52fish

Any experience of keeping Sussex?

I have a buff Sussex part of a mixed flock of 2 Dorkings and a buff Orpington hen. They are loved and watched over by Baggins the buff Orpington cockerel. She is the smallest of the flock and is Baggins best girl! She is friendly and a super bird

I have a Light Sussex mixed in with 3 bantams (1 Australorp and 2 Buff Rocks). She is very docile and an absolute darling :D and in spite of being head hen, watches out for the bantams who snuggle under her fluffy pantaloons during cold nights in the winter. She is a superb egg-layer and is such a comical character that she makes me laugh every day :lol: .

The Sussex is a great breed: hardy, calm and will tolerate being confined. My Light Sussex is smaller than a lot of them I have seen, but that's because my Speckled Sussex ate all the pies! She is enormous and something of a nazi - but it seems that she is not typical. We just have an odd girl. They are both really professional egg-layers.

Dropped off our 3 chickens for their holiday, picked out the Sussex who went straight in with our 3 and they all managed to get on with life without a fuss - no pecking - they just ignored each other and went off exploring. All 4 will return on Sunday :P