We had the smallest Biorb a few years ago and it was a brilliant little starter tank for daughter number 2 and very easy to set up for tropical fish. She mainly had tetras in there and a Siamese Fighter too. The only problems she had was that it was difficult cleaning the inside of the tank if there was any algae due to the curved plastic.

As long as you don't mind just keeping a few tiny fish it's great. My daughter was bitten by the fish keeping bug though and now has a 32 litre tropical tank in her bedroom and a 120 litre tropical tank in the living room :lol:

I have a Biube, same company but its more of a cylinder than orb. There are many pros and cons.

Pros

Look good

Easy to maintain

Can see the whole tank so see more of the fish

Stylish

Cons

They rarely look like the advert because you can't have the water level to the top, only 2 thirds full for more surface area for air and so less water for fish = less fish

Expensive service packs (filter needs replacing 4- 8 weeks depending on how many fish)

Too small to have many fish. In a 30 litre size we had 5 tetras and one small shark (a minnow not really a shark) and then we moved the tetras and put in a 'beta' fighting fish (beautiful)

Lots of algae growth as so much light gets in

I got mine second-hand and would have been unhappy paying full price and have all the maintenance costs

Recommendation - its OK

The service packs are expensive, but on the recommendation of someone who worked for them at the time (we used to pop into the Norfolk offices for supplies) I extended the life of them by rinsing out the sponges and replacing the carbon in the plastic filter cartridge. :D

I did that too

I loved mine, it was the large size one and was fab

We almost got one a few weeks ago but after having done a bit of research decided that the cost of replacing the filter every 6 weeks or so was too much - over £6 a time. Also, went into a "traditional" tropical fish shop and the manager said that he hated all biorb tanks and wouldn't have them in the shop as the filter/filtration system wasn't good in his opinion.

We ended up getting a normal tank with rounded corners and a silver top which is just as pretty (and a 1/3rd of the cost- £80 for the same size as the £199 biorb) and the filter sponges just need rinsing out each week at no cost at all. We have put plants and natural log things in ours and it looks lovely.

I would stress that I have no personal experience of the tanks, just did a lot of internet research and took advice.

Currently still in the "cycling" process of our tank - should be able to put more fish in after another week or so. Getting quite addicted

The service packs are expensive, but on the recommendation of someone who worked for them at the time (we used to pop into the Norfolk offices for supplies) I extended the life of them by rinsing out the sponges and replacing the carbon in the plastic filter cartridge. :D

I did that too

I loved mine, it was the large size one and was fab

Same as mine was. I got it cheaply as it was ex-display and very slightly scratched. Had it for years, but moved on from fish keeping so MartinB had it.

Thank you all for your replies, the feeling seemed to be positive so we have bought one.

Not new from ebay, it is a 30l one, it is in excellent condition we are very happy with it except for one thing, it was advertised as having a heater so we bid more but when we collected it and got it home no heater, the seller says sorry he got in a muddle when he wrote the advert and there is no heater. Feel a bit cross as we bid more because it had a heater. He has offered us a refund but it is in such good condition I am temped to keep it, any thoughts from experienced ebayers.

Chrissie

Our Biorb has come out of retirement :dance: At the cost of £50 :roll: Molly noticed on Saturday night that in her 120l tank there were two tiny baby fish. We think they're baby Mollies. She's had babies before in a different tank and eventually they all died so this time Molly asked if she could set up the empty Biorb for them to give them a chance. Only problem was it didn't have a heater, filter cartridge or gravel/stones. Not having time to wait for cheaper Ebay purchases we went out yesterday to buy all the bits she needed, some filter start and some baby fish food. £50! £50 :shock: OMG! Imagine how many fish she could've bought for that!?!?

Molly is Ebaying everything not tied down in her bedroom :lol: She's already raised a tenner by selling some reef paste she won in a competition. I've just subscribed to Practical Fishkeeping magazine for her and that came with loads of freebies so she's going to Ebay some of that too.

I told the guy in the shop I'd be sooooooo cross if these baby fish die now!

