Reikiranf

Second class citizen

Does anyone else get irritated by companies who's sales departments refuse to deal with women?

We are hoping to extend our house and want to replace the existing double glazed doors and windows that where here when we moved in and are nearly 30 years old, the company that installed them phoned to ask if they could give us a quote for new ones and I agreed and made an appointment, they then asked if my husband would be in when they called and I said no, told them that DH loses the will to live when salespeople are around, and that I make the decisions and I will be paying so if they were not prepared to deal with me then then they won't be getting my money :evil: The sales supervisor said he couldn't do that and so they would have to cancel the appointment :shock:

This isn't the first time this has happened either, when will these companies realise that we are not stupid little women and we are capable of making decisions.

Rant over and breathe. Sorry for moaning but I cannot abide discrimination in any form.

Their loss and yes I too have the same experience all the time... one reason why we will never have a BMW despite the fact it was a long term want of mine. They kept asking about DH, and even talked over me when he was with me, although I kept telling them it would be my car and DH wasn't interested and would not drive it.

I organise everything in our house, just the way it works, and it drives me insane that some companies will insist on asking for him even though I know it was me that contacted them in the first place. AOL were terrible and he had given them permission to talk to me and they denied it although I had stood next to him!!!

That is outrageous! What if you were a single woman - would they refuse to deal with you at all? I would do what Patricia says

Get your husband to make an appointment saying his wife won't be there and if they go ahead report them for discrimination :evil:

I've not come across anything like this before. My hubby usually deals with everything in our house, and I deal with the doctors regarding my daughters conditions. The only time we've needed to authorise any thing is for my hubby to be allowed to talk to the credit card people as it was in my name, but he wanted to talk to them to sort out something or other. Actually, the only time is when mechanics have phoned up when repairing or doing the MOT for our car/s as he's the driver.

I had a similar thing happen last week. A guy came to the door trying to make an appointment to discuss getting our roof tiles treated (for what, I'm not sure :? ). He insisted my OH had to be present :roll: . I said we weren't available on the times he suggested so he went away but came back with more times. I said we weren't both available at those times and he eventually gave up.

Like you I deal with all the household decisions/finances - OH leaves it all to me (he just earns the money :wink: ). I found it really patronising :evil: .

It's mad isn't it? You would think that in the current economic climate they'd be jumping through hoops to get our business.

Dh is more than happy for me to make the decisions as when he comes home from work he wants to relax and not be given the hard sell and have to suffer the comedy scripted phonecalls between the rep and his manager to get better discounts, I tell reps at the start that I will not be pressured into signing up for anything on the spot no matter how big the discount, perhaps that's the problem maybe I'm on a blacklist for not being a walkover :lol:

Thanks for all your replies, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one, I might write a letter of complaint though as I'd be interested to know if this is official company policy or one introduced by the local misogynists.

I agree with all the rants so far, however I think it is less an issue of gender and more an issue of with both of you there they can use all their so-called persuasion tactics as most couples will have a discussion jointly before they decide. If it is just one of you they will have to make two trips. As said earlier , these are the companies to avoid anyway as their prices are rip-off etc. I am surprised by the comment re BMW as when I bought my car last year, it was me who testdrove not OH as it was (and is) my car!! They were fine and directed questioning at me - I guess I am quite assertive, although my family call it bossy :lol:

Speaking from the other side of the fence.

Our sales techniques are pretty laid back - in fact we don't really sell at all,its more word of mouth.

But if we do need to make an appointment we generally prefer both of the home owners to be there as we have often found that we need to go back again to speak to the other party.

It makes sense - both own the house,so both are usually involved in decision making :?

Its a pain for us to have to go twice to relay the same info to each of the homeowners.

They aren't coming round as they won't deal with me on my own, which is funny really as they asked for me when they phoned, it was Everest.

We had the Trade window warehouse round on Monday and that guy was trying to give us the hard sell and was round for 2 hours, Kev can't stand salespeople and doesn't want to be involved when they come round, he's happy for me to make the decision as to which company we go with and he'll jointly sign the necessary paperwork with me when I decide.

Years ago we were gettting a quote for a conservatory and they insisted on us both being there, but that evening Kev got held up at work & the rep told me that he'd have to make another appt as he had to see both of us :shock: I asked him to measure up and give us a quote, so he supposedly measured but no quote ever arrived, we did get a conservatory but not from that company.

I find it hard to believe that companies are turning down thousands of pounds so they don't have to make two trips! Cinnamon, in our case the information would not have to be relayed again as I would pass the information on to DH, he really does not want to be involved.

We had people round from a very well known national company that have very appealling TV ads - OMG they were awful

Both hubby and I were in but hubby told him straight away that he wouldn't make a decision there and then and would think about it overnight (not unreasonable). The amount for a small (2.5m x 3m) conservatory was initially over £58k but with all the discounts that kept coming out of the woodwork, and the salesman phoning is manager to get additional discount the price came down to just over £14k, and they wanted a deposit there and then, by card, of £5,300.

