Bramble

Basal Body Temperature and Thyroid

Hello! Does anyone out there have any experience of using BBT to diagnose an underactive thyroid, please? :think: This is a long shot, but I am very confused and somewhat desperate, :?:(

so info on anyone else's experiences would be hugely helpful. Thanks in advance!!

See your GP, I wouldn't use google to diagnose medical conditions.

Oooh no, thanks Fred, I'm not relying on Google at all! Saw my GP yesterday and I ended up with more questions than answers, was just hoping someone with some first hand experience might be able to help!!

I thought you needed a blood test to diagnose and thyroid problem? I've had a few, taken by a nurse with the results back the next day.

Having had underactive thyroid symptoms for several years, which the blood tests have always denied, I'd be interested to hear about other ways to diagnose it. I'm fed up with being freezing, tired, forgetful and most of all, gaining weight for no apparant reason. :(

I thought you needed a blood test to diagnose and thyroid problem? I've had a few, taken by a nurse with the results back the next day.

Having had underactive thyroid symptoms for several years, which the blood tests have always denied, I'd be interested to hear about other ways to diagnose it. I'm fed up with being freezing, tired, forgetful and most of all, gaining weight for no apparant reason. :(

Hello Jools! That's exactly what I'm dealing with! Try the basal body temperature test http://www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/pages/diagnosis/barnes.htmlI'd be interested to hear how it comes out for you (sorry haven't posted the link properly, I don't think, but you should be able to cut and paste into your browser). I think its controversial, but I'm not sure how/why, hence my many and varied confusions!!

Just wondering how to talk to GP about it (something I find very difficult at the best of times).

Good luck!

Edited by Guest

Thank you for that Bramble, I'll have a proper look a bit later - I've got some sunshine out there to enjoy first :)

I've been pretty resigned to my predicament tbh, assuming it must be in my mind, or it's my age (though the blood tests show I'm not even pre-menapausal yet). I've learned to live with the freezing bit, which is worse if I'm still. I have blankets on me in my chair and I sleep in bed socks and with extra duvet(s) in bed and a hot water bottle whatever the weather. I fight the lethargy and have learned how to concentrate hard to avoid forgetting things - I used to have an amazing memory but now can only hold one thing at a time, so I make lots of lists. I weigh a stone more than I did 3/4 yrs ago and I eat less. It sounds very trivial compared to serious health problems, but if I could get it sorted, I'd love to.

Sorry. Moan over. :oops:

I really sympathise - the problem is that here (as opposed to in the US, I believe) thyroid medication can only be prescribed based on blood chemistry, not on symptoms. Some people will have a low level of thyroxine and 'qualify' for medication even though they have almost no symptoms - others will have all the symptoms, but not have a low enough blood chemistry to qualify.

I had early warning levels for about four years before I actually met the criteria to need replacement thyroid hormone - I celebrated when I got the letter from my GP, because I'd had very similar symptoms to yours, including weight gain, feeling cold, extremely tired, breaking nails etc. Within a week or so of taking the thyroxine I began to feel better, and it was only then that I realised just how tired I'd been feeling.

Sorry, that isn't much help to you, just wanted to say that you are not alone in this. I haven't heard of the basal body temperature thing, I would say keep plugging away at your GP, but as I understand it there are strict clinical guidelines on when they can prescribe thyroxine so s/he may not be able to help you in that respect.

Hazel, don't worry, I know exactly what you mean!!! Thank you for taking the time to post. :)

Jools, I'll be very interested to hear the outcome of your research, BBT is definitely very interesting, but it does seem to be controversial in the UK.

It does seem that doctors in the UK are wedded to the idea that there are normal levels rather than what is normal for you...I have suffered for years with symptoms that could point to problems with my thyroid, but the blood tests never support a diagnosis

that said I have found that cutting all sugar and wheat out of my diet makes me feel very much better, I'm very impressed with the Harcombe diet, which is basically food combining but relieves my symptoms no end...

I can sympathise too, I lived with syptoms for quite a few years before diagnosis. I have been on Levothyroxine 100mcg for over a year now and feel better than I have for years. I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago and have gradually worked up my dose until it stabalised.

Keep plugging away and getting blood tests, try asking also for a thyroid scan, mine is very nodular which aparently can account for early syptoms without low levels of TSH.

I was diagnosed during infertility investigations. I was 'subclinical' with only vague symptoms which I would put down to the shift work, except I knew I used to be cleverer/brighter than this... My TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels were within 'normal' range.

I felt so much better after being put onto only 25 microgrammes Levothyroxine.

The thing is, one Dr at the practice was happy to put me onto such a small dose, the other Dr said he wouldn't have bothered at those TSH levels. I have heard of someone whose Dr wouldn't treat her (despite obvious symptoms) until she got to 10 TSH measuring units (whatever they are) - current recommendations are between 1 and 3.

So, if you're not getting what you need from one Dr then try another. I found my 'younger' Dr is willing to try things, my 'older' Dr was perhaps not as up to date on the current recommended TSH levels.

I have slowly had my dose increased to 100mcg. I don't know about how basal body temp is affected - sorry.

P

Bumping this ancient thread to see how everyone else is doing with their symptoms and diagnosis?

I still have no idea if my thyroid is underactive (for me) but I have managed my symptoms away by taking my life by the scruff of the neck around 18 months ago. I stopped making excuses for myself and found a diet that worked for me - eating less, doing more and not indulging in a glass or three of wine in the evening. Guess what? I've slowly lost the equivalent of a sack of dog food and I'm back down to where I was nearly 20yrs ago now. My symptoms (restless legs, cold, lethargy etc etc) have reduced to the extent I rarely notice them any more. I wouldn't have believed it could make so much difference but am delighted it has.

Anyone else with news to share?

That sounds great Jools. Glad to hear that things are going so well.

I had the opposite problem - I had an over active thyroid which I tried to manage for 5 years with anti-thyroid medication. I finally gave in 2 years ago and agreed to have it removed - one of the better decisions I've made! My associated eye disease is now stable, I feel normal (whatever that is) and I have a brain again! I can't eat as much as I'd like (I used to be one of those annoying people who could eat anything, do no exercise and stay the same shape and size :cry: ) and I can no longer sing a note. But life without my thyroid is definitely better than it was with it :D

Hi Jools, I was only thinking about this thread the other day, great minds, eh!!!

Well, like you, I've managed to lose a shed load of weight, but only by eating starvation rations - living on soup! I'm absolutely FREEZING when I'm sitting still, but get quite warm when moving around, not sure if that's relevant or not. No diagnosis as such, but the weight loss is good!!!

Oooooh I really feel for you Bramble, it's horrible isn't it! I can't say I'm cured, just that my symptoms are much less extreme than they used to be, so I am actually sitting here at the kitchen table with a fleece throw wrapped around my legs - instead of a duvet!!! :lol: Have you had any luck with the doctor yet?

Minne, it's good to hear the other side too and that you're happy with your life changing decision. I used to work with someone who had an overactive thyroid and he was HYPER - I don't think he ever sat still!!

Well, I've discovered that being hypothyroid can lead to a poor immune system... says the person just finishing her 4th course of antibiotics this year. Hopefully this tonsillitis is gone now, don't need that back again, but upper respiratory infections seem to be my thing. Apparently I'm also prone to dry eyes, which explains some symptoms I've been noticing. All this has meant I'm on a stage 2 sickness monitoring period (and I'm currently off sick in the middle of it) which is stressful, and of course being stressed leads to a poor immune system response :roll:

Looks like I'll be asking for a desk job in the organisation :?

Thanks for reading, I've been sitting at home being sick and stewing over this for nearly a week now.

P