The 30l biorb we bought has now been given to DS for his birthday as it was something he and his girlfriend wanted for their flat but could not afford.

OH liked the look of the biorb so we have now bought a 60l one, also from ebay.

We have filled it with water, the instructions say leave it for 24 hours and then add a few fish. This seems a very short time, what do you all think?

Any suggestions for some hardy tropical fish to start it off.

Thanks

Chrissie

We started our tank about 6 weeks ago with 3 tiger striped Danios as the fish shop told us they were pretty hardy. We filled the tank and added the de-chlorinator stuff, left it 3 days and then added the fish.

The tank will then go through the cycling process which is basically building up enough of the good bacteria to get rid of the bad bacteria, ie fish waste. This can take anything from 1-6 weeks. The fish you start with will basically be swimming through poison for a while which is ok as they will cope with it but if you try to introduce new fish they will die.

A good fish shop will test your water for nothing to make sure that the cycling process is complete (we have now bought our own test kits) which means that the nitrites should be at zero. You can then gradually add new fish. We have left it 10 days or so between each addition, testing the water first.

We now have 3 danios, 3 gold barbs & 6 neons swimming around happily

Sorry if you know all this already. We are new to it and have done a lot of research and find it all quite interesting so will happily bore anyone who asks!

It's 40 litres, so yours is a lot bigger. The secret I think is to find a really good retailer (not a huge chain). Our one is brilliant and have given us all of the advice as to what fish to buy for beginners and what to do. They give a 48 hour guarantee on the fish as well (you have to take a water sample in with any fatalities so it can't be down to your water being bad!)

We do a 1/4 tank water change each week and wipe the inside of the tank with a sponge. You take out the water you are going to change, wash out the filter in that water (not sure if you wash biorb filters tho), then replace the water with fresh tap water to which you add a couple of de-chlorinator drops so very little upkeep. The tank has stayed beautifully clear.

As yours is bigger I guess you could start with more fish - maybe 5 or 6 of the same species. When you start you feed them very little as this also pollutes the tank - enough for them to clear in 10 seconds. We were giving the 3 fish one flake between them daily. We also have natural plants in the tank which helps the water. The danios are supposed to be one of the most hardy fish. Pretty enough but not that striking which is why we added the gold barbs next which are lovely. To my mind we now have enough for the tank even though the shop said we could fit up to 15 fish in it.

You also need to consider whether the fish are shoaling ones or if they are happy on their own which again should be advised to you by the shop. Our 6 little neons are definitely shoaling fish and they swim around in a gang.

I think there are a few branches of the shop - it's called Fishey Business - but I guess it depends on the individual staff in there as to how good it is.

Thank you for the replies.

We have found a very knowledgeable local shop, the lady was very helpful and we have got 6 little cherry barbs, she has said in two weeks time if all is well to add some more fish then.

I'm not sure I like the Biorb with fish in, I look for them and to count them :oops: and it is very hard to see all the fish at the same time, they "hide in the curves" :D

Chrissie

I have a biorb and a biube, not being used - purple you could have had one of mine!! i have about 8 service kits and all my decos (2 bags full!!!) are all offical reef one products, bags of the ceramic media and pebbles and mine has a heater :lol: anyway, yes they are good, i rinsed the sponge out 2, although i did buy in bulk, fish keeping was a bit of a fad for us, we had the biube in the bedroom, it was gorgeous and relaxing, and then the biorb in the living room, lovely too, but when all the fish died we had just got the girls and we decided the hens and mill were enough and never thought about it again, until i read this thread!

Gosh, looking at them on the website and the prices for the stuff has gone up so much! the algae cleaner £9 something!! i have one of those stored away! i think i need to dig out all the accessories and start making some pennies!!! looking back now i cant believe i bought all the "official" stuff Why did i do that? :doh:

Edited by Guest

I'd stick it on ebay if I were you.

I used to get my supplies directly from Reef One near Norwich when we were up there, just used to pop in and they'd give me a discount. Got to see the BiUbe when it was still in testing stage and was impressed.

If you want an easy starter type of aquarium, then this is a good one; it's easy to maintain and looks good too 8)