The salesman was just too pushy and hubby didn't 'get the vibe' from the salesman and after 2½ hours hubby asked him to leave. Everyday for the next week after the initial appointment they would call with a further discount or offering additional fixings at no cost. Needless to say we didn't go ahead.

I still want my extension / conservatory - but have been a bit put off by this

But I'd be interested here how you get on - PM me if you want the name of the company

>>>> Edit - the company has been mentioned by others in this thread

Edited by Guest

Everest are terrible - pm on the way Reikiranf.

Look for a smaller local company who work on recommendations,if you can - you will be better off both money wise & window quality wise :D

A lot of the big companies quote way OTT prices at first, then if you get a cheaper quote (which you will!), they suddenly drop the price.

All well & good,but it does leave you with a sour taste in your mouth that they would (& do) overcharge by a huge amount.

The profiles of the windows are often bad too - we often go & re replace Everest windows......

Stick to small,local,recommended companies for better quality & service :D

I often get the same treatment, and being a single woman it really riles me - it is MY house, My money and My decision.

I work in a male dominated industry and the chaps i work with are fine, but visitors are less so. I once had a big hairy chap march into my office demanding to see the 'man in charge'... I told him that the man in charge was out with a client so he'd have to deal with the 'woman who knows what's going on' :roll: took him a while to get used to deferring to me.

A good few years ago I was car hunting, took Hubby with me (was then boyfriend). I found a car I liked and the salesman wondered over look at Hubby and said " Morning Sir nice little car would you like a test drive" Hubby put the man straight telling him it me that was buying the car not him.

The man then looks straight at my Hubby and said “Oh I'll get the keys for you to have a test drive anyway Sir as it will be you making the decisions"

Needless to say I walked out, telling the salesman on the way that it was me buy a car with my money and he had just lost commission on a £10'000 sale. Have a nice day.

He didn't look too happy.

Sage

I had a wonderful kitchen seller around years ago, and when I was single and living by myself. First she was insistant on determining that I was the only person in the house, and I wasn't lying and had a secret husband/partner that I was hiding under the stairs. She then applied the really hard sale. She was determined not to leave the house without a signed order and cheque. So thats what I gave her - and cancelled everything the next day and telling the company exactly why...

It was kind of fun wasting her time, choosing all the fittings and doors that I had no intention of having fitted!

But re Windows - agree with others, local small company so much better than large multi national. When I told a large company I wasn't going to go with them, he retorted "You obviously don't care about your safety then as a single woman" and put the phone down on me!

Look for a smaller local company who work on recommendations,if you can - you will be better off both money wise & window quality wise :D

Good advice

You are looking for a company WITHOUT a dedicated sales department

I used to work for a very small window company and the owner did the quoting etc... he was a poor boss but always straight in his dealings with customers and provided a good product at a good price because his business was mainly word of mouth and his reputation was everything

Just check that they have insurance backing if things go wrong or that they have been in business some years

Ask to see previous work - pics or even better a visit to a previous job

As you are spending a lot of money they should be falling over themselves to assist with quotes and designs. If they act like they are doing you a favour its time to walk away

Even better ...we are trying to sell our house at the mo and some potential buyers phoned up and (even though they know I am an accountant) simply asked to speak to my husband with a query about what council tax band the house is in - aaaarrrrggghhhh !

When I was free and single (the 1990s), I'd just returned from a 12 month contract as a field researcher in Africa, so had shipped a box of equipment and data sheets back to the UK where I was about to start a new job. Because the shipping costs were covered by my research grant, the box was shipped in my professional name, Dr *****. The delivery guys in the UK duly arrived at my door, to deliver said box, and refused point blank to hand it over because it was addressed to Dr **** and NOT his wife :shock: It took a lot of phone calls and time to sort it out - but even when they finally came back with my box one of them was daft enough to comment that I had exactly the same name and exactly the same signature as my husband :wall::wall::wall:

We had a national window company come to give a quote about converting our garage. The salesman was hideous and I really didn't like him but spent considerable time in his horrid company. (I can still see the greasy hair, moustache and limp wristed hand shake) :vom: We never received the quote he said he would send and I wasn't going to chase them as I didn't like him, that is when the trouble started...

The totally harrassed us into giving them another chance by continually ringing and catching DH in a weak moment. They then missed an appointment altogether, swore it was a misunderstanding and it was the next day, then their second salesman didn't attend as he broke down in his car. Each of these appointments entailed numerous phone calls to confirm check and re confirm it was ok. Even after we finally lost patience and said no more they continued to ring for weeks after offering to come for an appointment and couldn't understand our great annoyance. I was about to report them for harrassment!!

If only I could name and shame. :)