The Dogmother

What is your job?

This topic came up recently on another forum that I frequent - it turns out that with our jobs we could offer advice and all services to cover from the cradle to the grave...quite literally :lol:

So what's yours?

I work as the office manager for 7 UK offices of a firm of construction consultants; we work on construction contracts for massive jobs such as the olympic stadium. It's just 5 minutes walk from home, and working with mostly men keeps me on my toes and my sense of humour intact. :lol: After that 40 hour week, I have my other jobs of chief cook and bottle washer to a 12 year old, a lurcher, 2 cats and 12 hens...... oh and did I mention that I pilot space shuttles? :wink:

I work with stroke patients and their carers/families. Mostly offering advice and practical support to people with speech and language problems post-stroke but also more general information and support where needed and supporting people to move on from formal therapies to community based support and finally full independence as far as possible. I do all my admin and paperwork from home :dance: and go out for meetings, patient visits etc.

And like you Claret, I am chief cook, bottlewasher and cleaner evenings/weekends.

I am a Catering Assistant at a boarding school for girls and boys from 8 years to 19 years old. Over 400 pupils to feed 3 times a day and at lunchtime staff meals as well, probably over 150 staff.

My job involves mostly function work. I am given a function menu and numbers and then have to put everything together and make sure the items are in the right place at the right time. Numbers range from 20 to nearly 400, there is a big function coming up next year for 600 :anxious: I am very good at folding fancy napkins and polishing glasses :lol: we also hold weddings, christenings and funerals. Functions held most weekends with sometimes a couple during the week.

A lunchtimes I man the "Subway" type sandwich bar. Two of us make about 100 sandwiches, wraps and rolls to order in an hour.

Head Practice nurse for one surgery and locum for another, do chronic disease management, asthma, diabetes, travel health and smears and wound management. I also make tea when everyone is busy! off duty I cook, clean and look after 3 males (50 something, 15 and 9), 2 cats, 1 bun and 3 chucks. In my spare time serve on PTA, see friends, garden and have an allotment.

You have to have a sense of humour, thick skin and be unshockable - every so often I will be left with my gob on the floor at something I come across. You also develop a dirty sense of humour almost black I would say. You have to if you dont want to burn out.

Oh Scarlet I did that for barnet GP's some yrs back. I had a memorable phone call where the receptionists who answered the phone and took details - stopped work to listen to a consversation I was having and could only hear my side of the story but could glean enough to put 2 and 2 together - they were literally on the floor tears spilling down their faces and I was doing my best to keep it together without falling apart. They never let me forget it. I could fill the forum with these tales too - but the mods would have steam coming out their ears.

I'm a part time dance lecturer aswell as a part time cabaret dancer, stiltwalker, kid's clown and magician's assistant (as you do!) Been doing it for years, I've never had much money but i've seen parts of the world i'd never have seen otherwise. I also run a small agency supplying entertainers for corporate and nightclub events so any aspiring dancers out there, CV's to me please! X

Like Redwing, I do project things for a large multi-national company and go anywhere, anytime, any place... wherever I'm sent and wherever customers are... to impossible deadlines..

Sounds mad and I'm beginning to think it is mad! Many moons ago, in real life, I was an infant school teacher. Still not sure how I got from there to here. Probably my inability to say no to challenges offered to me.

It is quite fascinating to have a look at what people do - thanks for the topic Claret!

I work part time as a Legal Adviser in our local Magistrates' Court. As with all jobs where you meet members of the public, it can be very interesting. As I walk round town I will often be greeted by "customers." When DD was younger and allowed herself to be seen in my company, she would often ask, "Mum, is that a friend or a criminal?"

A colleague of mine is also an Omleteer but I will let her introduce herself!

I'm jlo's partner in crime so to speak, though may be eligible for parole soon as redundancy may beckon at some point! If it does I'd love to do something completely different, maybe retrain to be a midwife if possible. Not sure if I'm too old though as I'm the wrong side of 40. May have to start a new thread at some point to see how many Omleteers have had a change of career and how they found it :think: .