Guest Kalico

Hi, thinking of getting chickens

Awww thank you all, he was such a special boy.

My girls came home today. :D They are 6m old, from a free range commercial farm, they are remarkably laid back, allowing us to pick them up. We have called them Ginger and Babs!

In the end we went for two for now, I was worried that the coop might be a bit small for 3 (although it says it's fine for 4). We have moved the coop/run to the other side of the garden, it's sitting on slabs just now, but we have put squares of turf into the run. The coop is protected by a dry stone dyke on one side, and the log store/shed on the other. My husband is going to build a walk in run for them with a roof..as the area is on slabs, within the walk in there will be a turfed area, a dustbath area and a soil area where they can dig/look for bugs. There will also be a tree stump and perches for them. We are going to try to add things for them to do as well.

They were put in their coop/run and immediately got straight into their pellets. Just before bed they had some veggies, mixed corn and a few bits of sweetcorn, they had a great time pulling earthworms out of the turf! They are now safely tucked up in bed.

A few questions....

1okIe it ok that the coop/run is on slabs as long as there are sections of grass/soil?

2) I had to put them into the coop tonight - will they learn to go to bed themselves at dark?

3) I've got a friend from work coming, one of the vets to health check them, should I worm them now?

4) I've put straw in the nest box and sawdust in the poo tray under the perches. It's very cold here tonight and the forecast says it's to get worse - should I cover the coop with some plastic to give them more protection?

It was nice today to do something positive after the upset on Friday.

Can I just say a huge thanks for all the great advice :mrgreen:

Wooo, way to go Wendy! :D

1okIe it ok that the coop/run is on slabs as long as there are sections of grass/soil?

That's fine, they can even go without the grass (it won't last long anyway!) so long as you give them a few greens such as cabbage leaves each day - hang them up in the run to give them some fun

2) I had to put them into the coop tonight - will they learn to go to bed themselves at dark?

Usually, although some are incredibly dim and need to be popped in for a couple of nights until they get used to it

3) I've got a friend from work coming, one of the vets to health check them, should I worm them now?

Wait until they've settled down a bit to avoid overloading their systems, then worm them next week and give the preventative lice treatment the following week. Repeat both quarterly.

4) I've put straw in the nest box and sawdust in the poo tray under the perches. It's very cold here tonight and the forecast says it's to get worse - should I cover the coop with some plastic to give them more protection?

If it is sturdily built, they will be fine, chickens run hotter than us (105deg) and have thick feather duvets, you'll be surprised at how warm they are. Best to use wood chips or Aubiose in the nest box as straw can get manky very quickly and the hollow strands tend to harbour mites.

You do realise that we expect photos! :D

Ginger and Babs

IMG_0519.jpg

New House and new position

IMG_0520.jpg

Booootiful girls

IMG_0522.jpg

Lots more light here and protection from the log store and shed

IMG_0523.jpg

Hard to see because of the snow but the whole area around will become a walk in enclosure for them - stopping just before the shed door - there will be tree stumps, a dirt bath, a grassed area and an earth area to scrabble in...

IMG_0524.jpg

Meant to ask...that pine plant thing in front of the shed..is this ok for them? Also there is a rowan tree that wont be in the run but will border the run - are the berries ok incase any fell into the run?

The mesh screening on the right of the pics was here when we moved in 4m ago - we have no idea what it was used for...very odd..but it will work well with the hens! If the walk in run is 1.8m - does it need a roof?

Kailico, Hi, Congratulations on your new hens. :) They look lovely & I'm sure their enclosure will be fab. I think you'll find that most walk in runs which contains hen housing is roofed. Having a roofed area helps prevent the flooring getting wet since wet flooring = yucky & pooey.

This is different from an open run where many hens spend large parts of their day. for example our WIR is roofed and filled with hemcore. Our hen enclosure is a large bit of garden fenced off for the hens. This is not roofed but is open to the elements. It is full of mature shrubs and a shelter.

I was so sorry to hear that your old lurcher had passd away. I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel. Our Sparky is 13yrs old but fit & active - we are sooooo lucky :!:

Welcome to the forum too - it's lovely to have another Scot around :D

Alli xx

Looks great! :D The plants should be ok as they tend to avoid stuff that is bad for them. I am led to believe that foxes could get over a fence of 1.8m so you might want to put a roof on it.

Looks like you live in a rather scenic part of the world. Where are you? (roughly).

We are in rural Angus in Scotland..we just moved here from a village 5 miles away in August..these are the views from the back of the house...

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

..and the front...

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

We get lots of wildlife and i love how the view changes every day. :D

Despite a very cold night and chilly morning, the girls were out bright and early. I gave them fresh water and layered pellets only - I've started to carry with me a Tupperware box with mixed corn in it, I rattle it and call to them - they were doing lots of clucking and ate a tiny bit of corn from my hand (was sooooo chuffed at this). I'm working this afternoon and tonight so will get my husband to feed them some corn and a few veggies this afternoon.

