beach chick

My poor Ozzie seriously ill

I've never really thought of there having to be doggy blood donors :shock: . Well done to the nurse's mum's doggy 8) .

http://www.petbloodbankuk.org/

A couple of people I know have doggy blood donors. I briefly considered it but my dog wouldn't be suitable as they understandably need to be of calm nature and he has always been a wuss at the vets since he came to live with us.

things are looking better... :):pray:

just had the vet on the phone. they've done the procedure and found a stomach ulcer - either caused by a laceration from the bone, or an allergic reaction to something else he's scavenged; they've taken some pinch biopsies but wont analyse them unless it seems necessary because his condition deteriorates now or in the future.

the piece of bone itself they saw on the x-ray has moved to the colon and is now much smaller (stomach acids dissove bone). he's on acid-blocking drugs to soothe the ulcer and some other drug (licenced for humans not animals) which acts as a 'bandage' on the ulcer. red blood count has risen from 17 to 20 per cent, so he's still pretty anaemic but indications are that his bone marrow is starting to do the job. blood transfusion wasnt needed as they didnt do a surgical procedure, just the gastroscopy.

he'll stay at the vets til Monday or Tuesday while they monitor him etc. I could go and visit him, but he's such a mummy's boy he will think he's coming home with me so I'm not going to... think it would be more upsetting than useful for him - tho I cant wait to see him. the vet said everyone loves him and he is getting masses of attention whenever he wants :lol: (actually he is truly adorable - I get people I dont know coming up to me saying they call him 'the smiling dog' because he's such a happy chappy!)

feel a lot better now, everything crossed he continues to improve.

Glad to hear he's improving - who'd have thought such a tiny bit of bone could cause problems?

Re the blood donor; a few years ago I was at the vet's with my cat, when a pretty tabby-cat appeared on the fire-escape outside the window. The vet explained that she'd been brought in for an operation, but never collected by her owners, so she now lived at the practice. 'Aahhh, how lovely' I thought. Then he added '... and she comes in handy for blood donations, too'! :shock:

That's fabulous news, I'm so relieved for you (and Ozzie!) :D .

I know what you mean about not visiting - when Riley was at the vets for a week we were desperate to see him but knew he'd just get over-excited which wouldn't have been good for him :( . I'm sure Ozzie won't be sitting there going :notalk: so you're right to wait :lol: .

Re the cat left at the vets, :shock::lol: .

just called in for an update. he's very bright and waggy-tailed; blood count is now up to 22%; he's managing to eat and keep down small meals. they are hoping he will come off his drip later today, and hopefully get up to his full daily calorie intake (in small meals, they dont want to overload his stomach). so all good :D:D

we all really really miss him tho, the house seems so empty and I have lost my shadow! and even tho he's not here I still have to shut the gate because otherwise it seems really strange...

That's great he is picking up. The longest my boy has been at the vets was when he was in for a day, like you say it is a really weird feeling not having them there with you. Hope Ozzie continues to improve and is ready to come home as planned after the weekend.

yay, home tonight! blood count up to 28%, very bright and lively, enjoying everyone's attention :lol:

vet said he'd like to keep him... not coz he needs to but just because everyone loves him... aaah.

will have to go back for blood tests every couple of days to start with, then a review again in a couple of weeks but that's ok.