alet_chicken

Chicken hypnosis

I was surprised to hear on QI on Saturday that it is rather easy to hypnotise a chicken by making them lie down on the ground and draw a line on the ground in front of their beak. (It's not really hypnosis, more of a defense mechanism, basically they are pretending to be dead.)

Has anybody heard of this/tried this?

Yes it would be great for getting the mud balls off my pekins feet! Mollie do they wake up if you start fiddling with their feathers?????

I've not tried it yet but apparently you hold them close to the ground with their heads facing forward

with one hand and with the other draw a straight line from their beak away from them and they should stay there.

There's another way of doing it too where you hold them off the ground (you standing)

lift their wing and tuck their head under it, then you hold out your arms and make circles about 15 times.

I'm going to try it tomorrow if it's not raining! Let you know how it goes.......!

P.s- It's not cruel is it? They don't mind?

Yes, let us know how it goes. I've watched a couple of videos of chicken hypnosis on Youtube (not linking because of impolite comments :roll: ), and none of the chickens look stressed to me.

I tried it on two of my girls yesterday, but they only gave me dirty looks and ran off... Guess I need more practice.

All the videos I've seen do it with the chicken on its front. (I've seen the chalk technique, a line drawn with a finger in the sand, a spiral around their head or even just stroking their chin feathers.) Molly, how do you manage to hypnotise them on their backs like that?

I tried it on two of my girls yesterday, but they only gave me dirty looks and ran off... Guess I need more practice.

Exactly why I haven't tried it :roll:

I can just see myself being out in the garden trying my best to make a chicken stay still and then it just flies away :( Can just imagine all the neighbours looking and laughing!!

Does anyone know if it's cruel? It seems quite cruel :(

(It's not really hypnosis, more of a defense mechanism, basically they are pretending to be dead.)

Why are they pretending to be dead? What do they think the drawn line is? And if they're pretending to be dead than I can't help but think it can't be very nice for them?

Although I don't know, of course. :whistle: It's just what popped into my head as I was reading... :wink:

Mine seem to go into a trance when dustbathing. The close their eyes when flipping themselves over and when they get all the dirt right into their feathers , they lie on their sides, half open their eyes and look like zombies for awhile. x My Faverolles hen takes half an hour to bath properly and wont come out of the greenhouse, it has a dirt floor which is dry. Even if I shake the treat tub at her, she ignores me. As soon as she is finished she gets up, shakes and is then back to normal. First time I saw it I thought there was something seriously wrong with them.