Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

Lol! I was telling them how clever they were and they seemed like they were taking it all in - on the other hand they were maybe just willing me to give them the raisins! :lol:

It was very cold overnight and there were no !egg! this morning not even a little !eggbrown! from Poppy. :(

I got my first !egg! yesterday when the high temperature was -7C and the low was -15C

I did my egg dance in 2 feet of snow!

Wooohoooo! Great news. :D

:clap: Is it me or is there an increase in egg production on this forum? The day's are getting longer so that must mean Spring is in the air (somewhere). How many eggs so far and how have they been cooked? I hope you have an egg skelter for your eggs! :)

I think that is true - there are more eggs. All six of my "old girls" are now in lay - including Gwladys the frizzle silkie who laid her first egg this week. That's all last year's bantie chicks now in lay, as well as my hybrids although they are less reliable after their moult - laying about 2 days in every three I guess. I get between 2 and 5 eggs a day, as some lay every day and some every other day.

It must be to do with the days getting longer :)

Still looking forward to my first !eggblue!!eggblue! from the Cream Legbars!

Maybe our hens know something about Spring being closer than we know??

A question...is it normal that they begin laying and then stop? I just wondered if the cold had put Ginger and Poppy off laying today - or does it have nothing to do with last night's weather?

I noticed today that Babs is also crouching, however Thistle still looks very immature (no comb to speak of?) and shows no signs of crouching - yet she and Poppy were sold as being the same age.

I love the fact that we can all get excited over eggs on here and no one thinks we are nuts! :lol:

My pure breeds are cranking back up too - I had 4 eggs the other day. On a sad note though, two of the oldsters didn't make it through the winter/moult - one was just dead one morning, t'other had to be despatched :(

Awww sorry to read this, how old were they? :( On the positive side they had a good life with you.

We got another 2 eggs this morning at 8am - both in the same nest box (probably because someone had poo'd in the other one!!) - so there must have been a bit of a swop during the night! Both eggs look fairly similiar so I'm not sure if they are both from the Hybrids or one of the RIRs laid a different looking egg. :? That's our first half dozen since Saturday. :D

My neighbours love the chooks and had bought me a little toy hen yesterday that flaps it's wings and lays an egg...very cute! So, I gave them 2 eggs yesterday for their lunch - apparently they were delicious.

Clever girlies.

Confused I was til this morning! It's Ginger and Babs that are laying not the RIRs - both were in the same nestbox laying an egg - 2 nestboxes but no, they both wanted the same one! That's 8 eggs since last Saturday and I still get a buzz finding them!!

Have just spent about the last 20 mins of my lunchbreak (most days spent looking at 'what's happening' in the Hen world on the forum!) reading your story and laughing my head off to myself of your antics Kalico! Brings it all back from when I started with my 3 Marans, current count 24, was 29 but over the years have lost a few girls :-( and how the Henmore disease spreads and I become more anorak-like every day!

I live near Jude (Cotswold Chooks) and often just 'pop over as I need a few bits' (that's the standard party line to the OH) and coo at all her lovely POLs. Am in the process of moving from a village cottage onto a farm, therefore lots of space therefore lots more chooks!!! Am beside myself with eggscitement!

Seeing all the lovely pics from everyone makes me chuckle - I am so nosey, love to see everyone else's set ups!!

It has become a bit of an epic read, hasn't it? :lol: Its certainly been an adventure!!

I think Marans are beautiful. I'd love to have a few more but my coop is for 4 max.. :( damn, why didn't I go for a bigger one... :doh:

Another question - I notice sometimes there are really watery poos (almost oil slick-ish) in the WIR - but it's not all the time and the other poos are variable normal or curry poos, why would this be?

Also, the 2 hens that are laying will only use 1 nestbox, the other is clean but neither wants to use it? :?

I love to watch the girls, they are soooo nosey and funny, this morning they had flown up and were sitting on top of the coop in a row - they were all basking in the sun, Ginger was half lying with her eyes shutting. I laugh out loud at them chasing the stuffed kong around the ground, they HATE sprouts but love broccoli hung up. I lose ages everyday just watching them. :D

We now do group walks around the garden, 8 little feet pad around after me clucking loudly and showing me all the best places to find succulent bugs. :vom:

Did I ever mention that I love my hens???

Congratulations on your girls, your set up and... your eggs!!!

I laugh out loud at them chasing the stuffed kong around the ground, they HATE sprouts but love broccoli

Mine love their kong too but hate broccoli and love sprouts (cubed :lol:)

We now do group walks around the garden, 8 little feet pad around after me clucking loudly and showing me all the best places to find succulent bugs. :vom:

That's a LOVELY picture and really made me smile!!! Our garden is a swamp (new house, no turf, far too much rain!) so the girls are confined to barracks until we can make a bit of progress with digging down through the clay and double digging in some sand and chookie straw/manure to improve the drainage. Or maybe 12 little feet can make a headstart on it :whistle::whistle: