Ain't Nobody Here

Running Diary

Well done Bramble :clap: Running in the rain isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

I haven't been doing nearly as much running as I should be but I have been doing a fair amount of cycling as I am now cycling into work. The route that I go is about six miles and it takes me just under half an hour so not too bad.

I am off to play golf now so just did a 2.5 mile run this morning as I don't want to be too shattered for golf. I also have Boot Camp tonight so will sleep well!

Well done Bramble :clap: Running in the rain isn't as bad as I thought it would be!

I haven't been doing nearly as much running as I should be but I have been doing a fair amount of cycling as I am now cycling into work. The route that I go is about six miles and it takes me just under half an hour so not too bad.

I am off to play golf now so just did a 2.5 mile run this morning as I don't want to be too shattered for golf. I also have Boot Camp tonight so will sleep well!

:shock::shock::shock:

You mean you have TIME to go to work with all that activity!!! I'm massively impressed! Sounds like cycling to work is probably quicker than driving!!!

Didn't mind running in the rain at all, only problem was, I could really do with some windscreen wipers on my specs, couldn't see where I was going for most of the time!!!! :roll::wall:

Didn't mind running in the rain at all, only problem was, I could really do with some windscreen wipers on my specs, couldn't see where I was going for most of the time!!!! :roll::wall:

Yeah - I know that feeling!

Just got back from Boot Camp. For some reason the instructor decided that it was going to be mainly running :shock:

I was rubbish at golf but it was really windy so I am not going to beat myself up too much.

Week 3, Run 2 completed this morning :D

Worry I'm not going "fast enough" 'cos sometimes it feels like I'm going so slow I'm almost jogging on the spot :oops: , but I guess the most important thing is to keep going and not stop, I can build up pace when I've worked on stamina?

I guess the most important thing is to keep going and not stop, I can build up pace when I've worked on stamina?

Absolutely, although stopping isn't wrong - a form of training called "fartlek" involves doing bursts of differing speeds (not that I've ever done it :oops: ) so a combination of walking/running/jogging is certainly OK. Just do what you can and as you get better you'll be able to keep going longer or faster. The important thing is to try to make it enjoyable (if possible!) so don't make it too hard for yourself or you'll get disheartened.

Bear in mind that I have no idea what I'm talking about, really, it just sounds logical to me :lol: .

Very slow 3.5 miles this morning. Tendons hurting in left calf, hopefully won't develop into anything nasty. Which reminds me Bramble, remember to do your stretches. Really important. Have a lovely day folks, we're off to Aviemore later :D If my tendons recover I'll have a nice long slow run with Simon on Sunday morning. If not I'll have a long lie instead :lol:

I never managed a short one yesterday but I made up for it today with a 12 mile run :shock: . Took 2 hr 17 mins but it was half mostly downhill then half mostly uphill.

Wasn't really planning it, I went with a bus fare in my bumbag planning to run as far as I could then get a bus home as the last 3 miles is all uphill. However, I managed to slog up the hill and even take a longer way home for an extra mile :D .

I also conducted 2 experiments:

1) Have a glass of water before setting out. Not a good idea - I had to stop at a shopping centre for a wee after 4 miles :oops: .

2) Wear 2 pairs of socks to avoid blisters etc. Not a good idea - I took one off at 6 miles and the other at 8 as my toes went numb :roll: .

wow, 12 miles - impressive 8)8)

I went out on Thursday - took BIL's dog :shock:

I ran about 6.5 miles, Jack ran about 12 miles :lol:

I spent ages dragging Jack away from other dogs sticks (dont steal that stick jack - its not yours - you dropped yours!!) the sea (gosh - who would have guessed the second he was off his lead he would have ran straight into the sea :roll::lol: ) and my friends leg :shock: (i think he needs a little trip to the vet :lol: )

enjoyed it, but it took an hour and a half in total :lol:

oh, where do you get a bumbag from - i think i need one :D

cathy

x

Sounds much more fun than dodging the tourists in the centre of Edinburgh :lol: .

I've had my bumbag years - I think I got it at JJB Sports but had to adapt it as it had a stupid big water bottle holder thingy sticking out the front :roll: .

If you can get a slim one I reckon they're better - the larger ones would be a bit in the way and might bounce up and down (my stomach already does that, it doesn't need competition :lol: ).

This looks similar. I searched for "running bum bag" - there are loads 8) .

Vicki, that's awesome :mrgreen: Almost a half with 6mths training still to go, that's some going, well done. We're just back from Aviemore where Simon & I walked/jogged /ran (well in 30 second bursts) up this before breakfast. Craig Ellachie I think 491m.

100411-0906.jpg

100411-0906001c.jpg

and not wanting to be outdone here's Sparkysdad

100411-0907b.jpg

Between that and the trail biking I'm bushed and won't be doing anything for days.......................

Bramble you are doing amazingly - do not compare your achievements with other people - its wrong, everyone started at a different point, everyone will achieve a Personal Best for themselves.

Sparkeys Mum and dad - well done :D:D amazing view :D (good to see you too :D )

Vicky - tell you OH that his marathon is just slightly slower than my Half marathon - and im very impressed (and :mrgreen: and I want you to tie his legs together :lol::lol::lol: )

well done runners - i think we are quite amazing :clap::dance::clap::dance:

cathy

x

Oh 'eck, I've just downloaded the week 4 podcast :shock::shock: , don't think I've got a HOPE of being able to do it (run 1 is tomorrow morning). Even the podcast says "this is where it starts to get serious" :anxious::anxious::anxious: so I think I might be expelled from this thread tomorrow when I post notice of failure :(:(

PS. ANH, am I the only one who thinks your dog and hamster look very similar :lol:

Bramble, the only failure in anything is failing to try, so go girl go :D:D I remember so clearly my first "running" steps. I set out with a very fit friend who got me going on my first 5k. She timed my first run - 1 min 26 secs before I almost collapsed in a heap. I still have days when I can't do much more without stopping but I just keep going. I have loads of breaks but still do the miles.

Apart from being out in the fresh air, there is just so much to be gained from running - physically, mentally & spiritually too if that's your thing ( it is for me)

Stay with us gal, at least till your first 5k, your sense of achievement will be phenomenal. :D Alli xx

Bramble, I echo what the others have said :D . Never compare yourself with other runners (if I compared myself to OH I'd have given up years ago :lol: ).

When I started out (after a drunken promise to do the Race for Life :oops: ) I hadn't run a step ... ever. So I can totally sympathise with you. You are doing really, really well and will feel so brilliant when you manage your first 5k :D .

If it makes you all feel better, I'm having a bit of difficulty going down stairs today :lol: .