Reikiranf

Second class citizen

Well we (well, OH as I was at work) have had one saleman round whose quote more than halved after a couple of follow-up phone calls! We have another fairly local company coming on Friday and will be the same with them - no decisions on the day no matter how hard they try to sell!

So far the phone calls (we've had a few) have been deflected by telling them we simply do not have the money right now - but we're going to have to make a decision as we really need the work done!!!!

Will report on what happens

I don't have any intention of going with Everest, the doors & windows we currently have are Everest and on a fish scale they're carp :wink: it was installed a few years before we bought the house by the previous owners.

I wanted quotes from different companies to get an idea of service, products and prices as it's obviously moved on from the type we have, anyone who tries to give me the hard sell is out for starters as I think that quality products and companies sell themselves without having to try too hard.

Mummy hen we had our conservatory done about 15 years ago, the builder who did our rear extension got & installed us a 4x3m conservatory for less than a third of Everest lowest price and did us a free patio :D So you don't always have to use a double glazing company as builders often go directly to the manufacturers, I've asked friends for recommendations and when I get quotes for the side extension, I may ask the builders who they use and or recommend but I did want to get an idea of prices etc before choosing a company or speaking to a builder about it.

Ann the call that wound me up was last night, quite some time after you'd gone.

I inherited some Anglian windows when I bought this house 17 years ago, I don't know what possessed the to replace the wonderful hard wood sash windows with UPVC, but there you are. I still get calls from Anglian trying to sell me more/replacement windows :roll: What I'd really like is about £3k to replace the blinking things with hard wood sashes :D

I inherited some Anglian windows when I bought this house 17 years ago, I don't know what possessed the to replace the wonderful hard wood sash windows with UPVC, but there you are. I still get calls from Anglian trying to sell me more/replacement windows :roll: What I'd really like is about £3k to replace the blinking things with hard wood sashes :D

And I wonder if I could be talking about the same company :wink::?:

I had sofits and guttering redone last year. OH's contribution was to get a quote from a well known national supplier. Shocking quote :shock: and when I went through the detail they'd only included some of the work in the quote even though they were asked to quote for all :shock: If we'd gone ahead without checking the detail carefully we'd have found the full job cost much much more than we were expecting. After quotes from a couple more companies none of whom I could face actually giving an order to I remembered the OH of a forum member close to me does conservatories (but I'm not allowed to mention by name as that apparently breaks the rules of the forum) so pmed her to see if he did sofits and guttering as well.

Best decision we made, great work, lovely bloke, sensible price 8)

So if you cam't find a recommendation through this forum, go for small local company with local references you can talk to first.

We inherited Anglian windows :evil: and Anglian sales 'people' are contantly walking our area, cold calling. :twisted:

I'm afraid I am no longer polite to them :oops: I make sure that they leave my property very clear in their understanding of what I think of their products and their company. Doesn't stop them coming though :evil:

Go for a local company

Everest's slogan used to be "You only fit double glazing once, so fit the best Everest"

Which begs the question, why have they been phoning me for the last 25 years to see if I'm thinking of replacing it? In that time I've gone from being a teenager to a grandma :lol:

Well, we have just had the third salesman round who I didn't like at all. Unfortunately OH did and he's now got the job. OH can't see why I didn't like the man, though I do agree the product is good and the same company did work for his parents.

Not happy with the decision though - hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the backside.