Kalu

Skyline......no eggs...

Hello,

We have a lovely skyline (The King, named after the car The King in Cars cartoon who, you guessed it, is blue!), we got her at the end of October, she laid a soft on Boxing Day but nothing since....is that normal, will she start laying soon? I am getting inpatient to see a !eggblue! in the box!

Thanks

K

You have to be patient. She proberbly started laying just at the time when everybody stops laying. She will lay again soon, and while everything is getting settled, you may get a few more softies. We have been very lucky with our six hybrids, they have carried on laying all through the winter months (it's a lot milder down here in winter) I have had four to six eggs each day, but I do feel very fortunate. Bless my little girls x :angel:

Hello :D

I realised this evening it has been over a year since i last posted on this topic and in that time we have had.....6 eggs from The King, our skyline. She seems happy, is eating well, had a very small moult and is now a big girl with lots of lovely feathers.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions how i can encourage her to lay, if she is ever going to lay again? The two girls she shares with are both laying regularly (more than i expected in this weather) but they don't seem to be inspiring her. :think:

Thank you,

We got our Valerie a Heritage Skyline in May last year, she started laying beautiful blue eggs in July, ahe laid about 10 eggs and then stopped, probably around September time. She then had a little tiny moult and is now a beautiful big full feathered girl, but she too shows no inclination to lay again. :roll:

I'm hoping when Spring gets here she may decide to grace our breakfast table with a couple of eggs now and then but I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

Hi

We obtained Wiggy, our skyline in September just gone. She didn't start laying until Decemeber and despite the recent colder weather to hit SE England this week she has being laying excellent medium sized blue-sheeled eggs almost everyday. Admittedly prior to her starting to lay her comb had been fully grown since the start of November.

I'm not sure if this would work for everyone but we started to add grit to the layers pellets and feed a little bit of cabbage most days. Whether it was coincidental that after this she started laying I don't know!

Conversely since the Skyline started laying, our Mrs Pepperpot, Olive has stopped laying. She is around 18 months old and has not laid since Dec 27th. But that's a story I will raise as a separate issue in this forum.

I hope you start getting a few more eggs once spring turns the corner.

We got our Valerie a Heritage Skyline in May last year, she started laying beautiful blue eggs in July, ahe laid about 10 eggs and then stopped, probably around September time. She then had a little tiny moult and is now a beautiful big full feathered girl, but she too shows no inclination to lay again. :roll:

I'm hoping when Spring gets here she may decide to grace our breakfast table with a couple of eggs now and then but I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

Hallelujah! Valerie laid a !eggblue! today first one for about 5 months! :dance:

My 2 year old skyline laid her first egg on Christmas Day 2021 (the best present!) and has continued throughout the year laying eggs about 76g, on average, around 6 a week. Recently though, she’s dropped to about 3 a week and they are massive - 80-91g - with the shells very malformed. On several occasions lately we’ve found broken eggs on the coop floor, as if the eggs were too big and burst their shells. The other skyline is still laying fine but has slowed down too. They both look really healthy (I think) and are active as ever. Any suggestions??

We have a similar problem with our hybrids, which are the same age. The amount of Calcium they can release to cover the eggs remains the same as it always was, so if the eggs get bigger the shells get thinner and so distort or break. There is nothing you can do except make the coop floor and the nesting box as soft as possible, to minimise the breakage. It does cause a bit of a mess I know and has to be cleaned up quickly before it goes 'off'.