Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

Yes PJs and wellies are obligatory for the egg dance :lol:

They lay whenever they feel like it, as far as I can tell. Each hen will usually sort out her own laying pattern, some of mine seem to prefer to get on with it early so the rest of the day is their own, others like a post-lunch cogitate on the nest. But sometimes an egg will appear overnight or late in the afternoon most unexpectedly, which is quite nice :D

Ahhh ok..i'll keep checking! I think the first egg definitely has to go to Gordon who spent his entire Christmas holiday building their WIR - a fitting thank you would be a nice freshly boiled egg with soldiers of course! :lol:

Wendy, Hi, just catching up with your thread. What a time you've been having with Mr/Mrs Fox. I'm so sorry, it must have been so scary for all of you. I am always thankful that despite living next to a field full of sheep I have never seen a fox. Great to hear your RIR's are crouching , eggs very soon. Alli xx

We've seen the fox twice since all the drama with her - she now walks past the garden and makes no attempt to come in - we also saw her just at dusk last night in the field..again she bypassed us...could she have got the hint?? :pray:

1st egg is here!! It weighs 50g and is just beautiful!!

Not sure who it was - but suspect Poppy, one of the RIRs.

Gordon is about to sample it now :D

OMG - first !egg!

aegg.jpg

Gordon had it fried on toast and it was delicious! :clap::dance:

The shell was of 'normal' thickness with no soft bits - i take it this means their nutrition is all ok (since i stopped overfeeding/spoiling them). :oops:

Edited by Guest

Beautiful. :clap:

I hope you got a taste! OH and I shared the first egg - fried. :lol:

I cant eat eggs - they bring me out in bumps :| its ok if they are in something (like cake..nom, nom, nom) but otherwise my skin goes all weird - has done since i was a baby. So i could only :drool: and imagine how nice it tasted! :dance:

Couple more questions. :oops:

Is there anything different I should do now that one if the girls has laid an egg? Is there any additional supplementation they need? Or is layers pellets it? I got a powder to mix in their layers porridge that contains seaweed etc (forget the name but it smells like aniseed?).

I have a Justgrass for the piggies, I notice the hens love grass - is some Justgrass ok for them? I haven't given them any yet, just incase.

Thanks in advance.

Hurrah - fantastic news!

Sounds like a good weight to me for a first egg as well - you could be in for some whoppers :D

I think (good) layers pellets are meant to be a complete food, but you can supplement with things such as veg greens (esp when too wet to FR), calcium, garlic powder, poultry spice...

Woooooooot! Another !egg! this morning :clap: - bigger one - 60g today. :clap: I thought RIRs laid brown eggs? The eggs we are getting (see pic) are quite pale - it's maybe one of the Hybrids? GNR

They were really funny this morning, the ice/snow has gone so they got a run around the garden, the soft grass and the nibbles in it meant they couldn't contain their excitement and the was much clucking. :dance:

Hi

I'd definitely recommend chicken keeping. They are fab pets that are productive too. Their eggs are far superior to shop bought. I've had my girls since last July and they are great. I've got hybrids but as a newcomer to chicken keeping I've found them easy to care for really and hardy birds.

Read the forums here but check out your local library or invest in a decent book aimed at beginners too. It's helpful to have the basics before you get your girls. Visit someone with chickens too if you can. You'll soon get hooked I promise.

Lisa

Hi

I'd definitely recommend chicken keeping. They are fab pets that are productive too. Their eggs are far superior to shop bought. I've had my girls since last July and they are great. I've got hybrids but as a newcomer to chicken keeping I've found them easy to care for really and hardy birds.

Read the forums here but check out your local library or invest in a decent book aimed at beginners too. It's helpful to have the basics before you get your girls. Visit someone with chickens too if you can. You'll soon get hooked I promise.

Lisa

They are fab, arent they? I am sooo enjoying having them. :dance:

Another egg was waiting at 8am, still warm, but smaller and a different colour, so I'm guessing from a different hen? It will be interesting to see if the '11am egg' still arrives today too - it's mad how proud you can feel over an !egg!:lol:

It's amazing how proud you feel about each egg :D It's because you know the effort that has gone into making each one. Another of my hens came back into lay after her winter moult today, I didn't realise she was ready to start laying again until I found !egg!!egg! in the nest box this morning when I opened up. I did a little dance of joy around the garden! :lol:

It's amazing how proud you feel about each egg :D It's because you know the effort that has gone into making each one. Another of my hens came back into lay after her winter moult today, I didn't realise she was ready to start laying again until I found !egg!!egg! in the nest box this morning when I opened up. I did a little dance of joy around the garden! :lol:

Lol...what a clever girl!

I went out to check on the chickens when I got back in from walking the dogs and there was Ginger sitting tight in the nest box, 5 mins later I heard her shouting and there she was in the run - in the nest was a lovely warm egg. That's 2 today. :mrgreen:

The egg from this morning looks very different, so I can only think that it's been Ginger who has laid the 3 pale larger eggs and that the first smaller darker egg is from Poppy, one of the RIRs.

IMG_0555.png