catherinedon

how often do you change **Run bedding

wht ever you use on the floor of your WIR. In mine I have some sort of wood chip from the local hatchery. They sell it in two types one is for runs and the other which is finer is for bedding. I put it all down in August when I got the chickens and it is great as there is no obvious poo as it valls to the bottom. It does however now look much different in colour and has had some rain and snow on it which has blown in when the door is lefyt open all day. I was thinking of changing it in Jan then wondered if waiting until July again would be too long. Is 6 months way too long? can I also say that i have an outside run just off the coverd one with perches and just netting on top to stop the girls flying over the fence. I wanted this so if they chose to they could feel the wind and rain. It has aconcret floor which daily is covered in poo andI was wondering if I shoulfd also put wood chip here or would it be wrong and harmful to have a flooring like that so exposed to the elements thanks

wow at the hatchery they said 6 months and their chickens all looked well cared for. Im now wondering if its my fault that 2 of my girls are not well as its been down since Aug as is probably damp :oops: will have to doa asap then. every 6 weeks though must work out very expensive as my run takes about 5 large bags. when I dig it all up what would you reccomend I give it a good clean with. Is it ok to put wood cjips on my outside run exposed to elements as getting quite messy with poo just on concrete

I left woodchip down for 3 months or so and it would have been fine leaving it longer. To keep it free from overload of bacteria, worm eggs and other nasties sprinkle down some stalosanF or similar or you can use garden lime raked in to neutralise it and kill baddies.

Redwing has kept hers down for ages and her girls are really well.

Just watch out for ammonia which you'll smell which is harmful to their lungs but if you treat it as above that will solve that problem.

The outside run could have woodchip put down. It lasts fine exposed to the elements and manage as above. :D

I've got a covered run and use easibed and aubiose, I poo pick daily and changed it after loosing a chicken then before introducing others which has been a bit frequent this autumn :oops::D

went to hatchery yest and chicken man said no point in changing now as may get wet again but mix some new in to help dry out the old.I have put two big bags in and mixed it all up. Have also done some more weather proffing so hopefully wont get wet. I like the idea of stalofen sp? that has been recommended, hvae never used this before.

Good stuff

Here's an extract from blurb on FSF website :D

'Stalosan F Hygiene powder is a very effective cleansing disinfectant. DEFRA recommended. For use in and around the poultry house and run. Also widely used in stables, farm building and smallholdings.

Broad spectrum, destroys worm eggs, coccidial oocysts, fly eggs and larvae. Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral. Highly absorbent and will help to reduce the ammonia smell created by the chicken's droppings.

Sprinkle generously throughout the (dry) poultry house particularly over litter etc.

8kg Tub.'

I have a WIR with a concrete base, and a roof. The bedding rarely gets wet - only a bit round the edges - thanks to the roof. I use Hemcore or Bliss and keep it quite deep - 3 to 4 inches. I put Stalosan F down each time I change the bedding. This varies between 6 weeks and 12 weeks. However I do pick the worst of the poo, replace any bits that do get a bit wet, and also remove and replace the bedding around the feeders regularly to prevent build-up of mouldy feed.

They seem to do pretty well on it.