LolaLayla

Can dogs get diseases from chickens?

I was talking to a dog breeder, who said they would not sell a puppy to anyone who kept chickens. Apparently they had heard of someones puppy getting a disease (not specified) from chickens which resulted in its death. Has anyone heard of anything similar? I am aware that worms could be an issue but this sounded like something more serious.

Nope, first I heard of it and I have done some extensive research and had discussions with my vet and this has never come up as an issue. Maybe you could ask him to be more specific.

I thought that general rule is that what is infectious in one species is not in another, the crossovers are well documented like Avian flu affecting humans and s"Ooops, word censored!"ey (? spelling) in sheep going over to cattle causing mad cow disease then affecting humans. I'd have thought that anything from poultry affecting dogs would be well known.

All I can say is that if a puppy is healthy and not taken from his mum too early, (so he gets immunity through her milk) and is then protected from the well known dsieases like distemper by not coming in contact with possible carriers ie not going to parks until after he has had his second vaccines he should be fine.

My doggie is 2 and a bit and eats chicken (as well as other animal) poo and has never taken a day off from tail-wagging in his life :lol:

I decided to ask my vet. She said that dogs can get infections from all sorts eg other animals poo, when out and about. However she thought there was not a problem as a lot of people have chickens and dogs without any difficulty. Maybe just a very picky breeder who wants the perfect home for the pups. Which is obviously one without chickens :(

Seems a bit strange especially as most farms have dogs and the place where we got our chickens have two dogs running around all the time and they come into contact with hundreds of chickens and have no ill effects. Also dogs come into contact with lots of types of poo and when out and about in the woods and fields.

My dog has a regular diet of chicken poo, chicken food, chicken water, tortoise cucumber and salad leaves and the odd bag of stolen granary bread mix. She has never looked better although you wouldn't necessary want a sloppy kiss off her :lol:

Would this by any chance be the same dog that ate the contents of a red top fly trap? :vom::lol:

My dog has a regular diet of chicken poo, chicken food, chicken water, tortoise cucumber and salad leaves and the odd bag of stolen granary bread mix. She has never looked better although you wouldn't necessary want a sloppy kiss off her :lol:

Would this by any chance be the same dog that ate the contents of a red top fly trap? :vom::lol:

yep, that's her

rainbow.jpg

I think your breeder is thinking of Campylobacter which is common and Salmonella which isn't; but I don't think either diseases are a concern in a small spoilt pet flock.

I reckon it must have been something like that. However the dog who died could have got that while out walking. Maybe the breeder just has some odd ideas :lol: Frankly I am sure my 2 girls are less dangerous to a dog than a lot of stuff in the average garden....at present there are some lovely toadstools/mushrooms in my veg patch which could be lethal and my wildlife pond must be teeming with bacteria!