Millie-Annie

Horrible thing to happen

Something really horrible has just happened and I am distraught. I had my girls out roaming round the garden, it is so lovely to watch them enjoying their freedom. They trot around and every so often run back to their run, but then pop out again. I never leave them unattended though. We were all out there and I was just thinking how nice it was that they were getting so confident around us, and not racing away. For some reason Meg let my son get really close, I shouted mind, he went to step over her and somehow she went the same way and he stood on her. She ran back to the run, I picked her up and ran indoors with her. He was shouting I'm sorry, I'm sorry, can I kiss her better and I wrapped her in a towel and she died in my arms.

I am just stunned and feel so sick. My son was really upset so I had to pretend she was fine and put her back in the hutch with Matilda. My husband dug me a hole and I have just buried her.

I can't believe it. It is horrible to lose one, but that was so so horrible and such a shock. It just keeps going round and round in my head, why didn't I put them away, they are too small to be round feet, it is my fault.

Oh your poor son, I take it he is quite little. I accidentally stood on a baby guinea pig when I was 5 and was racked with guilt for ever such a long time, I couldn't get over that I had killed something. I can still remember it all quite clearly, you will need to talk to him and explain you know it was an accident.

Unfortunately for poor Meg he isn't little he is 20 although he is a light weight 20. But he has special needs and is more like a 5 year old. Usually though as soon as you get near them they race back to their house, so I have no idea why for that one tragic time she stood still and moved to little to late.

I just wish I had thought big feet, little pigs, bad idea but I was just saying isn't it nice they are part of the family and not terrified of their own shadows like my friends are. Even now, I wouldn't change that, she was a lovely friendly cuddly girl.

Run Free Gorgeous Meggie, I am so so sorry

My son has gone back to his home now. But he was upset and kept asking to kiss her better and stroke her so I had to let him. I don't think he realised she was dead, but I have just rung his home and they said he is talking about what happened and he is sad. So I feel guilty about that too, I wish I had been able to be less emotional and not panic and get upset.

Thank you for your lovely supportive messages xxx

Thank you xx. I spoke to my son's home and they said he talked about it a lot on Sunday night, but he seemed fine yesterday. I took Matilda pig to choose a new friend, as I just hate to see one piggie. I know some live happily alone, but her and Meg were such lovely friends, I think she deserves to have a new friend. It is really hard, as whenever I have lost one before they have been either old or ill, so I have been semi prepared. I only had Matilda in October when Maurice pig died and thought I had years before I had to go through it all again. Baby pigs are cute, but I love it when they are older and sensible and come to you for food and don't act like you are about to eat them :roll: I know though to get the best out of her I have to put the love in, so I shall do and I know she will wheedle her way into my heart eventually.

Thank you again for your kind words, they meant an awful lot xxxx