've just been put and listened in on the girls' - all is quiet. I guess the time for arguing may be first thing tomorrow - so we will have to be careful.

When I looked in on them they are all perched together, heads tucked away and all is calm and quiet. I wonder if there will be any pecking etc tomorrow now that they've been together overnight?

There are some good black rocks out there, i am sure, but I've heard a few tales in my time of them being pecky and cannibalising. I've also seen the results myself and just before Christmas had to despatch a bluebelle which had been fatally wounded by a black rock/black star :? (ETA: Not my birds I hasten to add)

They are stunning birds, but perhaps something in their genetic mix makes them inclined to be that way :? *shrugs*

Edited by Guest

Drama tonight! We were watching tv (The Omen!) when suddenly the dogs all leapt up and started barking, we have no street lamps etc as we are out in the country, I looked out into the front garden, the security lights weren't on. Ran to the back door and put the flood lights on, there standing by the WIR was a small fox, the terriers were beside me so knowing the fox would get away over the wall and the dogs couldn't follow, I let them out, the fox quickly disappeared but I hope the dogs gave her a fright - she certainly gave me one!

The roof of the run is now secure, the door is bolted, the outer door of the coop, the run and the inner doors are all bolted with the locks turned down. The plastic cover is over the whole coop and is weighted down. Gordon has laid cans along the top of the coop balanced on the edge so they will clatter down if the plastic is touched.

I've put an old battery operated baby monitor on the coop and will take the receiver to bed incase she makes a visit later on.

I have a lot of time for foxes but I'd be so gutted if she hurt the hens. :(

I've left the floodlights on for now in the hope it will put her off returning. What else can you do? :think:

There is the old trick of male urine around the perimeter.

What a scare though :shock: as long as everything (roof, doors etc) on your WIR is secure they should be safe at night. It sounds like you are doing everything you can (love the baby monitor idea :D )

I would say though, dont let them free range if you are not with them, foxes are hungry and braver at this time of year with food sources scarce.