Julia W

Do chickens eat frogs/toads

Hi there,

just went up to collect the eggs and say hello to my girls and saw Alma running around the run with the others chasing her, I saw she had something hanging out of her mouth and on closer inspection found it was a frog or a toad, not sure which is which. She has now taken it behind one of the little sheds I have in there and is pecking at it but hasn't broken the skin. The frog/toad is dead by the way but she hasn't piered the skin or anything, I am wondering if she is just playing with it or is she going to eat it and if she does will it do her any harm? Any ideas out there please? I think I shall go up and remove it from the run anyway just in case, if you all say it's ok then I'll put it back as it's already dead.

Did you take it away from them because it's dangerous for them to have it or just because you didn't like the idea of them palying with it? If it amuses them and is not dangerous I'm willing to put it back for them to play with but don't want to cause them any harm.

oh thank you all so much for this. I've been up and given the frog back to them, it's so comical seeing them all chase each other around the run and stealing it away from each other. Stood and watched for a while but so far they haven't manage to eat it, it will be interesting if I can find it tomorrow when I go up and see them.

Thanks again, knew I could rely on all of you to help me out.

Thanks squiffs for the link, it was very interesting to read.

One of my hens, a Light Sussex has become almost obsessed with catching and eating frogs. The squealing noise that the poor frog makes is unbearable, and I have to shoot out and de-frog Patty. The trouble is she is eating a fair few, and has had green poo today and yesterday , like emerald green toothpaste! I've kept them in the pen today, just in case they frogs might upset her system....She's already off laying, had a few softies....this isn't helping I'm sure!

( and I'm a bit upset about the loss of frogs...she gobbles the babies down whole, blech!)