Ain't Nobody Here

Running Diary

Not sure how I feel about running really, certainly don't HATE it, but not sure I LOVE it either :eh: I just wish I didn't feel so self conscious about it, I'm already making sure I run early in the morning or late at night, not that it's dark, but there's not so many people about then, goodness knows what people must think, seeing a blob like me trying to run ... :(

Well, at least you're not hating it :lol: . It does get better - the more you run, the better you get and the more you enjoy it - you just have to get through that initial stage without giving up :) .

Try not to feel self-conscious - anyone seeing you will probably either be jealous or impressed :D . Consider what you think of when you see a runner - do you laugh at them? I bet you don't!

Well, at least you're not hating it :lol: . It does get better - the more you run, the better you get and the more you enjoy it - you just have to get through that initial stage without giving up :) .

Try not to feel self-conscious - anyone seeing you will probably either be jealous or impressed :D . Consider what you think of when you see a runner - do you laugh at them? I bet you don't!

Thank you, ANH for your words of encouragement. Yesterday was definitely easier than the day before. Trouble is, I'm not "a runner", I'm simply a blob (I must look like a weeble, wobbling down the road), definitely think I'll keep this current mission top secret for the foreseeable future!! :oops::oops::oops::roll::anxious:

Bramble, I can only echo everything ANH has said. The first few days & weeks are def the toughest. I remember my big "breakthrough" when I could run for 20 mins without stopping. A major celebration :!: To be honest I still take far too many walking breaks but what is more important for me is that I'm out there in the fresh air moving my limbs. I have taken part in events where I have came in second last by a long way but no one laughed

Keep going, you will get there. Even although its hard, it's better than not running at all. Oh and by the way I use the term running loosely. I shuffle along at just a bit quicker than walking. I remember very clearly the time when I was passed by a 72yr old playing the spoons :!: Absolutely true. He was raising funds for the British Heart Foundation and he left me standing. I could only gasp in admiration.

Keep going gal or I might have to tell you more embarrassing but true stories. :lol: Alli xx

Thank you ANH and Sparkysmum, think I need to get myself some trousers or something more suitable than what I have been wearing. Not going mad buying "all the kit", but think some jogging trousers or similar would be a good investment and will investigate the sports bra possibilities (can you still buy "whopper flopper stoppers"? :oops::roll::anxious::think: )

Definitely going to keep going and will keep posting here, just to make sure (next run not til Sunday, I don't think, not ideal but best I can do :roll: )

"whopper flopper stoppers"? :oops::roll::anxious::think: )

:lol::lol::lol:

Great phrase!!

Crucial piece of kit though!

I would echo what the others say and add perhaps one more thing:- even after you have made the breakthrough of going for however many minutes without stopping, there will be days when it doesn't seem to be so good. I am not sure whether it is time of the month or diet or, as Chucky Mama wisely suggested to me, dehydration.

Don't get discouraged if it is bad for a while, just keep at it - slowly and surely - it will get better!!

Excuse me for being repetitive but what are you on ANH :?: I thought it was a half marathon you were training for :?: Sounds like you're gonna break some records gal :!: I'm just going to have to go for it in the morning - my 7.5 mile circuit- don't usually do this till later in the year but at this rate I'm having more long lies than long runs :lol:

Well done everyone! Just done run 3 of couch 2 5k, it did feel fair bit harder than the 2nd run (although it was to the same podcast), but not as bad as the first time. Due to start week 2 on Tuesday, but in view of today's performance I might repeat week 1 :oops::roll::think:

Bramble well done you - I have just got a new rescue dog all of 45kg labrador - needs to lose 15 - has already lost 2 kg in 2 weeks so I am losing too by walking her and my legs off - I have not quite lost the 2kg in 2 weeks but have cut out all the rubbish! I could not run have a dodgy knee! I think its marvellous that you are managing to do this keep it up.

Congratulations on the new dog and well done on the weight loss, Blackrock 8) . Now if I could just cut out the rubbish, perhaps I could lose some weight too :oops: .

Due to start week 2 on Tuesday, but in view of today's performance I might repeat week 1 :oops::roll::think:

It's really common to have a rubbish day and think you're going backwards :( . Don't despair though, the next time will probably be easier :) . I would start Week 2, if I were you :wink: .

Maybe we could share a few suggestions. Motivational music is a must!! I know that we all have different tastes but it may be an idea to try a few new ones.

For me - I have a few hill work ones

I love to boogie T Rex

Hitchin a ride Green Day

Who's got a match Biffy Clyro

May think of a few more. Got to go now - I am forcing myself to cycle to work - it feels really early. I am hopeless for the week after the clocks go forward!

Just downloaded the week two couch 2 5k podcast, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!!!!

Just a daft question, when I go out I need to take my mp3 (which I just tuck into my waistband), but also need to take house keys and ideally I'd like to take my mobile, but where am I supposed to put all this stuff!? :shock: Jogging kit doesn't tend to have pockets and I know lots of you run with your mobiles, any tips, please?

Bum bag :D . Or should I say tum bag as I wear it on the front!

I have a very slim one (it doesn't match my tummy :oops: - although it does help to hide it :lol: ) which is perfect for a phone, hanky (my nose runs like a tap when I run :roll: ) and MP3 player. It had a ridiculous pocket thing for a large water bottle on it but I chopped that off and made it into an MP3 pocket instead :D .

I also bought a new pair of earphones for my MP3 player recently, which are really good 8) .

These are first few tracks I've put into my "race" folder (apologies for the cheesiness of some of them :wink: ): It's a work in progress!

Aerosmith - Dream On

Daniel Powter - Bad Day

Eagles - Heartache

Eagles - Peaceful Easy Feeling

Eminem - Sing for the Moment

Europe - The Final Countdown

Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill

Jace Everett - Bad Things (True Blood theme tune 8) )

K T Tunstall - Suddenly I See

Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine

Oasis - Little by Little

Robbie Williams - Angels

Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You

Sam Brown - Stop

Take That - Patience

Take That - Shine

The Monkees - Daydream Believer

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again

Zutons - Valerie

Discovered that Dire Straits - Walk of Life has a good running beat, as does Tom Petty - can't remember which track just now but am putting it onto my MP3 right now so will get back to you!

I have an arm band thing which I put my little radio/mp3 in. My keys go in a little pocket in my shorts/ronhills, and I'm afraid I stuff my phone in my bra :!::!: along with toilet paper, just in case :!: Gross I know but I can think of worse places to keep it :lol: Like some of your tunes Vicki, think I'll download some of them.When I've a bit more time I'll post some of my trax. Keep running, gals. Alli xx