Henergy

Children & cleaning the coop......

Just a quick question - like lots of people I have numerous chicken books and they all seem to have different ideas on things !

I think I'm pretty clear on my cleaning routine - each morning I 'poo pick' in the nest box & roosting area and top up the bedding. Each weekend I'm going to do a proper bedding empty etc. My question might sound bit silly, but I am worried if I should allow the kids to help. One book advises gloves, overalls & face masks !!! Is this necessary ? Its made me feel a bit wary - yes obviously poo = handwashing, but do we need more precautions than that ?

I wear wellies - simply because of the presents the girls leave. I wash 'em off afterwards - simply because they get covered in hemcore. I use a glove because I don't want to pick up poo with my hands and then I wash my hands afterwards.

Unless you industrially farm poultry and go into sheds, a mask really is overkill. But I have seen farmers wearing them with lots of chickens....

I always wear wellies when i go outside in the garden, too many poos! At the moment, I wear gloves when I clean them out as it is cold (especially the water!), but in the summer I don't. There is usually an 'uuuggghhhhh' emitting from my mouth after i get some poo on my hands :vom: . I don't poo pick though, I just completely change everything :L

I don't see any problem with children helping. A good handwash and perhaps the use of one of those spray antibac handwash jobs would be good. The only concern I would have is if a child is asthmatic with the inevitable dust particles from feathers and bedding. Even then you could use a face mask.

i don't think it would do the kids anyharm, wish i could get my niece to help when she comes over shes too scared of the poop, mind you she is a lttle terror one time she spotted the mixed corn in the house took a load out when her mother was'nt watching her and threw it every where :x needless to say the chooks were very happy but it was way too much had to gather up most of it took ages, i was'nt very impressed at the time :lol: but what did get me mad was that her mother (my sister) said it wont' harm the chickens at all let them eat it all up don't waste it she's dne you a favour :shock::x not thinking of hen who has had impacted crop problems, on well :roll:

i let my 3 yr old help clean them out check for eggs. he even picks the hens up he loves it. the hens love him as soon as he goes out to play they are at the gate waiting for him.he wears wellies and his playing out cloths.i only clean them out once a fortnight. i change everything i dont poo pick should i??

It's against the dust (dander, bedding, powders etc), which as someone with asthma I can understand. I've also read about some chicken keepers having to give up with breathing difficulties after a life time of chicken keeping. It is a bit extreme, but it can happen.

Thanks everyone. I was starting to get a bit panicky when I read my books & wondered what I'd taken on !!! H&S going completely mad probably !

Anyway, trying to keep my 3 yr old away from poo will be an impossible task. Yesterday we sat in the netted area to get to know them a bit more and he managed to sit in a poo pile & then put his hand in a pile & then pick some up because he thought it was a spare raisin to feed to them !! :roll::lol::lol: