tracyann

Whats the best advice you can give me....

I have a tub of mealworms that when I rattle they all come running which is really handy if I need to get them back into their run. I'd do something similar to this, i think some people use corn to rattle as well, just get them used to a sound to make free ranging easier :) Remember to post piccies! ;)

Not sure if you have already got houseing, in which case, ignore the first bit of this post!!

If not...I would advise really thinking about what housing you need/want. Also, think whether you are going to be strict with yourself and not get more hens in the future - which will mean you need a bigger coop! I would say buy a bigger coop and run than you need...then when you contract Morehens disease it won't cost you any more money!!

I would really read up about the housing and see what the pros and cons are of all the ones you are considering. Don't buy cheap, whatever you go for.

I have ended up spending a fortune on getting the wrong housing first, then having to replace it. I now have a cube which is brilliant and so easy to clean and maintain.

I just have hybrid hens which are lovely, friendly and good layers. I would also suggest getting a recommendation and going to visit.

Plenty of research! I have learned so much from this site! :D

I am still waiting to get my coop and run although they are ordered so haven't much to add. But the best advice I have had about choosing chickens is to go and see some different breeds. I have totally changed my mind about what I would like to keep since visiting breeders and seeing different breeds. Also get a good book. Choosing and keeping chickens by Chris Graham is a good one for beginners. At least I have found it very helpful and it has lots of information on different breeds.

Always aim to give your birds the maximum space you can. Some coops/runs will seriously overestimate the amount of birds that can be happily housed. Overcrowding is at the root of a lot of health/behavioural issues. Oh, and I second the get the biggest house/run you can fit in your garden, because we all started out saying 'Oh, I'll just get two or three hens for the eggs' :lol:

I agree with all the above advice. More space = happier hens.

Small and cheap is a false economy.

I'd suggest getting some diatomaceous earth - it is an excellent red mite/louse powder. You just need to sprinkle it about the hen house, ends of perches and put it in their nesting box and dustbath. Hopefully it should keep you mite free.

There are other powders out there - I just prefer one pot that does the lot rather than lots of different pots. :D

My best piece of advice to add to the excellent (eggcellent, groan..) advice above is get hens that lay different coloured eggs. I find it really useful to know which has laid and I love having the different colours.

We got four hens. We were going to get less but I think four is a really nice number to start with if you have the space.

I also think: go to a good breeder (one that is recommended). I hesitated because the breeder's hens were more expensive but they were kept in beautiful condition and from what I can gather from friends who also have hens, ours seem healthier and lay more. Probs just a coincidence but..