Ziggy

Marmite coming home today!!

Hi all,

Today is the day our rescue rabbit is coming home!!

I'm quite excited really, we've had rescue cats before, but not rescue bunnies. He'll be (hopefully, in time) bonded with our doe, who could really do with some bunny company... We have two other does living together, and seeing them snuggle together is such a lovely sight. We hope that Marmite and Socks will end up together and keep each other company. Maybe we should rename Socks, and call her 'Toast'? :P

Marmite has had a hard couple of months. He was given up to the rescue by a family with teenage kids, because he is not a very cuddly bunny and the kids got terrified when trying to hold him. The rescue lady seems to have done a good job with him, getting him used to being picked up, and calming him down a bit. We were about to go and pick him up two weeks ago, when she took him to the vet to check a sore on his foot, and he had to have surgery, getting a toe removed, as the vet thought if it wasn't done, he'd get recurrent sores and infection on it. He then was on medication, and had to wear a collar so he wouldn't bite at the wound. The collar came off on Wednesday, and the healing seems to have gone well, so we can go and pick him up this afternoon.

He is mostly white with black ears and some black around his eyes... DD2 found him on the rabbit rehome website, when looking for a companion for Socks. She wanted a white rabbit, as she lost her little white Netherlands Dwarf unexpectedly when she was only 6 months old...

Can't wait to meet him...

Edited to add : yes, of course, both Socks and Marmite are neutered!!

Here he is!!! He is a lovely little sweetie, tamer than I thought he would be, and absolutely gorgeous. Right now he's chilling out in his new home, and looking rather pleased with himself.

Here are some pictures of him :

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg

IMG_9412.jpg

The forstering lady was very lovely. She has 30 bunnies in her care at the moment!! I was surprised to hear that Marmite had been with her for several months... she says many bunnies are given to the rescue when they are less than a year old... quite heartbreaking really...

Welcome to your new family, little Marmite...

'Frosties' is a brilliant name... :D

My daughter (who is coeliac and has to avoid wheat) is very partial to rice noodles for breakfast, whereas I am extremely keen on savoury spinach curry as my first meal of the day... so thinking of naming next pets as 'pad thai' and 'sag aloo'...

As an update on Socks and Marmite, it went well for a while, we got them to freerange together and they showed a gentle healthy interest in each other, and walked away from each other and groomed themselves and it all looked very promising... then one day they just had a big fight and frightened the hell out of me... we're working on gentle introductions again...

To be honest, I think I'm too cautious... even Peppa and Twinkle, who have live happily together for ages, have the occasional argument... it's just that bunny fights are so intense... I'm not sure if I'm hindering their honeymoon by being too careful, or right in separating them swiftly... I've seen chooks, cats, and all kinds of fights, and have seen rabbits argue... but somehow rabbits arguing are more extreme... if I see fur fly, I think it's too much...