I noticed their poos seemed a little looser (still formed though) than yesterday - I'm guessing this is maybe just a but of stress and different food?

I was just going to leave the hopper with the layered pellets in the run all day? I'll give them a little treat of something at lunchtime before I go.

I can't wait til the run is built so they have space to run about.

Thanks again all for the advice/help.

Their poos will settle down with time, also when they have been wormed. If they get a bit runny, then just cut out the greens/veg and give them a bowlful of Bokashi Bran with natural live yoghurt for a couple of days - that usually sorts it out.

Rowan berries are fine, mine eat the spares when i make apple and rowan jelly. They are usually bright enough to avoid eating anything harmful, although mine are particularly fond of cat sick. :vom:

I am very sorry to hear about your beautiful dog (he looks such a cheaky chappie) but I am glad you have gone ahead and got two chickens. Of course they would never replace a dog but it will do you good to be busying yourself with such funny, dotty things as hens when your horizons seem rather blue. I feel sure they will help you smile again.

I 'lost' about an hour today just watching them...they made me laugh out loud watching them trying to pull a worm from the turf in their run - no easy task when everything is frozen solid.

They had to be put into the coop again - they don't seem to understand they can go up the ladder as well as they come down it!

I took them a grape this morning and both let me stroke them, they are surprisingly tame. They give not a jot about the dogs, they just give them a hard stare and carry on eating!

It's been nice to focus on something positive after the last few days.

The girls have just had a run around the garden - they scuttled here and there until i popped into the kitchen at which point two little faces were staring through the patio doors - there was then a mad dash to get to me outside as i had there baked potato/veggies/pasta - Jeezo..can these girls eat!

:lol::lol: you sucker Wendy - they love that sort of thing, but it's the chicken equivalent of feeding your kids on fry-ups and cake... they love it but it won't do them any good. Keep them to layers feed (pellets or mash) and a few greens or a bit of corn in the evening and they will thrive and lay well. If they get too many treats, they'll get very fat and not lay many eggs :shameonu::lol:

Hi, I have read this post with great interest. We got our new three ladies on 6th November when they 17.5 weeks.

We are loving having them and I could relate to Kalico's excitement and enthusiam.

However the recent post regarding treats is interesting and might help me. Ours are on layers and in the afternoon occasionally get corn. Some mornings especially when it was snowing, I made porridge with water for them and they scoffed the lot. They also like bread - but I limit that since I thought it might swell up in their bellies??

The other thing though I have tried is peelings but they don't seem to fancy them much. So over the last few weeks I've tried a couple of things; Boiling peelings - still no takers. So then I boiled them up and blitzed them into a thick soup - still no luck.

On Sunday whilst making the roast - I tried again, this time boiling my peelings, then blitzing then adding organic millet flakes from Holland & Barrett (lucky chooks!) with the thought in mind that if it was like porridge they might like it - annoyingly seemingly not.

Since I'm now spending more time on my chickens menu than that of my husband and toddler - I thought someone might be able to suggest what I might be doing wrong?!

Thanks

ps Still no eggs - not one - how much longer to wait?! :whistle:

Congratulations on your girls. To make the porridge use pellets and warm water then add some mashed cooked veg bit of corn and chopped fruit and they may try it.

When my first girls were young they wouldn't try it to begin with but doesn't matter as long as they eat their layers they'll be fine.

Have you tried hanging cabbage leaves up in the run for them?

I wouldn't give them bread. As you say it will swell make them feel full then they'll not eat their proper food :D

Yup, bread has no nutritional benefit for them, plus the gluten causes it to swell up in their crops. I healthy flock with just a few treats of veggies or corn at the end of the day will thrive. Too much carbohydrate will make them fat - chickens gather fat around their internal organs (inside the skeleton) instead of around their tums and bums as we do. This inhibits their organ function and can make them quite unhealthy.

Mine love hung up greens, a wee bit of corn or some dried mealworms or gammarus shrimps, but that's all they get. I have a couple of oldsters, one is 5 years old and still laying.

:oops: Ok...steep learning curve - they are still loose and i'm guessing its me over-indulging them. :oops:

The poos are definitely squidgy. :silenced:

Everytime i've been going out to them i've been taking them a little something...1/2 a grape, a few bits of corn - i've been giving them their layers pellets (feeder is down all day) then at lunchtime giving them a few bits of corn, about an hour before they retire - veggies/pasta etc. I also give them a few 'pinches' of corn for going into their beds at night..how much corn should they get in a day.

Is it wrong to feed them everytime they see me - i was really only doing this so they would tame down nicely - and also because i like the fact that they are feeding and letting me stroke them.

If i only give them layered pellets and a drop of corn tomorrow will this firm them up?

Their walk-in run is coming along nicely, the panels are being made (as i speak..lol!) - so hopefully they will have access to it by Christmas. I feel a bit bad that all day they only have access to the run with the coop as its not very big. Hence the fact i am spoiling them. :roll:

Feel free to tell me off! :oops::oops::oops: