Eggasperated

Washing Machines

Looks like I'm going to have to get a new washing machine, have been considering the BOSCH WAE28469 with a 7kg drum, is this big enough to wash a duvet?

Also the price seems to vary from £380 - £450 depending on shop and also with and without delivery charge. Has anybody used any of these on-line discount stores for large electrical goods (http://www.deals4u.co.uk/ or

http://www.electricshop.com/page/home/) , as I don't want to go for a cheap deal only to find the machine is damaged or doesn't work.

Any advice gratefully received.

I have just bought a new washer dryer. It's made by LG and has a direct drive motor. It's totally fantastic. John Lewis have a similar washing machine Clicky it can take a duvet, it might be more than you want to spend but mine is superb.

edited to make linky thingy work. d'oh!

Edited by Guest

We also have an LG, the 9kg direct drive steam one, it's not cheap but is fantastic and in our opinion well worth the extra, it takes a king size duvet and is very quiet.

The only down side is if you put all the bells and whistles on (i.e. steam, medic rinse, intensive) the cycle does take a long time, but you can fit so much in you are doing less loads each week so its not a problem. :D

Hadn't thought of a LG machine, sort of had Bosch stuck in my head, but they look very good. Am interested in the LG F1456QD which has similar spec to the Bosch I was looking at but is Direct Drive and probably a bit cheaper.

Might have to give up on the idea of washing my duvets as I would need a big machine for my King size ones and I only have a standard space in the kitchen.

Thanks for all the info.

We also have an LG, the 9kg direct drive steam one, it's not cheap but is fantastic and in our opinion well worth the extra, it takes a king size duvet and is very quiet.

The only down side is if you put all the bells and whistles on (i.e. steam, medic rinse, intensive) the cycle does take a long time, but you can fit so much in you are doing less loads each week so its not a problem. :D

We have this one , Great if you have lots of animals that use bedding, The tub rinse is a good feature too.

Re Bosch, my German made one is over twelve years old and still going strong but I have read that the new ones are inferior as now made in China. Not sure how true this is though. My machine of choice would be a Miele as they're designed for up to twenty years use.

I have a Candy GO184 or something....it's got a 8 kg drum, and is firly cheap and very reliable...I have had this one last year, after 14 years of my previousCandy. Not a popular brand, but I like mine. Big enough for a double duvet, and has a 32 minute quick wash, which is great for the childrens' things, when they aren't that grubby. Also has fuzzy logic, and weighs the washing and uses the correct mount of water....

I'd heard that LG weren't very reliable so I stayed away from their machines last time. Is this not the case?

I'd love not to have to take my KS duvet to the launderette for washing...but it IS a 15 tog, so may not fit even into the larger washers :(

I know they cover such a wide product range some things are going to be better than others (and their phones are not very good according to my daughter who has one)

This is my first LG machine so can't comment on its reliability. However I've had several LG phones and found them to be fine, no problems at all. Maybe your daughter's one was from a dodgy batch? OH approved the LG washer dryer as the LG direct drive machine was tested and recommended by the Gadget Show :roll:

My last machine was an LG and I had it 10 years with no faults ever until the day it died. It only gave up the ghost after being moved by some not too good removal men. I wanted another LG but was outvoted and told they weren't as reliable as othe brands. This was in october. We've already had a replacement as it died in jan

Another LG Direct Drive fan here. Love it.

My last one (a very cheap and basic Hotpoint) I'd had for years, and owed me nothing, but was as loud as they came. The LG DD system is so quiet it is wonderful. That and much quicker etc then my old one. Not had it very long (January sales!) but been very pleased.

Regarding some of the "alternative" suppliers, I would be careful. If there is anything wrong with the machine, you may find that you have to pay to get it back to the supplier for a refund - not cheap. Also, if you buy from one of the big names on the high street, they will often take away the old one, plumb in the new one for you, and check it's working before they leave. I know the plumbing isn't difficult, but still saves you having to crawl around trying to do it! This is why we bought from the high street.

I got a Miele and have never regretted it. I always thought machines just washed clothes (of course they all do) but what I mean is when I started washing clothes in the Miele they came out much much cleaner. Had mine about 5 years now and my Mum has had one for about 15.

I'm not sure what drum capacity mine is but I can fit a super king sized bed quilted bedspread in it (just).

I have the Hoover DST10146. It has a 10kg drum. I love it with an unreasoning passion. I bought it from a supplier who supplies graded appliances, so it has a guarantee for a year, and parts for 5 years. It was £300 from my supplier, but you can get it from various other places for around £550 not graded. It uses NO water practically, is cold water fill, has an A++ efficiency rating, a steam function and is incredibly speedy :)

I got a Miele and have never regretted it. I always thought machines just washed clothes (of course they all do) but what I mean is when I started washing clothes in the Miele they came out much much cleaner. Had mine about 5 years now and my Mum has had one for about 15.

I'm not sure what drum capacity mine is but I can fit a super king sized bed quilted bedspread in it (just).

It's good to hear, because we have a Miele tumble dryer and it's junk :( It was a recommended Which Best Buy, and has loads of bells and whistles that i never use)...but it has a basic design fault. It was clearly designed by someone who never did any washing ( notice how I avoided being sexist there :wink: ). The premise is that you wash clothes according to the type of material in them :roll: , whereas I can't believe I am in the minority when I say that I wash my clothes according to the colour they are...consequently, I use the 20 minutes warm air programme more than any other on the dial.....

I like the sound of the LG machine...we currently have an AEG which must be 15 years old and shakes the whole house when it is on!

Engineer has just made his second visit this pm and has finally found a loose wire somewhere in the machine so it is working again, however having discussed new machines with OH I think we are probably going to replace the machine very soon as this is its third breakdown in 18 months. Still really like the sound of the LG :) .