KayandColin

Best ground covering for chicken runs

Hi, can anyone advise on the following as we are not entirely sure about the best form of covering for the hen's run, (3 hens ) at present we have some hardwood chippings down, as we read these would be ok but how often do these have to replaced ?

Also read about gravel as an alternative, kept chickens as a child and we never used either !

Thanks for any help suplied

I currently use hardwood chips and change mine about every 3 months. I don't do anything in between, the girls dig around in it so that keeps it well turned over. I haven't tried any other material in my WIR but there are lots of others around, I guess you find what you like and then stick with it. My run is covered, although it does get a bit wet if there's heavy rain, and I'm happy with the woodchip. Before I had a WIR I just had the eglu run, not covered except with a shower curtain, and used bark chips......big mistake in the rain because it turned into a heap of mush and went mouldy.

Is your run covered or not?

If not then bark chips are probably your best bet.

If it is covered however,then a horse bedding like Aubiose,Rapport,Bliss or one of the myriad of others will do a brilliant job.

I possibly have this wrong but I thought that you shouldn't use bark chippings as bedding due to the bark being harmful to the chooks.

Ian

hi i have a coop and run coverd thats ok.then an area of free ranging at top of garden.it is like a mud bath!! any ideas what i can put down did buy new turf in summer didnt last to mins!! i dont want them all over my garden as have a 3yr old boy.