Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

I refuse to share the address to my webcam as I don't want anyone to see me wandering about in my PJs and snowboots....because any non-chicken owner couldn't understand how I make a warm breakfast for my chickens before I'm even dressed and fed myself!

The girls had roast potatoes and sweetcorn this morning

I used to make them porridge but then I realized that poor departed Tikka was the only one who really ate it - the others just picked out the corn or grapes that I stirred into it :eh:

I refuse to share the address to my webcam as I don't want anyone to see me wandering about in my PJs and snowboots....

I once turned down James' (from Omlet) offer of a hen cam in my garden, linked into the website... I have no desire for the nation to see me in my nightclothes, talking to the chooks, or chainsawing firewood in my bikini :roll:

I refuse to share the address to my webcam as I don't want anyone to see me wandering about in my PJs and snowboots....

I once turned down James' (from Omlet) offer of a hen cam in my garden, linked into the website... I have no desire for the nation to see me in my nightclothes, talking to the chooks, or chainsawing firewood in my bikini :roll:

or the time last week when I tried to reach into the !gored! run to get the dust bath and fell flat on my face into the run with just my legs sticking out at the end...

:clap:

More fox problems...

Poor Gordon, he's just back in having had to re-wire a hole made in the WIR today (cheers Mrs Fox) and has spent ages putting new wire on the inside - so it's double wired now - the inner wire is tiny and much stronger than the outer wire.

My neighbour was riding past and heard a real carry on, rode up the drive and saw a fox with it's back feet in a plant pot and it's head and one foot through a section of chewed wire, my poor girls were running around crazy and thankfully making lots of noise, at the sight of my neighbour/horse the fox pulled it's head out of the hole and took off across the field. She called me and we came straight home, she very kindly stayed with the chooks until we arrived home. They are all unharmed but were a bit freaked out - nothing however that wasn't fixed with a handful of corn. :drool:

I'm praying that the new inside wire (4" gap between outer and inner wire) will keep them safe if not, we may have to look at electric wire.

Argghrrrr.

Gosh you seem to be having so many fox visits!! It's good that your neighbour was there, who knows what could have happened :shock: What lovely neighbours you have :D How are they all settling in? Are the new/old chooks squabbling anymore or are they as a group now?

We didnt see her but i'm guessing this is the same fox from the other night? I have been doing that whole 'OMG..what if...' thing tonight - doesnt really bear thinking about if she had got through the wire.

The man in the village that has poultyr was telling me that he lost 2 drakes, a duck and 3 hens on New Years Day - he also lost several Quails just before Christmas...he described the fox as being very small with a dark tip on the end of her tail - which sounds very much like the fox we have had bother with. He has also had problems with a dog fox who has lost the tips of both ears, he said he is very, very bold and still continued to pursue a Turkey around the garden despite him running around trying to scare him off....jeezo, i hope the dog fox doesnt start coming in/about too.

They are settling well, they share the coop at night by choice now and during the day there is the odd peck doled out by Ginger aimed at either of the RIRs - mainly the more dominant of the RIRs - or she will peck either of them if they touch or make Babs squawk - apart from that all is harmonious. All 4 seem much more like a group now that 2 x 2 sets.

The people in the village are lovely and everyone seems to look out for everyone elses' property/pets etc. I popped down to Sainsbury and got the lady some flowers and a bottle of wine - i've promised her some eggs when we finally get them.

Is there anything else i should try as well as the double wire?

Scary day, but it all turned out ok in the end. :pray:

Very worrying and scary for you. Fingers crossed that this will do the trick now. Have you thought about a webcam so you can maybe check on the girls/run without having to go out in the night? You could then also check on them while you're away... although I wouldn't know how to set that up!

When do we get more photos? :D

What an awful fright. :(

In your case I would consider using weldmesh rather than chicken wire. Most people have 19g but 16g is said to be foxproof. I have that and it's strong and screwed onto the frame but no more intrusive than the thinner one as you can see here.

week6069.jpg

There other fox deterants like foxwatch or electric wires :?

We had heavy snow overnight, the area around the WIR was covered with foxy footprints - you could see where she'd been up on her hindlegs etc, and apart from leaving us a nice package :vom: at the run door, there was no evidence of any damage to the wire etc. The double wire seems to have foiled her...for now.

Scary Wendy :shock: but well done your Gordon for sorting it.

With regards to webcam addresses, I used to have a link to it on my signature, but removed it after a few PMs complimenting me on my wellies and PJ combo :lol:

Anyone who saw it this morning would have seen me, Tasha (Redwing) and Lewis (lwescott) all cuddling chickens :wink:

Lol...we should just cut to the chase and post pics of us all in our jammies!! :lol::lol:

We lived out the edge of a small town for 15y, until August when we moved to this tiny hamlet - it's so different, everyone looks out for everyone else, within 24hrs of being here, we'd had flowers, plants and eggs brought to the door - that never happened in 15y of living in town. There is a community spirit and a feeling that people genuinely care, which is lovely. My nearest neighbour will often call to tell me that there is a deer in the field, or that he saw the Woodpecker in our garden.

I'm really looking forward to giving them some eggs.

I can't help feeling a little bit green :mrgreen: when reading about you guys in real hamlets, villages etc and how friendly everyone is. I live in what calls itself a 'village' in South Oxfordshire but in reality it is suburbia / a dormitory for commuters. However hard I try to kid myself with my chickens, doves, dogs, etc. it really is not a friendly place. Recently some people looked at me as if I was mad when I offered them some eggs (I think they thought they were odd eggs as they were small and torpedo shaped :wall: ). Never mind, one day I am determined to move to a real country place and have even more chickens :pray:

I used to feel just like you Cheaky Chook, I felt really sad where we lived as it wasn't hugely friendly, I once tried to start a Neighbourhood Watch and was told 'we don't don't need it' :roll:

No one ever seemed to look out for anyone else, no one seemed to hugely care - and I hated that.

My mum says that this new place is much more like 'the old day's when people cared. My parents live in the town we left and in the bad snow everyone cleaned their own little bit and would pile their snow up against other peoples' newly cleared drives. :roll: My parents cleared their own drive and that of two of their elderly neighbours'. Here, we had really bad snow and everyone was out clearing the road and helping everyone else - what a difference it makes.

Hopefully you willget your wish and will move out into the country. :pray:

Seriously?? :o Ohhhhh, I am going to be sooooo chuffed when I get that first egg!! None of the others are doing it, just Poppy, although I did notice today that Ginger's comb seems redder than I remember.

The girls are loving the 'enrichment' ideas you gave us - the hung up 'swinging' veggies get a good old battering!!

They have been showing lots of interest in the baby guinea piggies, to the point where I've put clear perspex over the front of their hutch! I think it's the pigs food they want more than the pigs themselves...I hope!!

I'm amazed at how quickly they have become tame - and cheeky!

I can't wait to post and say there's been an !egg!

Don't forget that it's obligatory to do the egg dance around the garden.

It never wears off either... after so many years, I am still chuffed when they start to lay again after the winter off :D

....is the dance to be done in pjs and wellies?

I notice this morning she only does it sometimes? I keep checking eagerly to see if there's an egg there...do they lay at any time in the day?

Soooooo excited now!