My cube is being delivered (by courier) tomorrow, and I'm quite excited at the prospect of building it up :D Has anyone else constructed theirs yet, and if so, did they take pictures? I have Johannes' number (and I'm taking bribes you know) in case I have any trouble, but it would be nice to see how some other people got on building it.

Hmmm...maybe its a good thing that I am not collecting the run converter and extension until after my holiday :wink:

Good luck - hope you have fun building it and that the chickens love it!

(Will be in touch early June)

Am so :mrgreen: (but is it because you have Johannes' number or because you are getting your cube????)

Maybe someone should have videoed Johannes putting the cube together.

I would watch it (& I haven't even got one on order )

There you go Buffie - fundraising idea - film Johannes when he sets up your cube and sell copies - all proceeds to the BHWT :roll:

Right. I did it, it took an hour and a half or so and a certain amount blood, sweat and swearing. The cube itself is a doodle to put together, although a certain amount of brawn (which I have) was very useful. The run was a total total nightmare, and I haven't even got the extension on (which the courier neglected to bring :roll: ). It was horrible. I don't like the clips anyway because my fingers get sore, but by the end of building the cube and collapsing the eglu my fingers were literally bleeding in a couple of places. Getting it to fit in some places was horrific, not helped by my lumpy garden, and Mr Rubber Mallett and Mr Club Hammer were brought into play a couple of times to help it along. I think if I were building it again, I might attach the sections in a different order, but essentially it is just tricky. On the plus side, the main body of the run (ie anything not attaching to the cube) is SO much easier to put together than the extensions on the original omlet run, so hopefully when my extension reappears from the ether, it won't take too long.

It's a hit with me and the chickens. By the time we moved it into place half the girls had already got into it (well it was past their bedtime) . We lifted our limpy girl into the cube, and I had to shov her out of it this morning, but I think she'll manage fine. Coming out this morning seemed to involve the chickens using the ladder as a slide rather than hopping down. it was very cute. I wish there was a handle on the lid though, as I spent half the night pushing it back, cooing and saying how much room they had now, and then struggling to get it closed again.

The instructions are fine, I have a couple of suggestions for the boys which I'll stick in an email at some point. I had a grub and glug delivered, so I'm assuming still no feeders and drinkers available. I tried to take photos, but I think my camera is dead :( I'll try again tonight, but if not, I'll buy a new one. :)

Fantastic customer service as ever from Omlet, called up to check on my extension and within five minutes, James had called back to tell me they would send out another one next day delivery (the couriers put mine on the wrong van :roll: ). They really are so lovely at Omlet.

Quick tip on the cleaning your old eglu out for the happy new owners, I unscrewed the front bit from the base so that I had two flat sections for easier transport, and managed to clean it much more to my satisfaction. I could never get the bits out of the join between the base and the door sections, and it was soo satisfying to get it apart and scrub it clean.

aunty e - do you need a job.... giving Johannes a hand with all those deliveries he has yet to make?

Glad to hear that you managed it OK (I hate the run clips too they do make your fingers sore) and that the chickens already feel at home.

That would be SO much fun! I would love to deliver eglus and see people's happy faces :D And I do quite enjoy building things....

I have your extensions all jet sprayed down and ready to go for when you want them. I have a nasty, suspicious mind, so the extensions and the runs and the eglu are bicycle locked together and attached to a VERY sturdy bit of the barbecue in case anyone fancies a free eglu. :twisted:

Lovely courier dropped off my extension ove the back fence, so it was all waiting for me when I got home! Didn't take all that long to put together, and would have been easier with two, but they have so much more room now :) stoopid Kitty is walking up and down the end of the run under the cube, looking for the door to the eglu. Not looking forward to crawling in to get her. Again. :roll:

Well done. So impressed with your expertise in building the cube. I assume there is no chance the chickens can get on top of it? Mine love sitting on the top of the eglu run and the two latest ones roost there now in the evenings and I have to pop them into the eglu :roll: Not the safest place for them although I do have a high fence round the run. They love being 'up' so I hope they will love going up into the cube when I get it.

They can if they use the compost bin as a launching pad, but only my calder range, and I've never clipped their wings so they can fly pretty well. I don't think they could get there from the ground, it's as tall as I am practically!

An hour and a half Aunty E with your super talents :lol::lol:

I best make a packed lunch when mine comes then - and book the day off from my allotment for doing it.

I must say that I did find the Eglu and run a doddle to make up when it arrived.

And I am so pleased that I don't have to do battle with those plastic clips :roll:

If I get in too much of a pickle it won't matter as I am keeping my green Eglu 'house' for the banties, until my newbies settle in - so no pressure.

I am the one in the home that does all the DIY sort of things - always have - and dearest hubs loads the dishwasher and does the jobs I hate so it works well.

Will I need a another pair of willing (or unwilling) hands to be on call? With the lifting etc?

Does it come with phillips screws? I might need to buy a screwdriver - a very close male of mine, has a tendency to mangle them when they get used for all sorts of things :roll:

Looking forward to seeing the photos.

In the instruction book, does it have step by step photos? Just wondering- no big deal if I have dust my reading specs and sit down with a drink reading the destructions first :lol::lol:

I used a flat-head the whole way through, as the screws are cross head, but very big. I would have appreciated someone to help me and had to use a bit more brawn sometimes than I would ideally have liked. Some of the bits are heavy and if your back is fragile, you should have someone do the lifting for you. Once the lid is on, it's a doodle to move back and forth, but getting it up there might be a problem.

The instructions are step-by-step, and very good, although some of the diagrams could have been clearer. If you haven't got the run to struggle with, I think it'll take about half an hour or so. Omlet rang this morning to check the extension had arrived and asked how long it took to put up, apparently I take about the same time as an omlet driver :D

Oh I say - AuntyE - well done you. See what I mean - a well organised woman is no match for a highly trained man :wink::wink:

Is that a glove I see thrown on the floor for a challenge :lol:

I am a wrinkled old lady with a bad back and everything - but I am up for it :lol::lol:

I can see an 'It's a Knockout' thread coming somewhere near here soon :wink:

I was just saying to Olly that I wish there was a support for the extension to the run, as it bowed a bit where the run and the extension join on the cube as it's so tall. What's waiting for me when I get home, but a lovely metal support, exactly as I described to Olly! Blimey those boys is good. Anyway, it was a bit dark for my camera, so here are some rubbish piccies, I'll take better ones later!

Dilly.jpg

Cube3.jpgCube2.jpgCube1.jpg