Egluntyne

Fox deterrent tip.....

Was in Tesco's earlier and the chap on the checkout was intrigued as to why I was buying so many tins of sweetcorn.

When I told him I had hens his eyes misted over hand he went all nostalgic.......as he had kept hens for years.

We got onto the topic of foxes and he gave me his top tip for keeping the fox away....works like a charm he says!

Soak several old rags with neat Jeyes fluid and dot them around the place.

That's it!

Pour more fluid onto them as the smell fades or after a downpour........and he guaranteed (:shock:) that it would keep 't foxes away.

Worth a try I reckon.

I've not heard this tip before so I thought I'd give it a mention.

I'd be inclined to put it around the boundaries.

Certainly not within spitting distance of the Eglu.

One advantage must be that the neighbours wouldn't be able to complain about the smell of chicken poo as it would be overshadowed by the Jeyes fluid.

This is okay Egluntine until you kill one of their cats :shock:

Any Phenolic disinfectant is fatal to cats they only need to get the solution on their paws and absorb it to kill them :?

Basically anything that turns the water white should be used very cautiously :wink:

Even if you don't have cats there are bound to be some nearby and this could be deemed as leaving poison out deliberately to kill them even with your tale about foxes 8)

Laura...did the Jeyes Fluid damage your decking, my girls are regular visitors and leave little messages, so I wanted to give it a really good hose down, Jeyes fluid seems a bit harsh but i wondered if it would keep some of the flies away from the house too ?

:shock:

We aren't troubled much with cats round here as it happens. Next doors two have both died recently. I never minded them visiting....they were very friendly.

Would it kill other mammals in the same way or is it just cats that are sensitive to phenols?

Would hate to cause damage to hedgehogs etc.

Rats though......that's another matter.

Laura...did the Jeyes Fluid damage your decking,

No - I was quite worried becuse I only stained it a few weeks ago but it caused no damage at all. I gently brushed it in and a couple of mins later thoroughly hosed it down.

Dont know about the flies though - I dont seem to see many at all.

Oh, and the cat stays firmly shut indoors during the whole process!!

:shock:

We aren't troubled much with cats round here as it happens. Next doors two have both died recently.

Nothing to do with your Jeyes Fluid then Egluntine? :wink:

No!! Honestly!! :shock: I haven't got any in the house.....and after Louise's advice I might not bother.....( in fact all my cleaning stuff is "green") unless we have problems with uninvited nocturnal visitors.

The two cats next door were ancient. They were mother and son and must have been at least 12 -15 years old.

The mother had a cute habit....we used to have a circular border in the front garden and she used to sunbathe in it. As the sun moved round....so did she....and we used to joke that you could tell the time by looking at where she was lying.