I'm getting used to the Eglu very quickly. :D One thing that has struck me about the design, though, is the less-than-optimal positioning of the poo tray. Our chickens sleep cuddled together at the back of the Eglu. This means that lots of the poo tends to be at that end. And quite a bit tends to miss the tray proper and land on the handle section - which causes it to run out and land outside the Eglu. And that means that the clip and handle are pooey, which isn't nice when I want to clean it out!

Has anyone else found this, and has anyone any suggestions? The Eglu isn't especially tipped back, I don't think.

Same here - I just sprinkle the same on the roosting bars, tray and ledges, it all helps

(You soon learn to wear gloves :lol: )

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad to see it's not just me! I'm using Aubiose in the tray, so I could pile some onto the back, too, or use a sheet of paper. Good idea, that!

As to the design, I don't quite see why the top of the tray folds over as far as it does - it creates a pocket that serves no function AFAICS, while creating a problem. I guess that the idea is to make it easier to hold (with a wide handle) but the poo problem over-rides that, to me!

Still, it's a minor inconvenience compared with most chicken houses out there.

...As to the design, I don't quite see why the top of the tray folds over as far as it does - it creates a pocket that serves no function AFAICS, while creating a problem....

I wonder if it's to make it less "grabbable" for a fox. If it had no lip there it would only need to be sticking out a couple of mm to get hooked by a paw. The pocket takes away that vulnerability I think.... :D

But I know what you mean about the poo. Although mine make a mess turning the other way and, in mark one, miss the tray altogether with the mess going through the mesh under the Eglu, making it hard to clean. :roll:

Mine sleep at the back too but I don't have this problem :? I wonder if that's because I have a Mark I ??

I have a mark II but dont have the above problem Red.

one of my chickens sleeps in the nest box and the other sprawls out on the bars :D