The Dogmother

What is your job?

I'm also a teacher of sorts - I'm a university lecturer. Most of the time I love my job and right now I really love it - I'm about to go on sabbatical for a semester so will be heading off to Kenya for a couple of weeks of fieldwork in the Masaai Mara at the beginning of Feb - can't wait! It's a new project and a new site so it's all very exciting!

That sounds brill - keep us posted!

I have had a variety of jobs since leaving school at 16 many moons ago I was a girl Friday for an engineering company spent a few years temping as a receptionist once I had children I worked as a barmaid, office cleaner, payment collector for provident, sports centre receptionist all evenings or weekends and part time so that I could be at home with the 4 children when the youngest was at secondary school I changed direction and became an employment advisor for a Charity until Feb 2010 when my contract wasn't renewed. I am now unemployed living off my OH and happier for it.

Edited by Guest

I'm a university lecturer too. Am just returning to the usual routine after a research term (not as exciting as Minnie&Moose's, sadly the only equipment essential to my research is paper, pencil and rubber), so have lots of paperwork sat waiting on my desk at the moment :? I usually enjoy my job though :wink:

All these replies illustrate just how resilient we women are. Something to applaud and be proud of.

My working memories are a curate's egg. I loved my job as Veterinary surgeon with my own practice, the hours were long and the rewards great but I remember the struggle of living "over the shop" for 10 years, bringing up a baby with an alcoholic husband to placate and not a night off duty, bar 2 weeks annual holiday, for 10 years.

We just get on with it. I wouldn't change anything except sometimes I wish I'd had the courage to ditch the first husband......but then my wonderful daughter would not be here

I may be retired now and living an indulgent life but I like to think I now deserve some peace and quiet.

I think you are all marvellous.

Now retired, but I was a doctor. I worked in hospital medicine (principally respiratory, cardiac and diabetes) for a while, then went into public health. I spent many years working at the University of Birmingham where I set up and ran the Master's programme in Public Health, and did research into respiratory disease and air pollution, and ran training sessions to help public health professionals pass their postgraduate exams (as well as teaching undergraduate medical students). I retired in 2006 (ill health retirement although only 18 months before I was due to retire anyway).

Since retirement I have helped my husband with his business, and also work on a wildlife site that I own and run with my husband. I run a few nordic walking classes each week as I am a qualified fitness instructor and personal trainer. I am also studying photography at college. Retirement is fabby! I'm more busy now than I was when working but with much less stress and definitely more chickens :)

Another primary teacher! Although after 16 years and 2 children I had enough and am now deputy head at an amazing pre-school. I now love my job again 'cos I'm working with the children. Teaching used to be like this before all the paperwork got in the way. :twisted:

I'm also responsible for Senco and Safeguarding children.

Great, valuable work and very, very little stress. :D