The Dogmother

What is your job?

i dont know how many are ladies in this thread as some names are new but theres an awful lotta clearing up after others here be it human or animal. :lol: Also a lot of us do things not in our job descriptions like fixing leaks at work and making cakes to help keep morale up. I also seem to be agony aunt to receptionists and private nurse when they think their bloods sugars are high, low and BP is high. Love em though as they look after me too.

I am a part time checkout assistant at Waitrose in Henley-on-Thames.

I started work again this year after an 18 year break,during which I had a family & did the accounts for our small building/home maintenance/windows company. I still do this now,but it takes very little of my time.

I only work at Waitrose for 12 hours a week,& decided to go for the job as my eldest daughter works there while she is at college,so it made sense as I was driving to & for all the time anyhow.

I have only ever worked in retail,& only for small companies before.

I really enjoy it,& the JLP are fantastic to work for :P

I am also a mystery shopper,& do a few of these a month. I really enjoy this,it doesn't pay that well,but it all helps!

Also I am a product tester for several companies & trial things like cosmetics,face creams & skincare products,washing powders,and even food sometimes.

I am on the product testing panel for a large supermarket (not the one I work for) too,& they send me own brand goods for me to test for them & to give my opinion on.

After doing a post graduate course last year I now work at a private daycare nursery, running the room for 2 year old children. (There's a lot of clearing up to do after 2 year olds too! :lol: ). I enjoy it, but there's a lot of organising and paperwork involved. Often, I spend so much time planning and setting things up for the other staff to do, I realise I don't get to spend as much time with the children myself as I'd like. The big change for me is that I'm now working full time, after years of part time work as a Learning Support Assistant while the boys were growing up. My husband works from home so he deals with all the school stuff and toing and froing now. A complete role reversal!

Since becoming a mother 14 years ago I've done part time cleaning, mainly early mornings to fit around the boys. I'd love to have a job that I love, but have never wanted to do anything badly enough to train - I've always been able to see the 'cons' of a job just as clearly as the 'pros' - some of your jobs sound like my idea of hell :lol: . Apart from getting up at 4.30am ( which you soon get used to ) my job is OK as I have finished my work when most people are just starting . I can't imagine going back to full time work - when would I get to go on my forums ?

I used to do Pathology - cutting up & all the gore. I loved it at the time, but it was very disturbing & ultimately gory. I gave up my fab salary, went abroad - could have done the same job, but just wanted out of the disturbing day to day scenes. So I had a total change whilst I thought about what I wanted to do. I became an Au Pair / Nanny in Salzburg. Then I moved from the city, into the mountains & worked in a hotel waiting on. I loved that & if had my time again, would have loved to have been a cook / patisserie cheffete! :wink:

I then went to Canada doing similar. Came back & decided to try my hand at office work. Hmm didn't really like all the power dressing & eventually the Fire engine company went bust. Lucky for me I saw it coming & went to work at a plumbers merchants in their office. After a while hubby decided to let me come & work with him. So I work for him. It's just round the corner from my house & I do a lot sat here at home. Yay! I do the invoices, orders, sales & the accounts. He does all the technical stuff making & repairing electronic l.e.d displays, circuit boards, bingo machines, dartscorers, random numerators. We also sell all the consumables - bingo tickets, raffle & the like. I love my job now - it doesn't require much brain power, but I am a stress free person now. :dance:

So that's me in a nutshell -I'm just me, an admin lady. :wink:

I also bake hell of a lot! :D

Emma.x

I love this thread :D ...........so interesting to see what everybody does.

I work for the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist in the Haematology department. I'm the one who your blood tests get sent to after they get taken at the GP's or when you are in hospital. I also work in the Transfusion dept. which is where all the real excitement happens and minutes matter when there has been a major accident or major bleed in theatre.

The pay is completely pants for the responsibilities we carry and the politics we have to put up, but that is the same for everyone who works for the NHS I think..............you don't work for them unless you love the job :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

In the future, if I ever get bored, I may change and swap to do my job in vets labs instead, as the amount of work they do for animals is getting more and more now.......always nice to have options :D:D .

Or maybe, I'll just breed chooks, or open a cattery .............who knows ? :wink:

I'm a vicar....which my children say is just an extreme form of motherhood. Mostly love it...people are so generous with themselves and let you into their lives at really important times - but I am not a great administrator and there's alot about running a church that I am seriously bad at and don't enjoy at all.

Loved it when I was a curate so could just do the fun bits with people and avoid the dire bits with paperwork.

I've done a variety of things - started off my working life working for HM Inspector of Taxes (horrible job) then had children and became lunchtime assistant at school, and Administrator for Playgroup (ace jobs) Then got talked into working for our family road haulage firm in the accounts office (worst job EVER!)

Have been working as a Dispenser in the Dr's surgery in the village I have lived my whole life in. Think I have probably found the job for me now!! Its great feeling that you are doing something to help your community - and handy when you're at the school gates looking across at the 'in' crowd, secretly knowing they are not quite as perfect as they look!!!

I'm a civil servant, although in the process of being made redundant. I am the regional programme manager for one of the European Funding streams aimed at getting the most disadvantaged get into employment amongst other things. Due to have a sprog in the next couple of weeks so that'll be my focus for a while. :D

I am now retired but for 34 yrs I ran my husband's NHS dental practice in a poorer part of NE England.I trained as a teacher but once the children arrived started P/T and over the years it became more and more full time. For the past 25 yrs I have been a member of the Independent Monitoring Board at a local prison. I help to inspect on behalf of the public that prisoners are held in humane conditions and are treated correctly.

Jackie

I'm a police officer, have been for 18 1/2 years, seen lots, met some "interesting" people, it's the best job and the worst job sometimes.

Before that I:

Made pizzas

made curtains,

drove a courier van,

worked in a government vet pathology lab

worked for the Met Police as a civvie,

was a receptionist / telephonist (only for a month, never did work out the phone system! :lol: )

was in the TA for three years and did some part time civvie work for them

worked in a garden centre (best job EVER! But about the worst pay :roll: )

BeckyBoo

I was a senior scientific officer for MAFF as was DEFRA as is in the labs testing food,feed stuffs poo and soils etc. I had a great time for 13 years then privatisation happened. As hubby was in the Navy we were weekending and travelling miles so I threw in the towel and moved down to Cornwall from Wolverhampton. I trained as a Nursery Nurse but only used it as supply as the girls arrived.

I am now a full time Mum, smallholder (ponies, quails, chickens and dogs - preparing for the pigs) and I teach horse riding to the disabled voluntarily. I am too busy to work but love my life. Hubby is now a sailing dinghy instructor for a children's charity during the season and again he loves our new life.

My working career started back in 1978 when at 17and a half, I joined the Woman's Royal Air Force in the Supply Branch (now known as logistics). Helping to supply anything from bullets, missiles to toilet brushes - you name it and we supplied it. Travelled a bit which included - Germany, Norway, France, Canada, USA, Belize, Scotland andEngland. Served 18 years but at the point when my eldes tson was 18 months old, thought it was time to take control of my life so took redundancy.

Then worked at the Woodland Trust HQ in Grantham on the fundraising team, which was a job I absolutely loved. Left that to live with hubby in Saudi for five year then came back to UK.

Now I work as a 1:1 Teaching Assistant plus Lunchtime Supervisor in the village Primary School - again another job I love. I have been lucky in all the jobs I have done, in that I have enjoyed them but then I have always void - if I don't enjoy it anymore - move on to another chapter in my life.